It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Green discharge from eyes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

Green discharge from eyes Empty
PostSubject: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:48 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I've been meaning to post pictures of my huskies. I justhaven't had a chance to hop on my laptop.

Anyway, I was hooping if someone could help me out. My new puppy, Shade, I got from a breeder in SD. He is happy and healthy from what I can tell, he is acting like a normal puppy but his eyes are a bit red and have a little bit of a yellow-ish green discharge. The discharge doesn't smell bad and wipes off with warm water. I took him to the vets recently to get his booster shots and asked her about it, the vet said his eyes look like it could be allergies.

So does anyone else have any suggestions? He doesn't paw at his eyes and they don't see to be bugging him but the discharge has be concerned.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 am

Any abnormal discharge would have me concerned. I'd get a second opinion from another vet.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

It could be allergies, infection or they may have something else going on with their eyes such as a scratch on the cornea. Any eye discharge that is yellow-ish or green-ish would indicate the above and can be cleared up with eye drops depending on what it is that is causing the abnormal discharge. Otherwise, white/cream-ish or brown-ish discharge is normal.

I would get a second opinion...

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am

Jack has seasonal allergies, he gets a green disscharge out of his left eye more then the right. And it seems to be more in the morning with just a little bit at night. We have had it rulled as allergies as it seems to happen this time every yr we have had him.
Is his in both eyes or just one? Do you notice it all day long or once a day?

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I clean his eyes in the morning and the discharge doesn't come back until the next day. It's in both his eyes. I can take him to another vet next week when I get paid but I really don't like the other vet in my town. They are very money hungry vets x.x they want 100 dollars just to see your animal. My vet said to give him a teaspoon of children's Benadryl 3 times a day and see if that clears his eyes up. Has anyone else done that before?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Is it green? Or just a discharge? Does it cover his eyes in the AM before you clean them out?

I would rinse his eyes out with a sterile saline solution in the AM- but if you could get a pic in the morning before cleaning that would help us to see if it could be infection or would be just some allergy/irritation.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Jacks stream of yuck comes right from his tear-duck area then balls up on the fur, when i wipe it away i get a string of goo coming from in the eye, i will try to get a pic as well to compare the 2.

since your puppy is new to you its hard to pin this as just allergy's since you have no past on him. if one vet said it was allergy's and he did an eye check on him then it might just be that, im not sure a 2nd option is needed unless you see something that is off, like pawing at the eye or redness or its swelling. thats a hefty fee for the other vet to just "look" at him.

Puppy
Puppy
nash

Male Join date : 2012-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Dalton has the same thing, it could very well be allergies, or it could be a small infection. If it keeps up for more than a week or so, I would take him back to your current vet and say that you would like to try something since it has not cleared up on it's own. Ask the vet what else could cause something like your dogs symptoms, and what they would suggest as treatment. Don't be afraid to ask your vet questions!
Back to top Go down
http://www.toocutetokill.blogspot.com
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Adobo had similar situation a few months back, vet told me to get saline solution for her eyes and squirt some in them a couple times a day. She hated it but it seemed to work for her as within 2-3 days she was all cleared up.
Back to top Go down
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Did you try the children's benedryl as the vet suggested? I would try that before going to another $100.00 vet visit. Make sure its the children's benedryl as the adult benedryl makes most adults feel sleepy/ drugged and dogs weigh much less than us so would be too strong of a dose for them.
Back to top Go down
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 pm

I'll try to take a picture of it in the morning. I haven't tried the Benadryl yet. I'm going to pharmacy in the morning. His eyes were a little red a couple of days ago but since I've been cleaning his eyes they are no longer red. He doesn't paw at his eyes or anything so I don't think they are bothering him.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:24 pm

You may want to also consider a tear deficiency - my mother's Maltese has dry eyes and has ZERO tear production which caused him to have ulcers - but he gets a yellow/green discharge/film type...thing (basically it is just ick to me) whenever he's not getting his eye drops. It was very easy to wipe away.

Green discharge from eyes Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply again, I got hit in the head while cleaning. I got a concussion and the doctor told me no electronics and not to do much of anything lol. But his eyes have cleared up. I cleaned his eyes out with the saline solution and a dose of children's Benadryl in the morning for two days. The green discharge hasn't came back yet. So I'm guessing he might have had something in his eyes from the flight or maybe the change in climate messed with his eyes.

Thank you all for the help though Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Hayden had goopy eyes really bad until he was about 6 months old. I had to wipe his eyes 2-3 times a day. He still get's it, but really only in the morning. I brought it up to our vet once and she didn't show any concern. I believe also it's allergies. Nicky gets a goopy eye every now and then, but no where near as bad as Hayden's.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it is seriously bothering you.
Back to top Go down
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm guessing my puppy has the same issue as your dog then. I'm not worried about it. He doesn't seem like his eyes are bugging him and I don't mind wiping his eyes. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an eye infection or something serious.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Koda just started getting these exact symptoms about a week ago.. It started with his left eye.. Not his right eye is doing it. His right eye since I had him always was opened a tiny bit more most couldn't tell.. And a little red.. But today since it started with the discharge it is pretty red.. A while back i was giving him benydrel every because he was sneezing. It helped after a while i stopped. Then bout week later discharge started. So u guys thing allergies? I'm just nervous cause it looks greenish too me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green discharge from eyes   Green discharge from eyes Empty

Back to top Go down

Green discharge from eyes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1