It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? Empty
PostSubject: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 pm

I've fed my dog almost an entire bag of Acana Pacifica. He loves it, as he does with all foods i've given him, but dang he gets gassy!!! I can watch a movie or something and all the sudden he'll stink up the whole room!!! This is the only significant diet change he's had...so i'm pretty sure this is what the problem is. My dog is a GSD-Husky mix. Do you guys have any suggestions on a food that is just as high of quality, but perhaps not so rich? He also has a sensitive tummy...being part shepherd and all. They seem to have lots of tummy isseus! However the Acana hasn't given him diarrehia or anything.

Thanks!!!

Kelsey
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 pm

We had the same issue! Gas, Gas, Gas! I think a lot of it has to do with the protein to fiber ratio. We switched to Blue Buffalo in the mornings and Grandma Lucy's Pureformance in the evenings. The gas went away.

Both of the foods our pups are on now have a significant increase in fiber. No gas issues whatsoever and they are still happy and well fed. We had this problem with both the wild prairie and pacifica. It's only 3% fiber and the wilderness salmon (also high protein) is 6.5% fiber.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Oh lovely! Haha. Gas is so terrible in dogs, i swear. I've never heard of the Grandma Lucy's. I don't know if there is anywhere around here to buy that. I'm in Austin,TX. What kind of Blue did you feed? I know there are tons of types! I'm iffy about putting him on the Wilderness one though...it's got a lot of protein in it.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Huskies do great on high protein diets. My dogs are on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon or Duck... It's only got 1% more protein than the Acana.

I'm unsure why you are hesitant to put your dog on Wilderness when your dog was on Acana?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

It may be an ingredient thing too. Ghost got horrible paint peeling gas on the TOTW High Prairie formula, so we switched to the Pacific Stream formula and she's fine. Lulu will get bad gas whenever she eats chicken based food, and I know several other dogs like that as well. You might have to try a few different foods to find out what works for you, and don't forget to do gradual shifts so you don't give him diarrhea.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Honestly, i may just keep him on Acana and see how he does later on. I've heard that dogs who get switched over to it are often gassy at first, but then it starts to go away. Maybe he just needs time? He has gotten somewhat better. And i was unsure about putting him on the Wilderness cause i thought it had a significant percentage of higher protein. It doesn't sound like it would be that drastic of a change though if it's only 1%
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Yep only 1%, I just checked.
Back to top Go down
vhrocks323
Newborn
Newborn
vhrocks323

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Have you ever tried Innova EVO or the Instinct?

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/8

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Kale is on Evo right now and his poops and coat are the best that they have been since he was a puppy. I'm actually really impressed. He's on Grandma Lucys Pureformance Lamb and Evo Herring and Salmon.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:41 pm

vhrocks323 wrote:

I use dry food only about once a week, but one of the few dry foods we rotate through is Natures Variety Instinct. We have tried the rabbit and the salmon formulas. My two do much better on the rabbit. The salmon made their stool a little loose. No problems with gas on the Instinct for my two. Never tried EVO. Thought about it in the past, but then P&G bought out Natura, which is the company that use to produce EVO. I've decided to stay away from it now, I just personally don't trust P&G not to mess with the quality and source of the ingredients.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:09 am

We fed nearly every variety of Acana with no gas issues. Perhaps try a different protein source? I really liked grasslands the best.

Valkyrie gets Natures Variety Instinct salmon and we have a bag of duck too. She does fine on it. I would not go the EVO route for reasons mentioned.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 am

If the only problem with your dog is gas then I don't think the issue is that the food is too rich, rather it's probably an ingredient in that formula causing the gas. If I were in your shoes, I'd simply try a different formula and see how it goes. It's kind of like how beans tend to make people gassy for example, and if they do one tends to avoid them. They don't do any real harm, just have slightly unpleasant side effects (smell and sometimes mild stomach discomfort). If you like Acana perhaps try another of their formulas and go from there.

Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:02 am

You could try reducing the amount you are feeding...that might help with the gas (or try the other suggestions of changing formula)
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am

I see you live in Texas. Try Victor or Precise. Both of these are actually made by companies that know about dog foods, not shifty, recall-plagued smoke and mirror frauds like Champion.

Champion products are garbage, made to appeal to owners, generally owners with little or no experience. Champion does not even employ a clinical nutritionist and the CEO is from the chemical industry.

It is your money, clearly the food is not good because your dog has a problem with it. If you do a little a research you will find this is the case for Orijen as well.

It is crap.

Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:50 am

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
vhrocks323 wrote:

I use dry food only about once a week, but one of the few dry foods we rotate through is Natures Variety Instinct. We have tried the rabbit and the salmon formulas. My two do much better on the rabbit. The salmon made their stool a little loose. No problems with gas on the Instinct for my two. Never tried EVO. Thought about it in the past, but then P&G bought out Natura, which is the company that use to produce EVO. I've decided to stay away from it now, I just personally don't trust P&G not to mess with the quality and source of the ingredients.

I am laughing at your post because Nature's Variety sold out to a shifty private equity firm with nothing but financial motives. Is that better than Natura being owned by P&G? Champion, Wellness, Eagle., The Honest Kitchen, Holistic Select all sold out too.

Nature's Variety uses some of the lowest quality proteins on the market. All you have to do is look at the ash content. Horrible food.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow, I'm amazed by the misinformation posted by toomanyhuskies. Clearly someone needs to check their facts before posting blatantly wrong information the way you do. But I've seen your other posts in the past and already know it's not worth my time arguing with someone who ignores logic and obviously can't be bothered with fact checking. I don't care that you have differing opinions but posting things as fact that are clearly wrong like some of the companies you say have sold out is something I do have a problem with.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 1:41 pm

TooManyHuskies must just come on here when they are bored and want to stir up internet drama. What a sad life. Trolling a dog forum is pretty lame, go hit up 4chan or something.

However, note: NV did up their ash content and it is pretty high (most foods I think are 7-8%, theirs is 12). We bought a bag 2 weeks ago and switched it out because of that, but it all depends on what your concerns are. Higher ash contents have been mentioned to contribute to UTIs which Ro is prone too so I can't have that. NV is NOT a shitty food, though.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Hey Heather,

Do you know what the ash content is for Blue Wilderness?
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 6:16 pm

No idea. A lot of food doesn't disclose their ash content from what I've seen, so you'd have to e-mail.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Heather! wrote:
TooManyHuskies must just come on here when they are bored and want to stir up internet drama. What a sad life. Trolling a dog forum is pretty lame, go hit up 4chan or something.

However, note: NV did up their ash content and it is pretty high (most foods I think are 7-8%, theirs is 12). We bought a bag 2 weeks ago and switched it out because of that, but it all depends on what your concerns are. Higher ash contents have been mentioned to contribute to UTIs which Ro is prone too so I can't have that. NV is NOT a shitty food, though.

I was thinking the same thing, bet they do the same thing on all sorts of other forums. What a pathetic existence.

Thanks for the info on the ash content increase. Kitty is UTI prone so I also like to avoid excessive ash content.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 pm

I think trolls know dog forums get a little crazy about things such as spaying/neutering and nutrition so they like to engage in some fun, lol.

You're welcome. I would definitely suggest looking for alternatives if she is UTI prone. It's a bummer as aside from that, I really like their food, especially since it is potato free.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I will say though that Annamaet's grain free formulas are pretty good if you don't mind 3-4 protein sources, they are low on ash. They're pretty darn pricey though, especially since you won't really find a local carrier...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Emailed!
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Use something made by a company that knows how to make food for dogs, not a marketing company targeting novice pet owners.
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Heather! wrote:
I will say though that Annamaet's grain free formulas are pretty good if you don't mind 3-4 protein sources, they are low on ash. They're pretty darn pricey though, especially since you won't really find a local carrier...

Salcha is $53 in NJ for 30lbs. The best GF on the market. The same nutritionist that invented the first performance kibble formulated this food after seeing how bad most of them are. Low ash, a novel mix of fresh fiber, Omegas 3' over 1% and small batch processing.

Use foods made by experts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??   Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Acana seems to be too rich for my dog. Suggestions??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next