It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

*Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

*Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I just don't feel like it was out of spite. He was very very very happy and is super comfortable with us. Dog door is always open, someone was ALWAYS home with him (I was gone for maybe 10 minutes once to go drop off food to my husband), and we'd be in the next room usually when he went and it'd be after we ran, walked, went to the park... I'm not sure if he'd continue to have accidents or not as we have shut off the upstairs, we force him outsice every hour to go pee, I don't less him drink excessively, so he has not have the opportunity to have an accident.

But then again, I've never believed a dog has the ability to be spiteful to it's owners but that's just my personal view on that. Not to mention a year later is a random time to become spiteful haha.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

*Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am

We had a vet visit so I decided to ask Dr M again about this before going to my holistic vet and Dr M mentioned that if it's a low grade infection, crystals wouldn't necessarily show up under the microscope. So we decided to give Storm better vitamin C supplements for a few weeks if it is a low grade infection. Once we finish up the vitamin C, we'll test him with the doggy door closed when we leave to see if he still pees in the house, but we'll make sure we take him out before we leave.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Well....we had another accident on the rug in the kitchen.... Sad

We let him out to pee before we went to bed, and he was already upstairs before we woke up, which he rarely is, and let him out. We didn't notice right away, but hubby stepped on the rug near the stove and found Storm had peed...

We're still finishing up the vitamin C supplements....and this is the first accident he had between the time we went to bed and waking up the next morning.

I have no idea what is going on....he is still drinking a lot at once, and then peeing a lot when he goes.

If the doggy door is open (which we close when we go to bed) he does not have an accident.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm just catching up, but I really feel like it's something medical and not just behavioral. The water issue combined with the peeing would have me concerned. When does he go see Dr. M?

*Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I think it's also medical...I was going to wait until we finish the vitamin C up which should be 3 or 4 more days, but since I have to make an appointment for Ginger to get her bordatella, I'll make one for Storm at the same time.

He's acting normal other than his drinking habit and him peeing in the house (thankfully it's on the hardwood floor) when the doggy door is closed.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah- that's what I would do. Smile

*Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Storm is going to see Dr. Miller today at 3pm....
I just don't want to find out 3 months later that he has a medical issue that could have easily been resolved had we just brought him in 3 months ago....at the very least, I have been keeping Dr. M up to date with this issue since it first started in April.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 2:31 pm

That makes me feel better, Claudia. I'm glad you made a sooner appointment.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 3:10 pm

well i hope dr. M can find out whats going on with storm!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Got back from Dr. M and there's definitely something medically wrong Sad

We discussed what happened overnight, and decided to start with a sterile urine sample and go down a lists of tests to rule out illnesses.

When she brought Storm back into the exam room, she said his urine is SO dilute it is almost water. As she was saying this, Storm peed in the exam room and she was so impressed with the amount he peed that when I said this is how he has been peeing since I first mentioned it starting in April, and sometimes he pees more, she then said, 'There is DEFINITELY something wrong. It's not behavioral at all.'

So, the possibilities that we need to test to rule out are (according to his symptoms):

Kidney failure

• Diabetes

• UTI

• Liver disease

• High blood calcium

• Uncommon abnormalities of the pituitary gland

The next step would be blood work. He is due for a semi-annual check up next month so we'll do it then if we have to. We have baseline blood work from him when he was hypothyroid so we'll have something to compare results to.

I'll keep this updated as we go along....

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:17 pm

So sorry Claudia,

You are in my prayers!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks, Megan.

Last edited by cmanding on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 pm

I had a feeling it was medical Sad

I wonder, Claudia, if it isn't diabetes? He was SO overweight for so long (clearly at no fault of your own), I wonder if it can be caused that way like it is in humans?

He's in my thoughts, poor guy. You guys are GREAT doggy parents and you'll get this figured out!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Yes, Tori!

Dr. M has mentioned that previously because he is borderline. But when we tested back in April, blood and urine came back normal. This wasn't a sterile sample, so this is a more formal urine test than the first. I think she mentioned it's called diabetes insipidous. And if I remember correctly, it's an abnormal function in the pituitary gland that effects some other bodily function that allows him to hold his pee until he's in an appropiate place to pee. She threw out a few scientific terms that I have a hard time keeping up unless I have a notepad to jot some of this down!

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Good luck Claudia Sad
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks Jennet!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:59 am

When will you know what the test say? Hope its nothing to bad! Poor storm can't catch a break Sad good thing he has great parents to take care of him!

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:00 am

Poor Storm.. do let us know when you find anything out from the tests. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

I would put him on distiller water if he isn't currently, with my kidney issues that's what I mostly drink.

Poor Storm Sad

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 am

arooroomom wrote:
I would put him on distiller water if he isn't currently, with my kidney issues that's what I mostly drink.

Poor Storm Sad

Don't mean to hijack, but do you think its necessary to always give dogs distilled water? I have been woindering if tap is safe, even though we use a filtered waterer.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am

mheath0429 wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

Poor Storm Sad

Don't mean to hijack, but do you think its necessary to always give dogs distilled water? I have been woindering if tap is safe, even though we use a filtered waterer.
I don't think so. I think Kristina was merely suggesting this because of the potential for kidney issues. With his health, it's best to go as easy on his body as possible. Distilled water prevents the body from having to work to filter impurities. On a healthy dog, this isn't an issue, just like it isn't an issue for people Smile

That is also to say that your tap water is safe for human consumption. If it's not, I would of course go with distilled for my pups too.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am

We drink it, so I'm assuming it's safe Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 am

jbealer wrote:
When will you know what the test say? Hope its nothing to bad! Poor storm can't catch a break Sad good thing he has great parents to take care of him!
The urine analysis will take 3 to 5 days to come back. We're hoping to hear back by Saturday - I'll update as soon as I hear something back.

I just want to figure out what is wrong as soon as we can so we can treat it while it's in it's early stages. However, some of the tests, such as kidneys and/or liver, sometimes cannot detect illness or disease until it's already 25-50% damaged Sad So my hope is that we rule out as much as we can as soon as we can.

Koda wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

Poor Storm Sad

I don't think so. I think Kristina was merely suggesting this because of the potential for kidney issues. With his health, it's best to go as easy on his body as possible. Distilled water prevents the body from having to work to filter impurities. On a healthy dog, this isn't an issue, just like it isn't an issue for people Smile

That is also to say that your tap water is safe for human consumption. If it's not, I would of course go with distilled for my pups too.
Denver tap water is supposed to be one of the best but that doesn't mean to say that it is free of any and/or all impurities.

I could start giving him filtered water (from the fridge) or is distilled water better? (I always seem to get confused or forget on what the difference is).

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 am

I would still go with bottled or distilled water. Filtered water is actually just filtered. Distilled is a process (I believe) involving boiling.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I would go with distilled even over bottled. Obviously when you can, it's impossible to make everything he drinks or eats come with distilled water.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)     *Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)   - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

*Updated title - Diabetes Insipidous (drinking and peeing excessively)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next