It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Freya's first Crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Freya's first Crate Empty
PostSubject: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 9:20 am

Ok, so I live in Australia and Crate training isnt practices very often here (i've met one person who does it). I'd never heard of it before until I started doing some research on training dogs.

So I've got Freya a small crate (A large one for when she gets bigger). I've put in some polar fleece blankets to make her comfroatble. This afternoon I put some treats randomly in it and put her inside and let her go for it. She was good until she realised I had left the room (3 minutes maybe). She whined for about 5 minuted, until she stopped for a few seconds and I let her out - She was so happy to be out, it was like she hadnt seen me in days.

About 30 mins later I got a KONG out of the freezer filled with lamb mince. She liked that for about 10 minutes, again until she realised that the door was locked and I had left the room. She cried until there was a break and I let her out with lots of cuddles and love.

I left the crate open and put liver treats in it randomly, I also left her KONG in there which she returned to occasionally with the door open.

Now I've just put her in the crate with a blanket over the top to make it more 'den like'.
She was crying for a bit when I went for a shower. When I came out she was crying so much, she was really quite worked up, her whine was getting so deep I'm pretty sure she was about to break out in a howl.

She quietened down for about 10 minutes, but started up again for a bit, nothing like she was before, but still crying. She has since stopped again.

I'd like this to be her down for the night. Will leaving her in the crate for a few hours (even if she does cry), taking her out to go potty, then putting her back in give her a negative association to it?

Am I doing the right things in trying to ease her into the crate? When will she get over the crying and just accept it as part of life?

She is quiet atm - Ahh, peace perfect peace.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:07 am

She woke up 2 hours after I put her in the crate.
She did a poo on the puppy mat (We had a little party) we did some floor play, then I put her back in the crate, pulled the blanket over. She cried for about 3 minutes and is now asleep again. I'm hoping she is learning that the crate is her bed.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:08 am

For most dogs it is not an overnight adjustment. It may take her a few weeks to get used to the idea of being crated, but it seems like you are on the right track with it. Just don't give in to her whining, even when she sounds like she's being tortured. Lol
Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Smile

She has been in the crate for an hour now and although she cried when she heard me moving around the house, she settled right down again after a few minutes.

Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 pm

That's really good! She is adorable by the way!!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks, I've fallen hard for her, I'm a little infactuated.
I look at all the other pics of the huskies here, and she loks so different. She has the face of one and the coat of one, but the colouring of the mastiff in her (her father was 1/4 mastiff).
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:12 pm

It took Siku about 4 days of sleeping in the crate overnight, before she would stop screaming! Ear plugs are your friend! lol. And though love does pay off in the end!

Freya's first Crate Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 6:42 pm

https://2img.net/h/i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o581/FrenchMaiden/FREYABorn20-4-2012042.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o581/FrenchMaiden/FREYABorn20-4-2012036.jpg

The first pic is of her having just woken up from a 2 hour sleep, I'm sure she's sick of all the photos.
The second is her playing with her KONG.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 3:38 pm

she is really cute! My Balon cried and whined and howled in his crate for 3 weeks! I am not kidding. Then suddenly he just stopped, and he wasn't really alone since my labs crate is right next to his.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 pm

She's asleep in her crate atm, I leave the radio on for her, I dont know if it hgelps or not, but I like to think it does.

I put her in her crate while I went to have a shower just now and she cried but when I came out again, she was quiet (not sleeping, just settled), then ofcourse my phone rang and she heard my voice and it started up again, but she's asleep now.

She still cries at night when I take her out to go potty, and then put her back in again, but nothing like it was the first night. Not as much attempting to howl going on.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 11:30 pm

I note for you we got a rescue from a shelter Kerian we named her well she was crate trained as a puppy.. She now is 2 years old. when we got her I put the crate up and she goes into it to sleep during the day the feels very at home in it. at night she loves it.

Now Blaze the my other Husky we got him at 9 months old and he would not sleep in the crate threw a fit the first night and my husband would not make him sleep in it he sleeps on a dog bed in our bedroom now he is now 19 months old does very well. now my husband want to let Kerian sleep in our bedroom also but she is happy in the crate currently. I think we should leave her for now.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:31 am

it it's not broke dont fix it, I think if she likes to sleep in her crate then let her be.
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:15 pm

were on day 6 with our boy. He whines for about 30 minutes an then goes to sleep.. When I take him out to go potty at like 3 am he will want to play but I dont want him thinking that at night time play is an option, so he'll whine again for 30 minutes or so. Tough love and what Sara said ear plugs are your friend!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freya's first Crate   Freya's first Crate Empty

Back to top Go down

Freya's first Crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1