It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Neutering Questions!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bte
Newborn
Newborn

Neutering Questions! Empty
PostSubject: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

So i'm about to get an 8week old husky pup.
I know all the burdens and joys that come with the pup but had some questions in regards to neutering.

When is an appropriate age to get this procedure done? ASAP?
Should i wait a year or something of that nature to let the pup "develop"? or is asap the best option.

Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Where I live, my pup had to get all of his parvo/distemper shots and his rabies before he could get neutered. And since they're all 3 weeks apart, I didn't get him neutered until he is 5 1/2 months. His had "developed" enough by then but the best thing to do is talk to your vet and see what they recommend. Although you should definitely do it before they reach sexual maturity which is at about 6-7 months.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I like the 6 month mark for neutering and spayings.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 pm

That will depend on how fast he "matures". Balon will be a bit over 5 months and is being neutered on Friday. His teeth are all in (save for two extra baby canines that didn't come out and now have to be pulled lol) and he has begun to mark a little. So friday it is.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm a bit different about neutering than most. I disagree with early neutering, since it can cause growth problems in some dogs. We will begin training for agility next week with Cato, we may not neuter him if proves to be good at agility, since we would love to get him involved in the show world. BUT, if we neuter him, it will not be until 18 months of age.

Note: This is MY OPINION, you don't have to agree with it. I am providing studies to back my opinion as well.

Here is some reading:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/17/dangers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx

There are many other studies, I can post more if you like.

Please don't misunderstand, I completely advocate spay and neuter, but I personally am against early spay and neuter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Neutered Kale at 5 months, he's 23.75 inches and almost 60Ibs. Small to medium dogs (which Sibes fall under) can be neutered early with little to no effect on growth plates. Large to giant breeds is a different story. Spaying and neutering is all personally preference. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with; stick to your gut.

Last edited by hypers987 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 pm

I agree with Brooke, stick to your gut. Do what feels right. My dogs have all been neutered earlier in life besides Odin. He was older (5-6ish) when he was neutered.

If I had to do it again and got to choose when I neutered my males... I would most likely wait. It would depend on the dog and their individual temperament but I feel I generally would wait. Not super long but probably around 12-18 months.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 am

I should mention that we also have a couple of unspayed female dogs on the street, I don't believe in overpopulation should he get out! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 am

Megan I found the articles you linked to really interesting thanks for posting, I like to research all about dogs myself and have read many articles on this very subject Very Happy. And boy does the info out there vary!

Last edited by Balonsmom on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : content)
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm

I waited for Braiden until he was 18 months for the reasons Megan stated. Was actually going to wait until 2 years, but he started acting really pushy with Max our Pit mix so opted for 18 months. Skyla will be 2 in September and will be spayed then. Max was a rescue and was already fixed when we got him. All depends on personal preference.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:24 pm

My first husky, Casey was neutered at 7. I had misguided ideas about breeding him. I was young did not know better. After continued probs with over aggression and other males, we had him neutered. And realized that we should have done it much sooner.

My second husky, Tasha was neutered at six months after her first heat. She developed cancer at nine. I don't know if there was any correlation. She lived until almost 14.

Bodhi, my current husky, was neutered at a year and five months. It was a condition of rehoming him, but I would have done it anyway. He never had aggression probs, but the constant marking he displayed before is much improved since neutering .
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm

I think 6 months is a good age..

Blaze was neuter 2 weeks after we got him at 9 months..

Kerian was spay by the shelter at about 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm

I usually stick to 5-6 months, Embry and Zoey were both done at 5 months.
Ares is almost 7 months and I haven't gotten him neutered yet because we're attempting to get his papers and potentially show him depending on how he fills out.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:29 am

Balon was neutered yesterday and is doing fine, he isn't found of his cone of shame lol, but I only use it in the crate as he doesn't seem to be licking! They also had to pull his top two baby canines as the adult ones were in and they hadn't fallen out yet. He is on pain meds, and restricted activity of course. My vet believes in 5-6 months, she watches for teeth to be in, and he had them all.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I've also read articles that provide evidence which supports waiting until your doggy is fully matured.

I have also read that Huskies take slightly longer than other breeds to reach full size/maturity. In most cases 2.5 - 3 years.

So in an ideal world I would like to wait. If his personality changes and it needs to be done sooner for other reasons then so be it.
Back to top Go down
chachawolf
Newborn
Newborn
chachawolf

Male Join date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 pm

Yeah I have no choice but to neuter my dog because only one of his testicle descended.... but I wasn't sure when is the right time to do it..
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Chachawolf, can they locate the testicles? Will it be Exploratory surgery?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 pm

chachawolf wrote:
Yeah I have no choice but to neuter my dog because only one of his testicle descended.... but I wasn't sure when is the right time to do it..

I would give it until about 6 months of age to neuter him. Lucian had one testicle that was taking longer then the other one to descend. They had told me they would wait until he was 6 months old to neuter him, and give it time to drop. It did drop on it's own finally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neutering Questions!   Neutering Questions! Empty

Back to top Go down

Neutering Questions!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1