It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Teaching a puppy how to jog?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

Teaching a puppy how to jog? Empty
PostSubject: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Our little one is only 4 months old, but I'm really looking forward to eventually being able to jog with him! I read somewhere in this forum about how they shouldn't really run on hard surfaces until they're almost a year old. Is that true? When can I start trying to train him to run alongside me - and how? Right now Ezio's just a puppy and any kind of running we do (sometimes we run back to the apartment from the grass just outside), he BOLTS ahead. Any tips? Before we had him I ran almost every day, so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it and having a buddy this time! Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:26 am

It is absolutely true that you should not run a puppy on a hard surface until they're around a year old. If you do, you run a significant risk of damaging Ezio's growing joints. He can run around on the grass all day with unstructured type play, but seriously wait to start jogging with him.

In the meantime, train him to heel. We had the best success teaching that with high value treats, and we'd walk around with a treat in the hand giving the heel command. Whenever Ghost walked in a decent heel position we'd praise like crazy and occasionally give the treat. Once Ezio is consistently in a good heel position, start weaning off the treats. Consistency is key with this one.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Teaching a puppy how to jog? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Good deal! Thanks for the info. I'll wait to jog him. In the meantime we'll hopefully get him well-trained. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jess-Crichton
Newborn
Newborn
Jess-Crichton

Female Join date : 2012-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm

can I ask how do you train them to heel???
I tried going to puppy classes but my oldest has only become worse in the pulling instead of better =S he used to be a good walker but now it has become quite uncomfortable.
I have figured out a method, which is I start on the step by the front door, and walk with him, the longer he stays beside me without pulling the further we walk, but as soon as he pulls I turn back around and tell him to sit on the step beside me again and I repeat the process but I don't know if this is a good idea, since as soon as I get to a new place, he pulls again ^^;
Bandit and Luna are not very obedient, I am not sure if it is too late to train them ^^;
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 10:21 pm

If he's bolting ahead I'm guessing he's not on lead which is really risky in itself, get him used to walking on a lead while you wait for him to be old enough to start jogging with you. I've found a harness works well for Milla, over just a collar.
Back to top Go down
Jess-Crichton
Newborn
Newborn
Jess-Crichton

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:08 am

What harness do you get? confused
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 am

Hey Jess, your method sounds great. It's very similar to what we did with ours. And it's never too late, and they are never too old to learn. Just stick with it.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

not trying to advertise here lol but we had a major pulling issue with Dakota. We didn't walk him ... he draged us Smile So i tried the over the nose lead thing , he didn't pull any but he was misreble and spent the walk trying to get the infernal object off his nose. So i just recently got a Halti Harness. A strap goes across the chest and another is around his girth. The leash attaches to his chest in front, and the harness clips to his collar, so even if he somehow backed out of it he is still connected via collar. He is a different dog walking on this thing. Perhaps it can help you. Here is a link to the harness , http://www.petco.com/product/114796/The-Company-of-Animals-Halti-Dog-Harness.aspx
You don't have to buy it there of course, but at least you can see what i'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:59 pm

We started jogging with Onyx around 4-5 months. We would jog in the park and he always goes on the grass, he hates the sidewalk. He wasn't a loose leash walker, more of tight lead with light pulling. As it translates he usually ran right next to us, we never had an issue of him bolting ahead or trying to pull us, unless we had to stop for his business and my wife would jog ahead, then we HAD to catch up...lol.

Anyway, we found it useful to start that early before his nose started getting the best of him, haha. It also helped to do it in area with minimal distraction, that is why we ran in the park and not our neighborhood, that was a disaster when we tried...lol.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Most def too early to start at 4 mos!
Play only at this age on grass.

When he's older, get a harness ( Nordkyn, Adanac, Ruffwear).
If he doesn't just take off with eagerness to pull you into the next county, have a friend run in front of the dog. He'll try to get to the friend and figure out what you want him to do. This works even better if the friend has a dog!
Back to top Go down
Jess-Crichton
Newborn
Newborn
Jess-Crichton

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 am

rileyflorence wrote:
Hey Jess, your method sounds great. It's very similar to what we did with ours. And it's never too late, and they are never too old to learn. Just stick with it.

Thank you, its nice to know I might be doing something right ^^; I was starting to lose a little bit of hope, due to bandit getting stronger and stronger =S

Thank you for the harness/halti link, though I think I am going to still try practising the walking back and forth from the front door until he gets it =S though I was still think of a harness anyway since when he is older I will be jogging with him. I know he is dying to run =S he keeps trying to follow other people that jog by us.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a puppy how to jog?   Teaching a puppy how to jog? Empty

Back to top Go down

Teaching a puppy how to jog?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1