It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

House training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kato37
Newborn
Newborn
Kato37

Male Join date : 2012-06-04

House training Empty
PostSubject: House training   House training EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Hey guys i'm not sure if this falls under this category but I am going to pick your brain here just a little bit. Okay so as some of you may know, I recently picked up a 4 month old siberian husky, at first he was horrible with accidents, but that was expected as he was in new territory, over his time spent here he has progressed really well to the point where he can be doing his own thing and come to us and let us know it's time to pee, he went all weekend accident free and I was super proud.... However not 10 minutes ago I went upstairs to get ready for my ball game and I asked my sister to keep an eye on him so I didn't have to put him in his crate, she informed me that as soon as she entered the room he looked at her, stood up and peed right on the bed he was laying on. Is this normal behaviour? Is it a dominance thing? or an anxiety issue? He had just been out to pee 5 minutes before I left him to go get ready. another possibility is it was simply an accident by a young puppy learning to be house trained?

let me know what you think.

Thanks a ton,
Nick.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 6:59 am

i will assume that at his age that he is not yet neutered. This sounds like a case of marking to me. a person he doesn't report to entered his space, so he stood up and marked his bed to let her know that it was his space.

Without knowing the pup's symptom's, it seems a little hard to diagnose. If he is coming up to you and letting you know it's time to go, you would think he would act a little more frantic trying to make his way outside to go, instead of just standing up and peeing on his own bed.

Just my .02 though. At 4 months old it's really possible he just couldn't hold it, but 5 mins after a potty break, and the location and timing suggest something else

regardless of the reason though, he still peed inside, so activity like that needs to be corrected and curbed so that he will stop going inside for any reason at all.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 am

My male Dalmatian had a problem "marking" thing's in his first year (especially our couch). I made an apt ASAP to get him neutered and 9 year's later, he still hasn't done it again. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kato37
Newborn
Newborn
Kato37

Male Join date : 2012-06-04

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Well, it's the first thing hes marked like that, so hopefully theres not much more to follow Smile our vet suggested getting him neutered at 6 months, so my appt is booked for when he will be 6 months old Smile hopefully that will solve the issue!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 am

Exactly most vets will not neuter or spay until around 5-6 months,Balon will wait until 6 months because he has only lost two baby teeth, they like to wait in case any baby teeth need to be pulled.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 12:23 pm

We have been on the fence when it comes to neutering Cato. I am a firm believer in spay and neuter. Delilah is spayed and it was the best decision for her. I don't have to worry about various cancers and she doesn't have to be a crazy dog 2 times a year. But with Cato, it's different. I've been doing a lot of research and it doesn't suggest that males are better off being neutered. I'm speaking strictly from a scientific and medical stand point.

That being said, we are on the fence because of marking issues. He has peed on every bed we have ever gotten he and Delilah. However, its not a lot and it happens randomly, not necessarily after he has already gone to the bathroom. He is 5 months now , and otherwise doesn't seem to mark. It is literally just on the dog beds. We correct him after and take him outside.

Our vet actually didn't think it was marking, because when he did it he was very young, about 3 months. Either way, she doesn't believe in neutering until 12 months for male puppies. Apparently she has seen a lot of growth issues with early neuter. This is my holistic vet that I trust completely.

We are going to keep an eye on marking, but he doesn't lift his leg anywhere, including the dog park and he has never marked anywhere else. It will be a waiting game for us.

BTW, we are not worried about keeping him contained. We never allow our dogs off leash, even in our back yard (which is fenced) we put them on tie outs and our outside with them. We never leave them by themselves. The only time they are allowed off leash is at the dog park. Intact females are not allowed during heat and there is someone constantly monitoring our park.

Just my two cents, and I will probably catch some scrutiny, but I trust my vet wholeheartedly. We have had some bad vets, this one is great.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Montana14
Puppy
Puppy
Montana14

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't know much about neutering since Dakota came to us already neutered when we adopted him. We got Montana as a puppy and I waited until she was about 12 months old before I had her spayed. My vet does promote spaying and neutering but he also does push us into it. The first time I asked about it, he strongly recommended that we spay her but also told me that we should wait until we were comfortable having it done. At the time she was just 5 months and I just didn't feel comfortable doing it too early. Not to mention he recommended waiting until she was older, his suggestion was around 10 to 12 months as he was also concerned with growth issues. I'm glad I did spay, Lord knows we don't need any puppies,lol. I'm also glad I waited because when she did get spayed I didn't worry, I knew she was in good hands and I had made the best decision for her.

From what you described it does sound like Kato was marking. Also remember that neutering doesn't always stop marking 100%. Dakota never marks in our house, but when we go to the dog park he does mark, but I believe that is because other dogs are doing it. I also believe marking is partially a learned behavior.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

House training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House training   House training Empty

Back to top Go down

House training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1