It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Stop the jumping...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NekoisMYBuddy
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-10-15

Stop the jumping... Empty
PostSubject: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am

How can I stop my puppy, from jumping on strangers or new comers to the house.

He is "constant" play mode! He is very intuitive of his surroundings and checks and "looks" at everyone he see's on walks, until I speak or start walking... but its just the jumping to say hello" to everyone that is annoying.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 4:24 am

My trainer has us, when Zoey jumped, pinch the skin between the pads on her foot. When she squeaks she jumps right down. It stopped it immediately.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 4:51 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
My trainer has us, when Zoey jumped, pinch the skin between the pads on her foot. When she squeaks she jumps right down. It stopped it immediately.

I have heard this works as well, but use a different technique.

When you, or someone enters the household, your pup sees them, gets excited for doggie reasons, and goes to greet you/them. Your biggest enemies are your friends, because the dog jumps up, friends greet the dog and start loving on it. This reinforces to the dog, that if he/she jumps up, it will get the reaction it is after.

So what i do when keeonah comes to jump up, is stop dead, be a statue and look up and away from her, ignoring her completely. she jumps up, gets no reaction, stops because it isnt working. AS SOON AS she shows any sign of settling down, give her all the love you can give, and give her a hidden treat too if you want. You reinforce that she doesn't get anything she's after by jumping up, but staying down and waiting for her love gets it for her plus a little something extra Wink. condition her by starting small, and gradually extend the time she has to be calm before earning her reward. You can train as often as you like, because of the dog's poor sense of time, he/she will be just as excited to see at entry 50 as they were at the first try, if you wait long enough in between. pretty funny actually Razz

I always try to heir in favor of positive training vs. aversive conditioning. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I just personally disagree with the techniques.
Back to top Go down
VanaBerry1002
Newborn
Newborn
VanaBerry1002

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 5:14 am

I like this a lot, and has worked for us since Rex had the same problem. Not only was he jumping up on our guests but hounding them through the entire visit. So we had to make it so that when my husband came home from work, and Rex would be super excited, he wouldn't receive any petting or attention until he settled down- Freddy would stand there turned slightly away with his arms crossed and looking away from him until Rex sat and was calm. Over time he has gotten used to not doing this to our guests as well so long as we warn them ahead of time not to encourage his behavior when he does get overly excited.
Back to top Go down
NekoisMYBuddy
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:38 am

Yeah I am getting on him inside the home about jumping. But he hounds guests too much n its very annoying! Hope its just him being a puppy still. But I do tell guests to ignore him n he will occasionally stare or bark to get some attention! But eventually goes away or tries to play fetch.

Thought this breed was independent n where did this jumping like a jack Russell come from!? Really hate those traits but the rest is golden!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:24 am

We were so happy that Appa never did this ... until he started doing it recently. Now the MOMENT Appa jumps up on anyone that comes to visit I remove him from the room and isolate him for a few minutes. This works wonders - the behavior has almost stopped completely.
Back to top Go down
NekoisMYBuddy
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok I will try that immediately, instead of getting on him. Just seperate him from the room n crate him. How long to leave him in the crate once seperated?Once he is quiet??
Back to top Go down
NekoisMYBuddy
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:10 pm

What about in public...
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I do something similar to Sean. I just fold my arms and turn to the side, without even speaking to the dog. It stops him right away. And he gets attention when he is being calm and well-behaved. They jump for attention, and it is really hard to teach because so many people give attention to a dog when it jumps. Dogs seem to learn it on a per person basis to begin with, but then you can ask other people to do the same. I read somewhere once that it takes ten people to do this before the dog generalizes to not jumping on anyone at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Tika was bad for this for a tiny bit.

There are still a couple of select people she loves soooooo much she forgets she isn't allowed to jump up.

We used the ignoring approach.

The very first thing we do is to get the pups to sit or lay down.

Once sitting I step forward to greet the people leaving the pups behind me so to speak.

I then ask that people, in public or at home, ignore the dogs and just talk to me. Don't even look at them.

If they move from this position during the exchange I excuse myself from the conversation, step between the pup and the person they are fixated on and request they sit or lay down again. I stay like that until they do. Then I go back to the conversation.

Once I feel the pups are relaxed enough I invite them into the conversation by releasing them from that position.

If you can control the initial SURGE of "OH MY GOD. PEOPLE.. LOOK THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE! PET ME PET ME PET ME!!!" it tends to mellow out a lot and they tend to not jump up anymore.

You just need to find some way to limit or pass that period of time. Find what works for you and once they are calm again let them join in and be loved Smile

~Chris~

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm

[quote="rileyflorence"]We were so happy that Appa never did this ... until he started doing it recently. Now the MOMENT Appa jumps up on anyone that comes to visit I remove him from the room and isolate him for a few minutes. This works wonders - the behavior has almost stopped completely. [/quote

I'm still haveing issues with Willow jumping and she will be 2 soon. I tried having guests ignore her and she does calm down after a bit but she still does it everytime someone comes over no matter how many times we practice. Depending on the guest, now I just give her timeouts. It hasn't curbed it at all. I think I have the stubbornest husky ever! She just loves people so much she can't stand it! lol! Dakota never jumped on anyone, Aspen doesn't and Piper doesn't....just Willow.
Back to top Go down
NekoisMYBuddy
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Yeah I mean it really is hard because some people love dogs n they don't mind n kind of encourage it so it kinda sucks. Guess I just have to be very mindful n aware of each encounter!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stop the jumping...   Stop the jumping... Empty

Back to top Go down

Stop the jumping...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1