It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jesscee
Newborn
Newborn
jesscee

Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? Empty
PostSubject: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello everyone! My husband and I brought home the newest addition to our family, Dutch, about a month ago. We got him from a breeder family out on a farm in Georgia and he's been a great little brother to our Shepard mix, Conan. Although we love having a puppy again, we're anxious to see him grow to full size. However, since we've had him (he was 8 weeks when we brought him home), Dutch has had issues with worms (even after lots of deworming treatments) and bloody diarrhea due to colitis. It's only now, at 13 weeks old, and after two treatments of antibiotics, that he is going #2 regularly and I'm not seeing worms in his feces. That being said, he's grown really slowly, from 6 lbs to 10 lbs (so about 1 lb a week).

Is this a normal growth rate for huskies? Is Dutch really too small for 13 weeks? He is the first Husky for my husband and I so we're not sure. I've tried searching the Internet for answers, but it's hard to find. My vet says that he does seem small for his age but that he'll catch up. I'm hoping that his early health problems won't cause him to turn out smaller than he should be.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm

He is a bit small, but that will probably change when you get him on a nourishing diet.

What are you currently feeding?

Welcome! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Thats seems a bit small.

Nicky is 13 weeks and is 23 lbs. Not sure if she is just big or normal.
Back to top Go down
jesscee
Newborn
Newborn
jesscee

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:41 pm

I have him on Purina One Smart Blend Puppy right now since that was what he was fed on the farm. I don't like it since it's full of fillers. I prefer Kirkland Puppy (the Costco brand) since it's much higher rated and doesn't have fillers. The vet said not to try and switch him to a new food yet because of his colitis and diarrhea. I think I'm going to work in the switch soon since he'll be finished with his antibiotics in a couple of days. I'm currently feeding him 3x day, 2 cups total. Hopefully he'll beef up soon!

Here are some pics of the boys actually posing!

Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? P1010243

Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? P1010237
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Does he act hungry? He may be underfed.

But my main concern is that the food may be what is causing it. We have had quite a few threads that are about dogs with assumed colitis and IBS, that end up just being intolerant to certain foods.

I know that Claudia recommends a bland diet of Eggs and Carrots. This thread is the most recent: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t5279-unstoppable-diarrhea?highlight=diarrhea

I would try that rather than medicating him.

I know that at 10 weeks, we were feeding Cato 3 cups of food per day, of high quality kibble (Acana) and that kept him satisfied.
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Hello.Today is our first day and I would like to say ur pup is very cute! I have a husky pup..he is 7mos now..got him at 3mos. He is 39lbs and 22 inches. My vet says he is small also. Noah is my first dog..so I'm not sure at all where he should be. He is on his 4th type of dog food.. he is a little picky..but he is a good baby. Do any of you ladies have a suggestion on what the best food is? He was on Eukanuba.. stopped eating that.. Blue Buffalo Basics.. gave him the runs(yuk) Purina Pro-Plan(very expensive) Now regular Purina.. I would appreciate any insight into this new undertaking.... Noah also suffered from Giardia when we first got him and was on meds... and he also has alllergies! darndest thing...lol wave
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Please see my post above.

As far as recommended brands, a lot of people on this site use or have used:

Acana
Taste of the Wild
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Orijen
4Health
Wellness Core
Nature's Variety Instinct

I recommend you check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/ It will help you make the decision.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm

I feed my husky natures recipe chicken and oatmeal large breed puppy food 2 cups twice a day. His number 2 was runny until he got neutered. I wouldn't worry about it too much my husky shot up 10 lbs in a month and my vet says that he was still a boot on the lean side. He just turned 6 months old and is 47 lbs.
Back to top Go down
jesscee
Newborn
Newborn
jesscee

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:04 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Does he act hungry? He may be underfed.

But my main concern is that the food may be what is causing it. We have had quite a few threads that are about dogs with assumed colitis and IBS, that end up just being intolerant to certain foods.

I know that Claudia recommends a bland diet of Eggs and Carrots. This thread is the most recent: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t5279-unstoppable-diarrhea?highlight=diarrhea

I would try that rather than medicating him.

I know that at 10 weeks, we were feeding Cato 3 cups of food per day, of high quality kibble (Acana) and that kept him satisfied.

Thanks for your help! I think I will switch him off Purina ASAP. And as for acting hungry, he definitely scarfs down his food quick, so I think I'll bump him up to 3 cups of kibble. It's great to find a community that I can ask questions specifically about the breed, it helps to have this kind of support! I'll be updating pictures in the future! Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Not a problem dear.

I do recommend you steer clear of grain inclusive food. I have some sensitive sibes as well, and they aren't tolerant of grains. Really try the egg and carrot diet first, if it proves to be a food intolerance you will know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??   Is my Husky puppy too small for his age?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my Husky puppy too small for his age??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1