It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Essential Oils & Dogs.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Surprises me how many people dislike the smell of Tea Tree oil. I love it and often use it in a water/oil burner when I have a head cold.

My favorite reference book on essential oils for personal use is:

Essential Energy, by Nikki Goldstein

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Energy-Guide-Aromatherapy-Oils/dp/0446912093
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 6:33 pm

So we have been using the oils for months with no problem but now that fall is here the dogs seem to be picking up fleas like crazy! I don't understand why because they've been getting the oils like usual and just this week they got a flea bath and I put a couple extra drops of the lavender oil on their collars right after but a few days later they have fleas again! We are going to flea bomb the house but I still want to know why the oils seem to have stopped working.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 7:26 pm

DON"T BOMB -

Get a bag of Diatomaceous Earth and spread it aorund your house. Then, give them comfortis. Voila! It will be gone...

Just don't bomb, its bad for you and your dogs.

Have you changed Faolans diet? That can be why it stopped working.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:41 pm

As much as I like the smell of the oils within 3-4 days I notice both Adobo & Biko itching in the collar area. Tossed collars in laundry no more oil no more itching. Just something to keep in mind.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Len, did you apply the oils to the outside of the collar (facing out away from the dog)? Oils do cause skin irritation so you don't want it coming into contact with the skin.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 am

Mine soak through the collar - I apply them in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, just a drop - the olive oil acts as a carrier oil, to dilute it enough to be safe against skin, but doesn't stifle scent at all.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 8:52 am

Hmm, I rub the drop along the outside of the collar so it doesn't have a chance to soak through since it's so spread out.

Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 am

mheath0429 wrote:
DON"T BOMB -

Get a bag of Diatomaceous Earth and spread it aorund your house. Then, give them comfortis. Voila! It will be gone...

Just don't bomb, its bad for you and your dogs.

Have you changed Faolans diet? That can be why it stopped working.

I just realized Flea bombs are an actual thing. That's not what I meant, I meant we are just going to spray everywhere with flea killer stuff. I'll try the diatomaceous earth too, thanks.

The only change in Faolan's diet is he went from eating only kibble to having a raw meal every third meal. Legend, my papillon, has been switched entirely to raw.
Back to top Go down
Saide's and Wash's Mom
Newborn
Newborn
Saide's and Wash's Mom

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Hey I know its been a while with this thread but I have been having an issue finding essential oils. The only health food type store in my town doesn't know what grade there oils are and I can't find it on the box or bottle. I want to make sure to get therapeutic grade as that is what I have read is safe for dogs. But I can't seam to find it and the websites I check also don't say what grade the oils are. Does anyone have a website they suggest? I have looked at the ones on this post already and can't find the grade either. Also I have heard about mixing the oil with the dogs shampoo to have the bath help repel the bugs as well does anyone have suggestions on that? Such as how much to use or how to mix it. As always thank you for all the help.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 pm

I get all of my oils off Amazon. Super cheap and fast shipping. Don't worry if you can't find one with a dropper in it; I just use a q-tip instead Smile. For amazon, you just have to type the oil in (expample:lavender oil) and it will bring up a TON of different ones. Like always, just make sure it is 100% Smile.

I'm not sure how much the mixing goes; I haven't personally mixed my oils with my shampoo; but I know most people just mix a couple drops of Tea Tree Oil in with either the shampoo or the water, I'm not 100% sure. I know Lani mixes her oil during baths, so hopefully she will comment Smile. All you have
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 am

Saide's and Wash's Mom wrote:
Hey I know its been a while with this thread but I have been having an issue finding essential oils. The only health food type store in my  town doesn't know what grade there oils are and I can't find it on the box or bottle. I want to make sure to get therapeutic grade as that is what I have read is safe for dogs. But I can't seam to find it and the websites I check also don't say what grade the oils are. Does anyone have a website they suggest? I have looked at the ones on this post already and can't find the grade either. Also I have heard about mixing the oil with the dogs shampoo to have the bath help repel the bugs as well does anyone have suggestions on that? Such as how much to use or how to mix it. As always thank you for all the help.
Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
I get all of my oils off Amazon. Super cheap and fast shipping. Don't worry if you can't find one with a dropper in it; I just use a q-tip instead Smile. For amazon, you just have to type the oil in (example:lavender oil) and it will bring up a TON of different ones. Like always, just make sure it is 100% Smile.
Yup, what Kelsey said. I never knew about the q-tip thing so you can either use that or I went to Kroger (or a local grocery store) and found a pack of two droppers for $0.99. Also the brand on amazon I use is 'greenals', I looked around for the cheaper ones with free shipping. Some are outrageous for no reason, like $10 for less than .5oz, so I looked around until I found the decent ones, I paid $5.65 for 2oz of rose geranium and $3.59 for 1oz lavender. Also pay attention to shipping, some have shipping prices and some don't depending on where they come from.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 6:21 am

First, all you need to really look for is a label that is 100% ___ oil. Doesn't need to be a special therapeutic grade, just make sure you get a pure oil that is not a mix. The label will list all ingredients, so make sure there is only one. Also, try looking online, I buy all my oils online and for very cheap with no need to run all over town looking for them.

Second, I personally would not mix the oils in with your dog shampoo. Essential oils can irritate the skin which is why we don't put them directly on the dogs skin, or our own for that matter, so I prefer to play things on the 'better safe than sorry' side. Could you mix oils in with a shampoo, I'm sure you could but I just wouldn't do it on my own. If you really want the smell in your shampoo to repel pests then I would buy a shampoo that already contains the oils that you want, for example you could use Earthbath's Tea Tree & Aloe dog shampoo which I have used and highly recommend.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 pm

I use therapeutic grade, as I found that works better for ticks in my area. I don't even use the q tip, just dab it on the collar. Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Val, I believe if a carrier oil is in the shampoo it neutralizes it. Argan, Moroccan, even vegetable oils should neutralize any effects.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 6:19 pm

In response to some people asking about the essentials oils and cats. Tea Tree oil is in fact toxic to cats, so please keep this in mind.
Back to top Go down
fuhongnie
Newborn
Newborn
fuhongnie

Male Join date : 2013-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 am

Here's a link that I found that might be useful for husky owners with cats, apparently if you dilute the oils enough it's safe to use on cats too, but only certain oils. http://www.experience-essential-oils.com/essential-oils-for-cats.html

This is the link on the same website for how to use the oils on dogs http://www.experience-essential-oils.com/home-remedies-for-dogs.html

I hope this helps! wave 
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I am so glad we have this thread. I am a little spoiled that we don't really get fleas or tick in area between the dry climate, the long cold winter and the short summers. Also that its a desert like condition they just don't do well here. Most of the vets don't even suggest flea or tick meds. But I am planning a camping trip in sawtooth national park area and with all the forests and stuff I wanted to be extra safe.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 8:20 pm

And I am guessing a little on my pants might work on keeping them off me as well? I really don't like ticks.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Essential Oils & Dogs.   Essential Oils & Dogs. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Essential Oils & Dogs.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4