It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Show me your teeth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

teeth - Show me your teeth Empty
PostSubject: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:09 am

I was wondering if anyone else had trained their husky to "show their teeth" on command? And also, how you went about successfully getting them to go it.

I want my Colby girl to show her teeth on command [not attack or anything like that] when i say the word "protect" because my partners x-husband has been coming by lately to pick up his daughter, which is totally fair and fine, but he's recently gotten pretty aggressive towards me, threatening me to "watch out" and shoulder checking me on his way out. I could stay in the house or out of his way when he comes, but he has been physically abusive to my partner in the past and i stay with her to make sure he never lays a hand on her again... and when he came yesterday [this big macho, body builder Brazillian dude], he turned white when he saw my husky Laughing . Come to find out [from my partner] that he's terrified of big dogs and, although i wouldn't consider Colby to be big per-say, [maybe medium] i figure i can use this to my advantage.

i know huskies don't really have a mean bone in their bodies, but when any dog bares its teeth, it can be frightening if you are unable read the body language of a dog. And lets face it, this guys a moron. So i though if i taught Colby to show teeth when i say "protect", it will eliminate his aggressiveness towards me even though the dog wont actually be "protecting" me lol.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:44 am

That would be a hard one to teach. I think the best way would be to "capture" the moment and use clicker training. Like say you want to teach a dog to blink. You wait for the dog to blink and then you click right when it blinks to mark that that is the behavior you want and then reward with a treat. Do this enough times and then add a cue to it like "blink!" After a while the dog will put the two and two together and there you go! But it's easier said than done! lol. You'd have to find some activity where Colby shows her teeth naturally and click and treat when she does. It might take a while.

teeth - Show me your teeth Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

If this guy is the piece of garbage I think he is then the last thing you'd want to give him is any sort ammunition to get your dog put down because it's "aggressive".

This guy shouldn't even have access to his daughter if he's been physically abusive in the past. I'd explain the situation to the police and take him to court for full custody and a restraining order.

At least maybe a grandmother or something can transport the child between you guys if he can't be civil.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 am

SaraB wrote:
That would be a hard one to teach. I think the best way would be to "capture" the moment and use clicker training. Like say you want to teach a dog to blink. You wait for the dog to blink and then you click right when it blinks to mark that that is the behavior you want and then reward with a treat. Do this enough times and then add a cue to it like "blink!" After a while the dog will put the two and two together and there you go! But it's easier said than done! lol. You'd have to find some activity where Colby shows her teeth naturally and click and treat when she does. It might take a while.

i was thinking maybe during her teeth brushing, which we do every day [when i adopted her she had gingivitis]
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:22 am

I was thinking you don't want to give him a reason for "self defense".

But if you're real quick with markers I wouldn't think it would be that hard to teach. Does she bare teeth when you're brushing her?
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 am

Snow White wrote:
If this guy is the piece of garbage I think he is then the last thing you'd want to give him is any sort ammunition to get your dog put down because it's "aggressive".

This guy shouldn't even have access to his daughter if he's been physically abusive in the past. I'd explain the situation to the police and take him to court for full custody and a restraining order.

At least maybe a grandmother or something can transport the child between you guys if he can't be civil.

his mother is illegal and afraid to drive and her mom works all the time. i don't want to be that partner who tells their significant other that i don't want the father to be able to see his daughter. he's never been abusive to her [yet, anyway] because the baby [who's 4] trusts me n my partner because i've been with her since the baby was 6 months old... and my partner wants her to have a dad, which is totally understandable and i couldn't agree more because my father has played a huge role in my life, i've just been lucky because my parents never divorced.... i just wish this asshole wasn't the father.

also, he's barely legal as well. he married my partner mainly for legalization [its a long story... she made him fall and marry him, all the while he has another girl he never told her about... blah blah blah] but wasn't with her long enough to get it... so he likes to stay away from police confrontation as much as possible, especially since we live in such a close-knit neighborhood and my neighbors on every side have seen him be a dick on more than one occasion. plus, the police are familiar with me [my best friends father is the chief of police] and know every animal i've ever owned has been well trained and friendly.

but i never thought about him trying to get my dog put down... i thought there had to be physical contact for that to happen.... so this is a bad idea?
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:25 am

harrise wrote:
I was thinking you don't want to give him a reason for "self defense".

But if you're real quick with markers I wouldn't think it would be that hard to teach. Does she bare teeth when you're brushing her?

she does, but not directly at me or because she's upset. i think the weird feeling of the bristles on her gums are the reasons she does it. she's very docile and doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body.

also, i didn't ever plan on him being near the dog when i did it, just close enough to hear the word protect and see the teeth.

Last edited by lizzyduhh on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to mention something)
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 am

It sounds like a complicated situation for you there. My fear would be how quick agencies can be to reach a conclusion, or take action with just the safety of the child in mind. If he can paint the right picture to the right person, I see nothing but a world of hurt.

I've thought about that command before. With my dogs I would try teaching it with a rope. They really get amped up and snarly for a rope. Marking the lip curl and not a growl would be tricky though. I swear someone here had trained that, but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:21 pm

harrise wrote:
It sounds like a complicated situation for you there. My fear would be how quick agencies can be to reach a conclusion, or take action with just the safety of the child in mind. If he can paint the right picture to the right person, I see nothing but a world of hurt.

I've thought about that command before. With my dogs I would try teaching it with a rope. They really get amped up and snarly for a rope. Marking the lip curl and not a growl would be tricky though. I swear someone here had trained that, but I could be wrong.

mine doesn't get snarly about anything, even tug-o-war.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:34 pm

I would be REALLY careful about that. Like it was meantioned, if Colby bared her teeth, it would only take a SECOND for an agency (IE CPS) to jump to conclusions. My mother was a foster parent for 40 years, and she had kids come in all the time that were taken away from the parents because their dog "Showed aggression" and that can be as simple as the dog showing their teeth.
ETA: It was always reported by the parent that didn't have custody, and in most states, even just an investigation means removing the baby.

With things like this, you have to be VERY careful. I'm very happy you don't live in Texas, because the baby would have been taken and given to the dad already. (Texas SUCKS). I would fight for full custody and get people to confirm that they have witnessed his attitude etc.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
I would be REALLY careful about that. Like it was meantioned, if Colby bared her teeth, it would only take a SECOND for an agency (IE CPS) to jump to conclusions. My mother was a foster parent for 40 years, and she had kids come in all the time that were taken away from the parents because their dog "Showed aggression" and that can be as simple as the dog showing their teeth.
ETA: It was always reported by the parent that didn't have custody, and in most states, even just an investigation means removing the baby.

With things like this, you have to be VERY careful. I'm very happy you don't live in Texas, because the baby would have been taken and given to the dad already. (Texas SUCKS). I would fight for full custody and get people to confirm that they have witnessed his attitude etc.

thank you. now i know that im not going to teach this. maybe her "talking" will be enough.... she loves carrying a conversation. and her voice is very deep

Last edited by lizzyduhh on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:42 pm

lizzyduhh wrote:
Tiff&Kya wrote:

thank you. now i know that im not going to teach this. maybe her "talking" will be enough.... she loves carrying a conversation.

Just get her to go off "talking" every time he comes in. That would definitely be easier to train and safer, stupid people, wise. Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Tape him when ever he comes around to pick up the child. Either video or where a spy bug of some sort and save every damn one of them in case you need the previous references in the future.

(pain in the ass but better safe then sorry.)
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm

I've actually been teaching my husky to show his teeth. What I do is get him all wound out and he will start showing his teeth in a playful way (he's really mouthy) and I have treats and will say "teeth" and give him one every time he does it. Keep in mind I would never do this out in public, I just think it's a cool little trick he does in the house for treats and pictures. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show me your teeth   teeth - Show me your teeth Empty

Back to top Go down

Show me your teeth

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1