It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seizures???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyMom
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-30

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:34 pm

My friends Husky [Nova, Orion and Scouts dad] suffers from Seizures, they take excellent care of him and he's only about 1 and a half years old. Should I be concerned this could be genetic? I'm worried that one of my beloved babies could fall ill and it'd break my heart. Is this rare case or do other Huskies deal with it? Any info would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Quote :
Idiopathic epilepsy (seizure of unknown origin) is most commonly seen in otherwise healthy animals, between the ages of 1 and 5 years, and may be inherited in certain breeds. Beagles, Keeshonden, Irish Setters, Belgian Tervurens, Siberian Huskies, Springer Spaniels, Golden Retrievers, and German Shepherds may be genetically predisposed to idiopathic epilepsy.*

*Source: Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th, edition.

I found this in a quick search - I have never dealt with a dog who had seizures directly. I'd contact your vet to see if there is anything that you can do to try and find out if it is actually Idiopathic or if there is a cause (there's a number of causes)

Seizures??? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyMom

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks I will definitely ask at their next appointment. I was aware when I got them but didn't remember to ask when we last took them. I hope it's something I can prevent from becoming an issue.
Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-17

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:34 pm

I can't help you with Huskies and seizures but I can tell you that our Golden, Seven, suffered from epilepsy from the age of 2 on. She lived to be 13 and was an amazing friend. The seizures are not easy for anyone but we learned how to adapt. Hopefully your huskies will be unaffected, but know that even with it, they can live a long, happy life Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyMom

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss, but it's comforting he lived so long with those health problems.. Its great he was able to live a fulfilling life.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyWed May 30, 2012 11:08 pm

You're welcome Smile Hopefully they'll be okay Smile.

If the seizures are genetic then it won't be anything you can prevent but you can manage.

Quote :
What causes seizures?
Seizures can be caused by numerous things - poisons, skull injury, brain tumor, viral and bacterial infections, congenital malformations, heat stroke, parasites, fungal infections, low blood sugar (diabetics), and so on. By doing a physical exam and blood work, most causes can be eliminated.

Also found that to help out.

Seizures??? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:51 am

FWIW, I have heard from not only my holistic vet, but also a coworker that acupuncture can really help with seizures. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 1:05 am

Depending on what's causing the seizures it can be genetic.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:37 am

HuskyMom wrote:
My friends Husky [Nova, Orion and Scouts dad] suffers from Seizures, they take excellent care of him and he's only about 1 and a half years old.

Wait a minute - Nova is 11 months and Orion is 2 1/2 months old right? Their father is only 1 1/2???
So the father sired his first litter at something around 7 months old??!!

Seizures??? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:38 am

Last edited by mheath0429 on Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:42 am

Yikes.. two strikes.. you don't breed dogs with epilepsy and you don't breed dogs under 2, much less under 1.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:44 am

hides............ Seizures??? 1347041234
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:06 am

Damnit, every time I say something you people break out the popcorn, lol. I'm just being honest. Breeding a 7 month old male is pretty sad and even worse when he has epilepsy.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:22 am

I agree with you heather, and everyone else. Breeding any dog at 7 months is too young. Now dogs with health issues is even worse.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:23 am

Knowingly supporting the people doing the breeding is just as bad if not worse.

(this is a general statement)

Seizures??? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Thu May 31, 2012 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:26 am

What's done is done- he was bred, you have your pups, yes it is possible they may have seizures or anything else you are unaware the dog may have in it's genepool- I get these are yours dogs and you love them regardless 'of where they came from', but you should tell your neighbor to chop it's dogs jewels off to prevent the possibility of producing more unneeded dogs that could have epilepsy or anything else that would show up in his testing he can't get until he is 2 and realize breeding a baby is a very sad thing to do.

ETA: Yes, I realize this post is not to make any judgements and is to educate yourself on this disease, but you do have to realize this is a dog forum where people have very passionate beliefs and are going to assert those when they see something they find irresponsible. I am not going to sit here and make you feel guilty about your dogs, but I will speak out saying that your friend needs to do their research and really has to be something else to take his 7 month old dog who has epilepsy and not old enough to health test to breed- for no good reason.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:20 am

ruhruoh.. affraid
he suffers from seizures and they don't take him to get in to get tested...

We need a red flag emotion tori lol!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 10:17 am

Seizures most certainly can be genetic. It can be managed with diet and medication of course.

If dad is epileptic I would really discourage you from breeding your dogs (regardless if they show signs) but there has been some studies which show it's best to leave epileptic dogs intact to help control the seizures. So if it does come about some of them are affected- there are a few routes to take.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? EmptyThu May 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Niraya wrote:
HuskyMom wrote:
My friends Husky [Nova, Orion and Scouts dad] suffers from Seizures, they take excellent care of him and he's only about 1 and a half years old.

Wait a minute - Nova is 11 months and Orion is 2 1/2 months old right? Their father is only 1 1/2???
So the father sired his first litter at something around 7 months old??!!

glad i did not have to point that one out....

i hope you take your pups in to be tested/checked and good luck. talk to your friend as well, has Nove sired any other litters?

Seizures??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seizures???   Seizures??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Seizures???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1