It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ Empty
PostSubject: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Well the last TWO sibe rescues didn't work out. The first home loved Raiya and were doing fine for months, but the father got transferred to New York or some big city and they couldn't find a place that allowed big dogs/huskies. Sad But we quickly found another awesome home for her and she went from the old owners to the new without having to come back to us!

Not as lucky with Blizzard though. He is only 11 months old and a chewer! He did about $7,000 worth of damage to the lady's apartment and then started getting food aggressive toward her other siberian for some reason. I guess enough was enough and now he's back with us. So anyone want a husky?! lol.

Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ IMG_0690

On a brighter note, the first siberian (we've rescued 3 so far) is going great in his home and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him! Very Happy

Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ Woowoosig

Last edited by SaraB on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Awww poor Blizzard. Sad
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Aww poor baby.. I would love him but.... My Hubby would say no to a third dog..
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:47 pm

There should be warnings on posts like these... "Don't look if you can't have it!" LOL
If only Sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Poor Blizzard Sad
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:38 pm

While the kids would love a new playmate, I don't think the bank can handle it...I hope Blizzard finds his furever home soon. Sad
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Well found out the original owner now wants him back. Ugh! This is the story. The brother drops Blizzard off at the shelter. The next day the sister, owner, calls and says that her brother dropped off her dog, but she wants it back. It wasn't her idea to drop him off. Okay. So the shelter tells her to come by the next day to come claim her dog. A day passes, a week passes, and I think in total about two weeks pass, no girl showing up. So we pulled him from the shelter.

Find out later, she's calling the shelter telling them she's going to sue them for adopting out her dog. They ask why she never came to pick it up. She was too busy with work and couldn't get time off. And get this, she works, not at a high end, high demanding job, nope, she works at Petsmart! You would think your boss at Petsmart would give you time off to get your own pet from the shelter!

Anyway, things quieted down until we reposted Blizzard on petfinder. Now she's e-mailing and calling to see if she can get him back. Problem is he was skin and bones when he came in. Not necessarily starved, but zero muscle mass. And found out from her father that poor Blizzard was kept in a crate for 10hrs almost everyday. And she had tried to sell him before and that person sent him back. Probably because he's so destructive. So we really don't want to give him back unless she is really willing to change her ways. She did say she took him to puppy class at the store and has a ton of photos of him, but I don't see him living a good life if he has to be crated 10 hours everyday. I dunno. My mom sent her an application to fill out. We'll see if she fills it out.

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 am

Poor Blizzard!

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I would say no - if it were my dog, I would get him at lunchtime! That seems ridiculous! You trade shifts with people to go get your dog. Ask friends, ask family, ask strangers, PAY someone to get my dog! If you work in retail, it's not super hard to find another job if your boss would fire you over such a thing. I worked in retail all through college. If you can't spend enough time exercising your dog, you do NOT get a dog. You wait until you finish school, get another job closer to work, etc. You change your lifestyle to the type of dog you want. <end rant>

Every dog deserves an owner that loves them so much that they would do anything for them. That is what I wish for each of the dogs I rescue and even if it takes a little longer, the rescue is able to find the perfect owner. My Frosti was owner surrendered by TWO different people in her first year and a half - she's a tough cookie but she also deserved an owner that was committed to work with her and love her enough to put in the work, consistently. She practically gave hubby a nervous breakdown, but now she's daddy's girl and she puts a smile on everyone's face that meets her. I think half the dogs on this forum put their owners through the same thing! Smile

I wish Blizzard, you and your mom the best of luck in finding that special owner. I know how hard you guys work to save these dogs and it's so tough when adopters and owners don't make the same commitment. I'm so glad he's in your hands now.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 am

Ugh, what a situation. But presumably she has no legal claim on him since she never collected him from the shelter?

I really hope Blizzard finds a happy home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:41 am

I'd say no Sara. My boss is an absolute idiot with zero sympathy towards any of us. And I could find some time somewhere to pick my dogs up.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 1:30 am

Ghost wrote:
Ugh, what a situation. But presumably she has no legal claim on him since she never collected him from the shelter?

I really hope Blizzard finds a happy home.

No. She lost any legal claim by not picking him up from the shelter herself when they told her to. They aren't a doggie daycare! As an owner surrender (what they had him down as), he could have been adopted out the same day and she still would have had no legal recourse. Sue her brother perhaps.

Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 am

Then I don't think you should give Blizzard back to her. If she was a good owner she would have found a way to collect him. never mind the other stuff you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 8:27 am

How ironic doesn't know how or really care about her Husky but works at a pet store (Petsmart).
Another reason for me to dislike that chain store.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 11:02 am

Ugh. So it's now become an even harder decision. She filled out the application. Guess she's no longer taking classes and only works 3 times a week for 6 hours per day. She lives in a nice house that her parents own. It has a pool and nice backyard with a 6ft privacy fence. She sent a bunch of pictures showing her cuddling with him, him playing with her cat, and puppy pictures. So it seems like when he wasn't crated, he did live a good life. And she says she "alpha trained" him and he is very obedient. Perhaps with her maybe. lol.

So do we chalk up the not picking him up from the shelter as her being young and stupid? Perhaps she was overwhelmed with work and classes and didn't realize that you had to go get your dog. They aren't going to hold him forever. Or did she like not having him around at first and then started to miss him. And where is the brother? Is he going to take him back to the shelter or sell him again?

I don't know!!! I really wish she hadn't sent all those pictures, cause the both of them look happy in the pictures. Damn it all! Wouldn't be so bad, but Blizzard really is a handful and I know it's going to take a while to find another owner who is willing to work on his behavior. Obviously the last home shows that.

If anything, at least he's neutered now! He has sooo many structural issues (you should see him walk. omg) that he really should not even been given the chance to be bred, even by accident. He's even missing a bone in one of his back toes. We wondered why it was so short (looks like he's missing a toe, but it's there) and she told us he was missing a bone. It was a birth defect.

Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:34 pm

wow that is very irresponsible on that young woman's part. She "adopted or raised" the dog and from what is sounds like and he's the last thing on her mind wtf.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Sounds like he has been through enough. He deserves a home with an older, mature adult maybe nonworking, who can help him through his issues. Second chances sure.... but not in this case. The girl needs an easier breed, but really don't think she deserves any dog. Tired of excuses for mistreating defenseless animals. There are no excuses!!! JMO
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I would be really hesitant to give her another chance as well, but shit happens, and people grow up. I would use your best judgement. Maybe she really was overwhelmed and had no clue at that point.

People DO get educated, and just because she wasn't ready at ONE time, doesn't mean she will never be. I would talk to her, face to face, see how he acts with her, etc. Then use your best judgement.

Who knows what happened, and people shouldn't be judged harshly forever, but that's just IMO.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Family member dumped him once and no one retrieved him. Then the dog does thousands in damage to another person's house. The dog is only 11 months old. He is entering the time when much patience is needed to deal with regular Husky behavior, and this pup has issues which go above and beyond. Don't know if I would trust pics of nice house and so on. Home visit for sure. What happens when part time job becomes full time? Or when he destroys her parent's home? Risk is high that he will be re-homed again. Tough call. Best of luck Sara (and Blizzard)!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 pm

It sounds like she is trying hard to get him back. At least she's allayed the concerns about him being crated 10 hours a day. So I take back my earlier comment, I think I would find it a tough call. If in talking with her it sounds like she has learned from this whole process and become more responsible, then maybe. I think I would ask her how she would deal with the behaviour problems he showed at the last place, and maybe talk with her about what would be needed, because she won't be getting back exactly the same dog her brother handed in - he's had a hard time in the meantime. She didn't do the right thing by him before but I don't want to be too judgemental because it sounds like she is trying now and sometimes people do learn.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 3:49 pm

The older I get, the more I trust my gut.

You have had a lot of training, worked with other rescues and know what constitutes a responsible owner. Plus you have a definite connection to Blizzard. So your intellectual and emotional knowledge will tell you what to do after you tell her your concerns and let her answer.

If you decide to let her have another chance, short leash.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 7:47 pm

We are letting another lady decide. She's the main one who runs the rescue. If the girl can convince her, then he'll go back. Honestly I doubt she can change the rescue lady's mind. She's pretty set that we're not giving the dog back. So we'll see. I honestly don't know which would be best. I do know I would very much like him out of my house already! I'm not cut out for fostering dogs! lol. I'll stick with kitties! My main problem with him, is he's been playing too rough with my girls and grabbing their necks, cheeks, and legs and shaking them making them yipe. It sucks having to crate them all so much, but I can't leave them on the porch to play for too long, cause the play just gets rougher and rougher.

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Dropped of Blizzard with the main rescue lady. He's pretty much at doggie boot camp now! lol. She is going to work on his behavior for a while. She hasn't talked with the previous owner yet, but is going to call her with a list of questions. She would be fine giving Blizzard back if the girl would actually admit fault, but so far she's been blaming everyone and everything else. Plus found out that the girl is on forums too! But not husky ones, wolfdogs ones! That with her giving him to a lady with an unspayed female akita makes me think she was planning on breeding him. Maybe not, but it will be interesting to see if she wants him back after knowing he's been neutered.

The lady doesn't think it should take long to adopt him out. She's already had a few people call about him, though one was a 12 yr old!

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Well Bizzard, now Cesar again, is back with his origional owner. Guess she said the right things to the main rescue lady and finally did admit fault. She paid the $200 adoption fee and Blizzard apparently went nuts when he saw her. I don't think he'll live a bad life with the girl, I just hope she doesn't get bored with him and tries to rehome him in a not so great home or have him land in the shelter again. Fingers crossed!

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 11:12 pm

One down and another pops up! Grrrr.... A guy contacted me a while back needing help re-homing his malamute. Well find out that no home was good enough and he ended up just keeping her. Well now his house is under foreclosure and he really needs to re-home her this time.

Anyone want a nice 7yr old malamute?
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23636509

Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 pm

She looks great, i hope she gets a great home!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/   Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/ Empty

Back to top Go down

Update: The Blizzard is back with his first owner. :/

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next