It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute Empty
PostSubject: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:58 am

My husky Titus is getting fussier than ever..! My malamute Lycan is eating like crazy..! I gotta tear him away from Titus's bowl.

Lycan is 10 weeks old, so he gets three meals a day. 1 cup at 8.30am, 3/4 cup at 2.30pm and 1 cup plus 150gm canned food at 7.30pm, he still wants more. Is he eating too much? He's not fat though, he is tall, 18lbs and I can feel his ribs.

Titus is 14 months old, he gets two meals because he won't eat in the afternoon. 1 cup at 8.30am, some snacks at 2.30pm and 1 cup plus 150gm canned food at 7.30 pm. He wouldn't finish his dinner. Sometime he woudn't even touch it. I realised that he don't really like canned food. So I give him only kibble but he looks at Lycan's bowl, sort of comparing and wouldn't really eat the kibble either. Help! I know it's normal for huskies to sometimes skip meals but is it normal for Titus to do that. Titus is also a big boy at 68lbs.

I am feeding them TOTW now. All four flavours. I rotate two flavours everyday as they don't have sensitive issue or upset stomach. If I don't rotate the flavour, Titus will never touch his food! So I'm rotating two 5lbs bag everyday.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 am

My guy has been skipping a lot of meals here lately. I feed him twice a day and he will sporadically skip breakfast or dinner. I was worried at first, but he's at a healthy weight, so it doesn't bother me. It's been incredibly hot here, so that's my only thought as to why he's skipping meals.

Maybe try cutting out afternoon snacks. If that doesn't help then perhaps give him half of his breakfast and a normal size dinner and see if he eats then.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 am

It's not exclusively a husky thing. Both of my malamutes and the Saint Bernard have even been skipping entire days without food.

Sounds like you're catering to their wants too much. Skipping meals is fine as long as everything else on the baseline seems normal. Mine have been skipping 2-3 meals in a row with the triple digit temps.

Take the opportunity of them skipping to nail the food down to one flavor for now. Unless you don't give a crap about mixing the food all the time. Ignoring it worked best for me when one dog had what the others perceived to be higher value food. He WILL get hungry eventually and instinct will kick in. I only rotate flavors about once or twice a year.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 am

I agree with Eddy.

Appa went through a very long (few months) bout of testing his food control. He would go over 24 hours without food holding out for what he wanted. It was tough love, but he eventually learned that he gets what we give him, and that's all there is to it.

Sometimes we will jazz up his food with an egg or some yogurt, but the moment he starts getting picky about food we go back to purely kibble with no treats until hes back to eating regularly.

We switch flavors about 3 times a year.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am

Blaze would only eat once a day when we first got him in the afternoon he would eat. I think he was about the same age as Titus. I would just let it be. he will come around when he gets hungry.

What Eddy made good sense.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 am

Raven has been skipping meals as well. Its been in the 100s here for the past week so I think its the heat. I don't switch out food she gets what we feed and that's it. Just like my kids. Smile
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:36 pm

It's winter here in Australia. So I don't think it's the weather problem.

Also I'm fine with switching food. I want them to be able to take different food without upsetting their stomach. So far so good. No problem with that.

Titus is eating in the morning. Maybe I should just stop his canned food altogether.

For some Malamute owners on this forum, is it normal for a 10 week old malamute to eat that much and keep wanting more. Should I give him more or should I control him?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Control him. Supplement with carrots or minced green beans to make him feel special and full. Both of my malamutes will eat until they explode. Like a tick or something.

It's also not just a heat thing. When weather changes are abrupt from season to season they start skipping meals.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 am

The reason I don't switch foods often has nothing to do with convenience - and Appa can switch just fine. I just don't like him thinking that if he holds out he will get the one he wants. He knows "this is what's for dinner, and will be whether I eat it now or in 2 days." Frequent flavor changes can lead to pickiness.

My malamute would eat until he threw up if we let him until he was about a year old. Then he really slowed down and regulates his food like crazy. We would limit to what kept him at a healthy weight - no more, no less.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 2:28 am

I just recently started switching food. Previously I only keep them on one food at a time. There is one time when Titus is 8 months old, he skipped 9 days of meal until I give in. He's just too stubborn. Now since I got a new Malamute, he eats his breakfast everyday and only skips his dinner when it has canned food in it. I'm gonna try not putting canned food in his dinner tonight.

The actual reason I rotate their food is because of my previous husky Jack. We only kept Jack on the same food all time. The food contains chicken and fish. So one day when he accidently ate something which is not part of his diet (lamb), he got food allergy. For close to a week, he itched, vommited and have diarrhea. The itchiness took a while to cure and it made Jack depressed.

So I talked to my vet about preventing the same issue to happen on my dogs now. He advised me that if the dogs can take it I can rotate their food with differet meat source as often as their stomach allowed, to let them get used to it to prevent food allergies.
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:29 am

Ever since people starting treating dogs like children reports of dogs not eating have gone up. Poorly formulated foods are also adding to the problem.

The warm weather has big impact on a dogs desire to eat. Food uses calories and calories warm the body, especially protein. Fat warms the body the least.

Foods that are used and tested on working and sporting dogs are your best bet because these dogs are known to refuse food often when the formula isn't right.

Foods with organ meats are usually the most palatable for the longest period of time.

You probably will have better luck with a food formulated for working dogs. You also should not spoil a dog and get your dog on a rigid feeding schedule. Some breeds are more difficult than others.

The most palatable foods I have found are Dr. Tim's Momentum and Pursuit, Earthborn Primitive and RedPaw. Dr. Tim's and Red Paw both use high levels of chicken liver and pig blood protein that dogs really like. I don't like the high ash in Earthborn and wouldn't recommend it for a house dog especially.

I prefer Dr. Tim's and have found it amazingly palatable and the results superb. I know the PHD that tinkered with the formula after Tim Hunt created it and that is the food he uses, and he can use anything he wants for free.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 am

When we used kibble we switched protein sources with each new bag we purchased, Skipping meals comes from dogs who have been reinforced that they can pick and choose what they eat. I truly doubt they turn up their noses at "inferior" foods simply because they "feel" it's "inferior." My dogs would just as soon suck down some crap purina... because they know food is food.

I would eliminate extras and just feed one protein source at a time. Buy a big bag and stick it out,

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute   Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! Feeding a Husky and a Malamute

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1