It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

breeding a husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 am

lol, no, i dont want to breed either of my babies, but i had to get your attention somehow bom

i actually met a beautiful husky mix [husky/blue heeler] and i was awe-struck at how beautiful she was. i didnt get a picture, but she was similar to this.

breeding a husky? Tumblr_lhrdp27pBP1qasfuco1_500

i was just kind of curious about what all of you thought the best breed mix was with the siberian husky.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 am

A husky should only be breed with a husky, after both have been health tested, are of age and the breeding of them will better the husky breed, either for show or working. Sorry that's just how I feel.

Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:32 am

oh im not going to do it ever. theres just so many mixes already and i thought that one was pretty is all.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 am

I think that would probably be the prettiest husky mix I've ever seen-- and you'd be hard pressed to see me pass her by in a shelter! Razz However, I wouldn't want to touch that energy level with a ten foot pole! But she certainly is gorgeous Smile

The prettiest husky mix I've ever seen otherwise is the Tamaskan. However, I don't really think their breeding practices are reputable so I doubt I'd ever get one.

breeding a husky? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am

Lizzy that is a pretty mix, and accadents do happen but I don't think designer breeds are good and no one should be out there trying to make up the next "breed"
Maybe if you would have worded it diff. Like have you come across a mixed husky you thought was good looking vs. Asking what you would mix a husky with. Your title alone is asking for strong views to be stated and if someone was just looking around the site it might come across the wrong way, I know your trying to get attention, and that's fine you did state that. And I'm glad you would never breed.

Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:45 am

whatever. everything i seem to say on here gets some negative bullshit response from SOMEONE and it fucking irritating. i don't see anyone else on here getting a negative response on EVERYTHING they say. so fuck it. great site. super informative. but i'm done trying to be a part of it. not sure if its cuz i'm a dyke or whatever but you all have some sort of prejudice about everything. everyones entitled to an opinion and all i was fucking doing was trying to start a conversation because there are A LOT of husky mixes out there and i'm sure everyone has an opinion on what they think is pretty.

my dogs are happy.
my dogs are well adjusted.
and i'm sure i can google any answers to questions i have in the future.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:04 am

That is a beautiful dog. I really like the look of the Blue Heeler and when my husband and I started talking about dogs they were on our list of possible breeds.

My sister in law rescued a lab/pit mix puppy and he was all black but now the brindle coloring from his pit side is coming out and he is gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:04 am

lizzyduhh wrote:
whatever. everything i seem to say on here gets some negative bullshit response from SOMEONE and it fucking irritating. i don't see anyone else on here getting a negative response on EVERYTHING they say. so fuck it. great site. super informative. but i'm done trying to be a part of it. not sure if its cuz i'm a dyke or whatever but you all have some sort of prejudice about everything. everyones entitled to an opinion and all i was fucking doing was trying to start a conversation because there are A LOT of husky mixes out there and i'm sure everyone has an opinion on what they think is pretty.

my dogs are happy.

Woah, what is the problem here? Half of the points or arguments in this post are completely irrelevant to anything stated here or that i've seen posted...

You put the subject line as "breeding a husky?" and then said this was to gain attention. I'm sorry that it got the wrong kind of attention you were looking for but asking a group of dog enthusiasts what breed you think would best be bred with a Sibe (even hypothetically) isn't the best thing to say/ask.

Since this IS a public forum- all it takes is someone crawling Google to come across a potential "list" of breed that would be cool to breed a Husky with. So- for one of our moderators to hit the point of Sibes should not be cross bred or irresponsibly bred.... I personally feel that does need to be said.

I would also like to remind you that EVERYONE has their right to their OWN opinion. Across all dog forums you will find many with many differing opinions on nearly all subjects imaginable. I truly do promise you that there is no "prejudice" based on anyones sexual orientation or anything else for that matter. We all love our dogs very much, and all have opinions on how to raise/train/own them.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:14 am

lizzyduhh wrote:

my dogs are happy.
My dear, unfortunately, you've done a decent job of pissing a lot of people off with that post. Go ahead and ask my gay brother (who is my best friend), his boyfriend, my aunt, her wife, and the multitude of my other gay friends how I feel about "dykes".... that is quite possibly THE most ignorant thing I've heard you say on this forum period. Don't use your sexuality as a crutch to hide the fact that sometimes you say controversial things that make people argue with you. Shame on you!

As for your "treatment" on this forum.... have you not noticed that EVERYONE is getting the smackdown from the staff when they say something ignorant, stupid, or immature? What makes you think you are the only one? This forum has taken a turn into pre-school recently and we are doing our best to take it back.

Don't touch on a HIGHLY controversial topic and not expect people to give you shit. I had thought you were more intelligent than that. Leaving is your choice, but don't make it about us. We've done nothing to you we haven't done to countless others for the same reasons.

Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:05 pm

That is a freaking beautiful mix right there. God I love those eyes.

I don't say much but....

lizzyduhh wrote:

As a resident troll of the internet I say "don't sweat it champ" the most frequently used form of communication on a forum is text and typically if something is not worded carefully people will go all white knight on you or troll you, it happens. I understood the message/conversation you wanted to bring up the delivery was just a little off. Please try not to bring up personal matters like sexual orientation into an argument on the internet, cause most of the arguments had on the internet are with people who don't know you or don't have any real hatred for you in real life, it's really not personal. Take a minute, Shake it off, and jump back into the Frey!

Koda wrote:
Don't touch on a HIGHLY controversial topic and not expect people to give you shit.
I'm just curious as to why this is a highly controversial topic, I'm new to the game so I'm just looking for knowledge. If anyone would be willing to share some reasons/specifics about the subject of mixing and how it makes people feel that would be great. All I can gather is when you start mixing breeds you are playing a dangerous game. If I need to start a new thread just let me know.

I'll just leave this here
"Bob Barker reminding you to help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered. Bye-bye."
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm

xredrainx wrote:

I'm just curious as to why this is a highly controversial topic, I'm new to the game so I'm just looking for knowledge. If anyone would be willing to share some reasons/specifics about the subject of mixing and how it makes people feel that would be great. All I can gather is when you start mixing breeds you are playing a dangerous game. If I need to start a new thread just let me know.

I'll just leave this here
"Bob Barker reminding you to help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered. Bye-bye."

It's so controversial, especially here on this forum, because most of us either have rescues, work with rescues, or have dogs who were so poorly bred that they have serious health problems. We strongly advocate responsible breeding because we've seen first hand what crappy breeding does, and it's really sad. Breeding just to make money or make the next "designer" breed is extremely irresponsible, and only serves to put more dogs in shelters and introduce genetic disorders into the bloodlines. That being said, we generally aren't against all breeders, just the bad ones and we try to educate people on how to find a reputable breeder. I hope this helps!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

breeding a husky? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 pm

"Mutts" essentially make up most of my line of work and they tend to have less genetic disturbances than the "purebreds" that come in. That's not the dogs fault, but the people that breed for all the wrong reasons and produce genetic nightmares. "Designer" dogs are cute and all, but what bothers me to high heaven is the fact that people pay huge $$$ for essentially a "mutt". There are far too many "designer" dogs in pounds and shelters and to pay $2000 for a genetic disaster is ridiculous to me, when the ones that are true mutts live healthy 15-18+ lives and we have to put down the purebred at 8-12. Sound purebreds that are bred for all the right reasons are just as well off as the mutts. Idiots that say they are "breeders" because they "found a good looking male/female and want the pups to look like them" are the breeders I'm talking about. Just some observations that I have made over the years.

(purebreds in parenthesis because there are no true breeders in my area.)
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:36 pm

This is information that would have served me well before choosing my breeder. I did a lot of research and didn't go with any breeder who brought up "the money subject" first thing. It's a great tell for people who only want to make bank and have no real passion for their craft. I was gonna rescue for my first husky but I figured i should start from the ground up and learn before rescuing a husky. Thank you blueeyedghost and hypers987 for this is very critical information. It shall help me out when I consider rescuing a husky once my boy has grown up a bit more.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:50 pm

xredrainx wrote:
This is information that would have served me well before choosing my breeder. I did a lot of research and didn't go with any breeder who brought up "the money subject" first thing. It's a great tell for people who only want to make bank and have no real passion for their craft. I was gonna rescue for my first husky but I figured i should start from the ground up and learn before rescuing a husky. Thank you blueeyedghost and hypers987 for this is very critical information. It shall help me out when I consider rescuing a husky once my boy has grown up a bit more.

I think most of us know about puppy mills going into it, but aren't very aware of backyard breeders (BYB's) until it's too late. I definitely fell into that trap, and by the time I saw the red flags I had money on the table and had fallen in love so I chose to proceed. So far I've been lucky, Ghost is a wonderful dog and hasn't had any health problems at all. Lulu, our cocker spaniel, isn't so lucky. She was *very* poorly bred from a BYB down the street from the folks who got her. She so far hasn't exhibited any real health problems besides horrible teeth, but she has a lot of psychological issues that we're trying to work with. Those were compounded by the fact that the people who had her first really mistreated her, and then my husband didn't really know how to address the problems once he got her.

All you can do is learn from experience, and then try to educate the people that come along behind you so they maybe don't make the same mistakes and give bad breeders money.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

breeding a husky? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Tori - a Tamaskan isn't a mix (anymore) - it is a super young breed (like...20 years?). They've been breeding true (only Tamaskan X Tamaskan breedings) for awhile. They have their own registry (just like the Cane Corso does) and a COE and a list of breeders with the registry that is available.

On topic - I'm a sucker for merles of any breed. If someone said "Here, I have a free merle Siberian mix and I'd like for you to have him/her" I don't think I'd be able to say no. BUT the merle gene has more than it's fair share of health problems that are associated with it that our breed does not need. There are actually people out there registering and selling merle Siberians as pureberd and "very rare". They register them as piebald and get away with it by falsifying the pedigrees where the mix took place. Extremely unethical and people are falling for it.

breeding a husky? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Niraya wrote:
Tori - a Tamaskan isn't a mix (anymore) - it is a super young breed (like...20 years?). They've been breeding true (only Tamaskan X Tamaskan breedings) for awhile. They have their own registry (just like the Cane Corso does) and a COE and a list of breeders with the registry that is available.
While they are trying, they aren't a registered breed and they already have enough political intrigue to rival a small country. The "breed" is beautiful, but it isn't a breed to me until it becomes a registered breed with internationally reputable kennel clubs. Just my $.02. Until then, it's still a mix.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 3:09 pm

I wasn't speaking in terms of national/international registry for recognition as a breed itself. But I feel it is incredibly important to not spread the misinformation that the Tamaskan is still being bred to other breeds to produce mixes - when it hasn't been for many, many years.. It may not be a "breed" by registry standards but it is being bred true.

There are breeds who have their own registry - that carry more weight when a breeder is a breed registry member and registers their dogs with the breed registry than any national or international registry and you can thank the AKC for ruining their own reputation of what it is to be a "reputable" breeder with a "reputable" registry by allowing puppy mills and Backyard breeders to register their dogs with them (all about the $$). The Cane Corso registry (who's name I don't fully remember) is more respected when purchasing a Cane Corse dog than any AKC paper work you could have for him/her.

When looking for a breeder - most people don't go to the AKC breeder classifieds (AKC cannot guarantee that the breeders posted on their classifieds are reputable or ethical breeders) - they go to the parent club. Why? Because members of the parent club are "supposed" to be" reputable breeders adhering to the COE set down by the club.

Any dog in the FSS isn't a "recognized" breed, either but many would still call them breeds because they've been being bred true many years before they were ever put into the FSS and any breeder of any breed now presently IN the FSS called their dogs a "breed" LONG before getting them recognized.

I respect why you don't feel they're a breed Smile You know that (at least I hope you do!) I was just giving my opinion on why I feel they shouldn't be referred to as mixes - like everyone says; if someone googles something about Tamaskans and for whatever reason this thread pops up and see "Tamaskan mix" when everything they've read and talked with breeders about says they're not mixes - we'd be promoting false information.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Fair enough-- and I respect your opinion as well. My apologies if people felt my post was insinuating that Tamaskans were breeding to other breeds still. That's not what I meant at all. I just still consider them a mix and likely will for the rest of my lifetime. You're talking to someone who is still torn on the issue of "creating new breeds".... I don't know how fair or open-minded it is... but from my perspective, there are SO many animals out there that need homes... it's bad enough with the breeds we already have that have been in existence for hundreds of years... to knowingly go out and create another breed is somewhat questionable to me.

And don't get me wrong either... my hubby and I are torn because we LOVE Tamaskans... but morally/ethically... I don't think I could ever get one. And like I said-- the political BS going on in that breed is enough to deter me. It's a shame. And it's a shame I never got a straight answer from them.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I love the Tamaskan as well Smile. I haven't much looked into the Tamaskan (I've just done basic research on the history and what not) in terms of actually getting one so I don't know much of the political stuff that's going on (aside from the college teams mascot that was poisoned along with the breeders dogs - I believe one had to be euthanized).

I'm pretty against "creating" new breeds these days. Back several years ago though - creating them was few and far between but the dogs/breeds that were created were created to fill a working niche - which I am totally okay with. I find your reasoning completely in the right, though Smile.

Time went by and people changed and society took a bleak outlook on animals - thus the society we live in.

Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:35 pm

I saw the title and figured popcorn would be flying. When I think of a heeler/husky I think of the cartoon Tasmanian Devil as far as energy level, that would be insane.

As far as feeling like people are negative about your posts, it's going to happen. If you don't spell out EXACTLY what you mean here and someone can take it the wrong way they will.

I get complained about and negative treated all the time. It's cause I'm gay, lol kidding, it's cause I'm an idiot. Guess how much that bothers me?

Goose egg.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:02 pm

brady.law wrote:
It's cause I'm gay, lol kidding, it's cause I'm an idiot.
LOL before I saw the jk, I was all oooh hewl no! he did not just go there.

But to the OP, yes you really do need to re-read whatever your going to post and think about it from the stand point of how others will be reading it. We dont ( well I can speak for myself) read between the lines, only what is on the lines and if what is on the lines sounds off, iffy or fishy then that is what it will be taken as.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

breeding a husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding a husky?   breeding a husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

breeding a husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1