It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Trillion's knee post.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

Trillion's knee post. Empty
PostSubject: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:37 am

Hi everyone,
earlier today Trillion fell off a rock/dirt pile in my backyard (i live in the mountains) it's like 2 1/2 foot fall, well... she didnt fall let me correct that, she jumped off, but she was on a tie out due to not having a fence, but I was out there with her, she regularly just jumps off to come say hello or play with one of our other dogs (which have a better recall than her Embarassed )
and it looked like (it all happened so fast) that the tie out got stuck on the top of a rock and she landed wrong.
She cried (more like screamed) for a good 5 minutes non stop, and i was there checking her out (she was laying down) and trying to see what happened and if anything was noticeably broken, her leg looked in a normal position
so i put her head down in case she tried to bite and lifted her onto all four from the top with my hands around her just under her upper armpits she stood for a second but almost fell, i held onto her and slowly let her go, she stood there but her legs kinda buckled. i called her to come over to me to see if she would walk (she had her leg literary dragging on the floor) and should would try to take a step and start crying. Eventually i got her to take a few steps...well more like hops and she would cry. at this point i had a doctors appointment down the mountain and i had to go, i left her in the care of my brother and my three sisters. (who all live at home) i was gone for a while I came back and they said she hadn't tried to get up a single time from the spot she was in, and so i decided it was time to take her upstairs, where my room is to lay down. i tried to get her up a stair or two and she fell down and cried, and whenever another dog would come near her she would hide and cry. i eventually had to pick her up and carry her upstairs, and lay her down she was whimpering at this point, the area by her leg doesn't look swollen then again she has SO MUCH BUTT FLUFF!!!
and when i picked her up i realized there was a wet spot under her and on her tummy, turns out she peed on herself.
I called the vet but they're closed and i called the emergency vet (which is a few hours away) and they said to let her sleep on it and if she still cant walk in the morning then to bring her in as soon as possible.
which works since my boyfriend is getting work off tomorrow to take her to the vet either way even if she can walk on it, just to be safe.

Anyways im freaking out, Trillion is my baby and those crys she made just tore my heart apart. she's sleeping now on my bed.

any advice, do you think it's broken?
she went from dragging it to holding it up, she does not put ANY weight on it at all, she doesn't even put it down when she's standing. its up. and she hops and when she hops she whimpers.
Im hoping it's just sore but it's really got me worried.

Last edited by pandactivity on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 4:15 am

VET. if there is any question at all, go straight to the vet asap. There is no way for you to know the severity of the injury, and if left untreated properly, may heal incorrectly leading to more problems later. It is wrong to let the dog suffer in the interam.

I apologize if that sounds rude, and I do sympathize with the situation. If you love her that much, you need to let the professinals take a look
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:50 am

Honestly, if she wasn't walking right away after, I would have been on my way to the emergency vet asap. I'd bring her right away in the morning, it sounds like she broke something.

Last edited by Jennet&Embry on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:51 am

First of all stop trying to have Trillion stand or walk. Are you sure its a leg injury? You mention the tie out hanging up on a rock, did the tie out snap tight when it did? If so it possibly could be more. The Vet ER telling you to wait over night, geez what the hell were they thinking?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 12:42 pm

I have a friend whose dog dislocated a vertebrae from a pull on a collar. Her dog was old, but this is one of the reasons I am not a fan of collars used with tie-outs or when walking. The dislocated vertebrae caused a pinched nerve and back leg paralysis. Waiting could make it worse. I second the "Go to the vet ASAP" advice!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 pm

GO TO THE VET ASAP!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Maggie broke her leg last summer. Does she favor the leg at all? Maggie wouldn't let me touch hers at all. She would actually get up and try to walk and yelp. She would not get out of my arms. I mean maggie is a love bug dog but my husband was around and she never sees me when he is there. lol That sounds an awful like when maggie broke her leg. maggie however tripped in a gopher hole getting a ball. GO TO THE VET!
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 2:18 pm

We have an appointment with the vet at 11:15.
if it's emergency, why are they fully-booked? if it's emergency shouldn't i be able to just bring her in and they see her like a human emergency?
:[ i don't understand why we must wait.

this morning she has not improved. in fact i think she has regressed.
she still doesn't let the leg touch the floor, she won't lay down on her own nor will she stand up on her own (anymore) she was doing both yesterday, she also was minimally walking, if i walked away from her for a second but she isn't even doing that today she just stands in one place
she hasn't gone to the bathroom at all today then again i don't see how she could as she cant squat.
shes slept most of the day she has to be carried everywhere
ill keep you guys posted on what's going on.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 2:49 pm

good luck. I ran into the same problem when maggie broke hers. maggie's was on a friday night as well. I made her comfortable friday night and drove to like 80 vets in the morning trying to see if someone would take her. I also just moved at the time and had yet to find a vet. Well they wouldn't even let me stay. They fit me in between patients. grr. I hope she gets better soon! Wow and maggie was only 2 months older than trillion too!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Poor baby. Please keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Alright we are home from the vets!

So we called around to see if we can find a vet to put us in sooner than the "emergency" vet.
we found someone to fit us in as a walk-in for $20 but it was an hour and a half away, but we left right away, i had to carry trillion in, and then put her on the table and take her down to show the vet how her standing/walking was.
they had me place her in one of those little crate-cage things and she went CRAZZZZY crying and howling, if you have read another post i made about her being anti-crates/cages its crazy how she acts.
anyways because of her commotion they asked me to come back in the room and sit with her as they prepped anesthesia because she was going to get xrays and she was in so much pain she needed to be out. so i sat with her they gave her a shot in the hind and then had me put her on another table where they muzzled her and held a mask over her mouth til she fell asleep, they then took xrays and brought me back into the room,

Turns out it did pop out of the socket, however it poped back in, just not completely and she also tore some ligaments in her knee and her hip, so she basically was in a LOT of pain but nothing more, nothing broken or out of place. they told me she would wake up in a few min. i waited and she looked so silly. her tongue all out sh couldn't stand but she wasn't crying or anything,
they gave me 50 mg of Tramadol and told me to give one tab three times a day and if she isnt 100% by Tuesday to come back.

shes doing better she peed for the first time ALL DAY LONG when they took her xrays (she was under and i guess her bladder just let loose) :[ poor girl was soaked, that was around 1:30 or so, she peed again when we got home like twenty min ago, shes having a hard time squatting but she is okay.

Smile
ill keep you posted on her med and all that as well, until shes 100% we are going to sleep downstairs so she doesn't have to climb stairs and so she doesn't have to be lifted up.
i took some photos if you would like to see, and some video.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Aw, poor girl. Do they think the ligaments will heal ok without surgery? I hope she feels better quickly and doesn't have any long term effects in her leg.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Trillion's knee post. 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:51 pm

They didn't really specify if there would be long term damage or not,
they also didn't specify when i should give her the meds >.<

We're going to take her to the normal vet for a check up anyways in a week or two just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm

glad to hear that nothing was broken poor baby!
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 pm

i posted some photos from today on her scrapbook

theyre at the end!

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t5190-trillion-s-life#83847
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Just reading this, glad u got him to the vet! If that ever happens again the VET is the first place you go when you see a dog in that much pain after seeing the event that caused it. Did the vet give you any instruction on nursing him back and any restrictions on walking and such? You got to be carefull that no long term damanage happens from over working him after this. Keep us posted, and if your unsure on the meds call the vet and ask

Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 pm

OMG, glad nothing too bad. She'll be fine. =)
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Glad everything worked out good! Hope she feels better soon. Poor girl Sad
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 12:15 am

Glad to hear she is doing better!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:20 am

That is awful and I don't know for sure, someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure it is similar with animals and I don't mean to sound like a downer...

But my brother drove off a small cliff basically and popped out his shoulder and messed up ligaments and what not and the dr. said it would have been better if it were to have broken in stead of popped out cause now hes likely to have pain/issues with his arm the rest of his life... Hopefully not the case.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:05 am

brady.law wrote:
That is awful and I don't know for sure, someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure it is similar with animals and I don't mean to sound like a downer...

But my brother drove off a small cliff basically and popped out his shoulder and messed up ligaments and what not and the dr. said it would have been better if it were to have broken in stead of popped out cause now hes likely to have pain/issues with his arm the rest of his life... Hopefully not the case.

It is a little bit of a downer, but you are right, and I had the same thought earlier. Soft tissue injuries can be pretty devastating, and it's something that I personally am dealing with right now with my ankle. That's not to say that she is going to be crippled and in pain for the rest of her life, but you do have to be super careful to ensure she heals properly. When you talk to your vet at the follow up, make sure you ask LOTS of questions about ligament tears and what things you need to do to ensure Trillion heals properly. Don't freak out if your vet brings up surgery either. If it's a complete tear, it may well need to be fixed surgically. I hope it doesn't come to that, but be prepared for it. Were you able to figure out the issue with her pain medication?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Trillion's knee post. 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 2:07 am

If they say 3 times a day, you just give it every 8 hours... I'd do 6AM, 2PM, 10PM if you haven't started them yet.
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Today she is so much worse. I feel like the pain meds aren't doing anything, we started them at 8am 4pm and 12am (if shes awake), and she generally is.
she is back to crying/screaming when i try to lift her or when she gets up and takes the first few hops/steps. she has gone to the bathroom once today (she peed three times yesterday and barely went potty at all) but still normally by now she has gone twice at least...
i dont know im just worried.

She can just being laying down and she would be crying, she crys in her sleep.

Sad
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Hate to say it but .........haul her back to the vet for some follow up. Let them know about her constant pain they are most likely following normal protocol for this type of situation and need to dig deeper into her problem.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Totally agree with Len. She's apparently in too much pain not to follow up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trillion's knee post.   Trillion's knee post. Empty

Back to top Go down

Trillion's knee post.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next