It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

fishy breath

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:26 am

So I just noticed that Mia's breath started to have a strong fishy smell since friday evening. It was not even gradual, earlier in the day it was perfectly fine, and then on friday evening it was full on fishy. It is not so bad today, but still fishy. As far as I know, and she was not out of my sight on Friday except when she was in her crate, she did not consume anything that would cause this smell. If it helps, she has started losing her baby teeth.
What could have caused this? or is it just normal for this to start? and what can I do to prevent the odor? do those water additives work?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 6:03 am

As to the water additives I used Dental Fresh for Adobo because it is so horrible. The Dental Fresh seemed to work for about 2 months but lately I've noticed her breath is back to its old stinky smell again.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:39 am

Mya started having nasty breath about 6 months ago and just recently Kody started too. Hmmm, wonder if it's the food or something .
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:54 am

I brush Delilah and Cato's teeth. it can be a real chore but it beats getting kisses from a stinker.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:58 am

We brush brewer's teeth 3-5 times per week, and we also give him plenty of bully sticks! No stinky dog breath for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Mya doesn't let us brush her teeth so that's out of the question. Kody does, but it's so hard to get to the back!! This weekend I need to stop by Natural K9 and get them some marrow bones!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm

I have also noticed that in the last 3 weeks, since Delilah has had an elk antler, her teeth are amazing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:16 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Mya doesn't let us brush her teeth so that's out of the question. Kody does, but it's so hard to get to the back!! This weekend I need to stop by Natural K9 and get them some marrow bones!

I think Val says it best..."tough love". Brewer doesn't exactly like me jamming a toothbrush in his mouth either, but it is either that or bad breath and no teeth!?!?!?

Aside from raw venison, marrow bones are the only other treat Brewer actually gets excited for! Just don't disturb him while he is in action Shocked
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Ginger is on fish protein and her breath barely smells like fish and Storm doesn't have bad breath at all even if he's mainly on a fish protein base diet.

Ginger and Storm gets Zukes Z Bones every morning and I also brush their teeth at least 3x a week, and they get at least get another marrow bone or himalayan chew once a week. I can brush their back teeth, but bones or chews that they will use their back teeth help alot.

Storm didn't like his teeth brushed at all when we got him, but we put beef flavored enzyme toothpaste on his toothbrush and let him lick it with the bristles brushing his tongue. Once he got used to the toothbrush, we slowly started to move it around in his mouth so we brush part of his teeth while he licked it. What we also did in between letting him lick the toothbrush was check his teeth - we'd lift his lip so we could see his canines, and front teeth and gave him a treat when he let us do that. Eventually, we put the two together and am now able to brush his teeth as he associates the toothbrush with something beef flavor and letting us pull his lips back with a treat.

Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:53 pm

cmanding wrote:
Ginger is on fish protein and her breath barely smells like fish and Storm doesn't have bad breath at all even if he's mainly on a fish protein base diet.

Ginger and Storm gets Zukes Z Bones every morning and I also brush their teeth at least 3x a week, and they get at least get another marrow bone or himalayan chew once a week. I can brush their back teeth, but bones or chews that they will use their back teeth help alot.

Storm didn't like his teeth brushed at all when we got him, but we put beef flavored enzyme toothpaste on his toothbrush and let him lick it with the bristles brushing his tongue. Once he got used to the toothbrush, we slowly started to move it around in his mouth so we brush part of his teeth while he licked it. What we also did in between letting him lick the toothbrush was check his teeth - we'd lift his lip so we could see his canines, and front teeth and gave him a treat when he let us do that. Eventually, we put the two together and am now able to brush his teeth as he associates the toothbrush with something beef flavor and letting us pull his lips back with a treat.

Awesome help! I'll try that!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyTue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

I found with a electric toothbrush they resist a lot less, which led me to think its because your not jamming the brush in and out of the mouth. Nice and easy like a mouth massage.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyWed May 23, 2012 7:41 am

have the dog checked for worms. When we got Balon he had nasty smelling breath, like tuna, and turned out he had roundworms. They can make a dog have fishy smelling breath.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:26 pm

She's been fully vaccinated and checked already. I actually gave her a C.E.T. Hextra Chew with Chlorhexidine. It was in my puppy pack from the vet and it worked with the breath.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fishy breath Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishy breath   fishy breath Empty

Back to top Go down

fishy breath

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1