It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ezio WILL NOT eat!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 pm

We've had Ezio about a month now and he has always been SO GOOD about eating all his food. We would set it down and he'd inhale it all within a few minutes, even picking up stray pieces from the floor and licking the bowl clean. It's been different over the past few days, though. He doesn't seem to have an appetite. In the morning he'll eat about half his usual amount and let the rest sit until a few hours later. Right now (7:45PM Central time, about 2 hours later than his usual dinnertime) he's sitting in the kitchen whining because we have him locked in there with the hope that he'll just start to eat SOME of his food knowing he'll be allowed to come out after (like before), but he hasn't yet.

We're feeding him NutriSource puppy food, which is what they were feeding him when we got him. There's about half a bag left, so if we switch him to new food I'd at least like to finish off this bag first... We've been talking about ordering Timberwolf brand food. It's really expensive, but if it's better for him and he'll actually EAT IT the price would be okay. What do your huskies eat regularly and as puppies? Any thoughts on how to make him eat more consistently again? He's going to the vet on the 28th for a few shots, but that's some time away. I really don't understand what's wrong. Sad

Edit: He ended up finally eating his dinner, but jeez, it's a process lately!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Have you tried giving him only 15 mins to eat and then removing the bowl? I have heard about that but never did it with my girls.

Besides that i dunno what to say. good luck though
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:14 am

If he is still playful and otherwise acting normal I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 am

paleobones wrote:
If he is still playful and otherwise acting normal I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I agree completely there. Until there is something to worry about, don't worry about it. Huskies will skip on meals at times and sometimes 2 meals +.
Back to top Go down
khastings18
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-07-17

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 am

itsjosieb - may I suggest that you gradually add his new food to what you feed him now over at least a two week period as Huskies have sensitive stomachs (any dog should have food transitioned slowly anyway). If you Google you should find proportions to do it, but something like substituting 1/4 or less of his existing food with new food for a few days, then 1/2 for few days, then 3/4, etc. something like that. Our Denali's stomach is so sensitive, we can't even feed him anything with fish, believe it or not! But the vet stressed that the transition of food should be gradual.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 am

Yup. Don't worry about it.

Some huskies self regulate. They will eat only what they need and then leave the rest. Like others have said it is not unheard of for them to go a couple of days without eating, or eating very very little.

Just make sure Ezio has plenty of water and cut back on the treats if you can until the food is gone.

Like others have said, if Ezio is active and playful I wouldn't worry about it.

You can try adding a little water to the food to bring the aroma of it out. That can sometimes remind them they are hungry.

Other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Yes, Ezio is acting normal aside from this new eating quirk. I'm relieved that this is something huskies sometimes do and there isn't anything wrong. For now I've been leaving his leftovers down for him throughout the day. He does eventually eat it all typically, but he does it in parts now instead of all at once. Since he's telling me when he needs to go outside by barking/whining I guess I don't need to regulate his eating and eliminating as much. Thank you so much for all the advice and assurance! This forum has already taught and helped us so much!

Karen18 wrote:
itsjosieb - may I suggest that you gradually add his new food to what you feed him now over at least a two week period as Huskies have sensitive stomachs (any dog should have food transitioned slowly anyway). If you Google you should find proportions to do it, but something like substituting 1/4 or less of his existing food with new food for a few days, then 1/2 for few days, then 3/4, etc. something like that. Our Denali's stomach is so sensitive, we can't even feed him anything with fish, believe it or not! But the vet stressed that the transition of food should be gradual.

I did not know that, but I have read about their sensitive stomachs so it definitely makes sense. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ezio WILL NOT eat!   Ezio WILL NOT eat! Empty

Back to top Go down

Ezio WILL NOT eat!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1