It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cat testing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 1:07 pm

How does one go about cat testing a dog?
I didn't see a thread on here about it and I wanted to know.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 pm

We kinda just put the puppy down and the cats tried sniffing him/her out. They were pretty upset about them being in the house, so for a few weeks they hissed/growled at them, but all are ok with them accept one who has nothing to do with either one of the pups. Just monitor thing's extremely close, because the pups can get a little too interested and it would be terrible for the cat to smack the puppy and get him/her in the eye, which can cause a serious injury. I have baby gates up, so they can see/smell each other without having full contact.
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:30 pm

yeaa. We have 3 cats and they weren't to exited to see him to say the least. Shadow wanted sniff them out and play but soon they started hissing haha. I have him gated up in the living room if I see him eyeing one or chasing one I tell him leave it and point him in another direction.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Okay, but what about an adult dog?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:45 pm

I introduced my adult sibe to cats indoors with the cats loose and my sibe on a lead so that I had control over the situation if necessary. My sibe is fine around cats indoors as long as they don't run, however outside the house they are fair game as far as he is concerned.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:55 pm

In the shelters, here atleast, they take a calm cat, hold it by it's neck and hind quarters and let the dog sniff it. That was the cat can't attack it, and the dog can't attack it. If the dog doesn't care, they let the cat on the floor to see what the dog does, but the dog is on a leash to make sure, JUST in case.

We use the same method to introduce our cats to our fosters and new dogs.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:13 pm

At the shelter I volunteer for, they just walk a dog by the outdoor cat enclosure and see how it reacts. See if it acts like it wants to eat the cats or doesn't care. Not that that's a great way to cat test, but they are pretty limited on what they are allowed to do.

Cat testing Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:24 pm

I cat test by taking my most "dog like" cat and having the dog on the leash. Our last 3 fosters have had no problems with cats- thankfully. Stark will chase if they run but otherwise has no interest.

Signs I look for:
High arousal (body held high, tail up, wagging, ears forward)
Lunging
Barking
Fixed stare

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

I think this is going to depend on the temperment of the cat you are introducing as much as how you go about it.

Both of my cats have been well socialized around large dogs and are not afraid of nor do they attempt to hurt dogs. They both know to get away and have a "Safe Haven" in the house where they can be left alone.

Daphne will hiss, growl and fluff up and maybe bat at the dog WITHOUT her claws to show she is in charge and then she would be fine and in fact play with the dog.

As for Macy, she will just keep her distance and will just get up and run away to the "Safe Haven" when the dog approaches her for the first several weeks. Then she slowly starts interacting with the dog on her terms.

I just turned Saphire loose while I was there to see how she reacted and it went just as I expected. Saphire wanted to play and the cats reacted as above.

As a result, Saphire learned not to chase the cats or they hide instead of playing with her. She doesn't even chase other cats.

Now Daphne and Saphire regularly enjoy playing tag and Macy helps me walk Saphire. Everyone gets along great. .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cat testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat testing   Cat testing Empty

Back to top Go down

Cat testing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1