It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bladder crystals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brandi.houtz
Newborn
Newborn

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 am

Diesel has been diagnosed with bladder crystals by ultrasound. He had urination with bleeding about 7 months ago, but they just treat it as a UTI. Then he had the same thing happen about 5 weeks ago along with a patchy flakey rash, so they performed the ultrasound and lots of other lab work to see what was going on. Everything else came back in normal ranges. He only had the crystals and a little weight loss, so they gave a course of antibiotics for 5 days and recommended we try out a new food as they thought it was allergy related (we are stationed in Italy and the base vet could not see him for a few weeks, so we were forced to go to an Italian emergency veterinary clinic).

His symptoms cleared up after the first day like before, but this weekend we saw he passed some crystals and today had a little blood in his urine. He also has had some mucousy stools and has been licking his paws, so I think he is allergic to his new food too. The vet on base will be seeing him on Wednesday, but I have a feeling they will want to put him on Science Diet and that's all just fillers.

From what I'm seeing online, he should have been on antibiotics longer, or was perhaps on the wrong type of antibiotics for the type of bacteria causing his UTI/crystals.

We also got some of the Solid Gold berry balance. He just finished up the month long course of that 2 times per day and is on the maintenance dose of one dose 3 days a week.

Anyone else dealt with crystals and have advice that doesn't include Science Diet prescription food? I've contacted the kennel where we got him, but they are working with a certain food brand now, so she thinks that is the ONLY food and it's a cure all. I have nothing against it, but they charge just as much to ship as the bag of food costs, so it's not worth $100 a bag for it when I can get other foods rated at the same level shipped for nothing to FPO/APO addresses.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 am

Changing the dogs water to distilled water can help, as crystals are from the large amount of minerals sometimes found in drinking water or pet foods.

I also found this, worth a read.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/bladder-stones-crystals/

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
brandi.houtz
Newborn
Newborn

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:16 am

I wonder if what we are giving him is mineral water.... I'll have to look into it. We all drink bottled water since the water here is questionable. The label is all in Italian though, so I'm not sure if it's mineral or distilled or what really. He didn't start having trouble until we got here and started drinking this water now that you mention it and I've sat here trying to sort things out in my head.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 am

You want distilled. Not spring or mineral.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Another idea that can help flush crystals out and keep them from forming is really increasing their water intake. Increasing the water intake will in turn mean more frequent urination. More frequent urination will help reduce crystal formation by removing them before they really have a chance to form and sit. Easy ways to increase water intake are foods with a higher water content (like wet or raw instead of dry kibble), increased exercise will likely lead to drinking more, and even adding flavor to the water bowl (something as simple as adding a little bit of chicken or beef broth) can increase water consumption. And of course as Kristina suggested, using distilled water in their water bowl is advisable.

Newborn
Newborn

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 am

We've been trying to up his water intake, but at the vet today they said he is a little dehydrated. His blood labs came back clear though. He looks good other than the bladder/crystals issue. We are at home for a bit collecting urine since he wouldn't go for it at the vet. The vet is thinking the Italian vet either treated him for too short of a time period or he did not take the time to make sure he was using the correct antibiotic for the type of bacteria Diesel has going on.

Hopefully we will have some more answers in the next few hours. Waiting on my toddler to wake up so we can take this urine sample back over to their lab.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 am

Keep trying. When I add a bit of chicken broth to my dogs' water bowl they can't get enough to drink and I have to keep shooing them away from it after a while before they start having accidents from drinking TOO much. Lol

Newborn
Newborn

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 am

I tried some beef broth since that's all we have at home right now. That doesn't seem to be making too much of a difference. I'll grab him some chicken and see if that makes a difference. He needs to go take some notes from the cat because she can put some water away LOL
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am

Have you tried wet food? I will sometimes add wet and then warm water to kibble to get more water in them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bladder crystals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bladder crystals   Bladder crystals Empty

Back to top Go down

Bladder crystals

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1