It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 am

Okay, so I recently my boyfriend and I moved back into his mom's house. She needed help paying the mortgage. So I pay rent, food, part of the power bill, and whatever else she needs help with if I have some extra cash. (College and two dogs isn't cheap xD)

Anyway, let me get to the point. My bf's mom let one of her friends move in as well. That wasn't a problem with me at first, then all of a sudden his says he has a pit bull. Now, I'm in no way shape or form against pits. I have met many great pits but I have also seen my share of mean ones. I live in Baltimore and we have a big problem with dog fighting. So I asked my bf's mom if she knows anything about this dog. She says no. She has no idea if the dog has his shots, good with other dogs, cats, if he is fixed, ect. So he finally moves in and brings the dog. The dog isn't fix, HATES other dogs, and I still have no idea if he is up to date on shots. He leaves his dog in the basement all day and night but this basement door is about to fall apart so if that dog wants out he is getting out... So this morning I wake up and go to take Nova outside and surprise! The dog is tied outside. The cable he was on could easily reach the door and anywhere in the yard.. (with no water or share.. It was 103 outside). Thank god I saw him first because when he saw us he came running for Nova.

That's the gist of my issue. So how do I approach this man and tell him he needs to do something about his dog? How can I get him to prove he has shots? How can I make sure he keeps his dog contained properly? X.x

(sorry this is so long and sorry for any typoes, typing at work on a cell)
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 am

Tell your bf's mom that its either him or you leaving and be ready to leave, along with any $$$ support you've been submitting.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 am

agreed 100% with Len.

I would never have my dog around a dog that isn't healthy, ie has all its shots. Nor would I put up with it being tied up in yard that I must use for my dogs. No way.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 am

I'm with len, talk to the mom, she should have had this guy sign a contract and it should have stated all info on the dog be given. It all sounds shady, why would she let this guy move in with out talking to you both first? I would leave....

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am

Talk to the mother. Personally, I would try to have a conversation about it before I threatened to leave. I would also explain the risks of having a dog like that living there, but ultimately I would end with "If things don't change, I'm going to be forced to leave. I can't live with a dog like this."

Need advice  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 pm

I agree with everyone.

But, I think you should approach your boyfriend about it first. If he has your back, bring him with you and talk to his mother together, in a firm but calm manner. No one should have to stand for this in their residence. In the very least, you are paying a lot of bills, so you are entitled to have an opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Well my boyfriend backs me up. It's our "children" lol. His mom is afraid that the pit will attack her cat but she still allows him to keep the dog. My boyfriend talked to her briefly about the pit and she really didn't want to hear it. She says he pays more in rent than me. (That's news to me -.- )so since he pays more, he has more say than me apperently. She doesn't care how we feel. So I guess time to start finding another place to stay.

So how would y'all recommend I deal with the dog if it does try to attack my huskies? I'm honestly afraid to kick it like most of my friends say to do.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 pm

I would definitely not kick the dog. Just make sure you can get your dogs easily.

Honestly watch your dogs like a hawk and don't create a situation for this to happen. I wouldn't let mine out of my sight or anywhere near that dog.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:44 pm

you could get this
http://www.amazon.com/Premier-DIRECT-STOP-RETAIL-SprayShield/dp/B0002XKIV6
also keep a filled water spray bottle around
but most importantly what Megan said, don't let the situation happen.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I agree, don't let the situation happen. Take every precaution. I've had 2 dogs killed by another dog. It's the most horrible experience to go through, and quite honestly, if a dog was attacking or killing my dog, I would not think twice about killing the other dog (like in this case, where the dog is very aggressive) I may get called out for that statement, but I've already been through it once, and I will not think twice to stop it from happening again.

I would say move out, as well, and take the support that you are giving her with it. You are her kid's other half. THAT ALONE should mean more than this friend.

Just my Need advice  2144500265 Though.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Phoenixsrequiem wrote:
She says he pays more in rent than me. (That's news to me -.- )so since he pays more, he has more say than me apperently. She doesn't care how we feel. So I guess time to start finding another place to stay.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Honestly? The whole situation is bizarre to me. I lived with my inlaws ONCE, and I do mean once. I would never do it again and I would certainly never PAY to live there. It's just a recipe for disaster and I actually got/get along well with them.

The fact that she's holding money over your/his head is just plain wrong. Get out. And get out soon, I say.

Need advice  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:39 pm

If there was a dog attacking my dogs I would kick the dog. My dogs are more more important than anyone else's dog. Pulling your dog away only makes it vulnerable to the other dog. You can grab the aggressor by the back legs and lift as high as possible. If that didn't work or they turned to snap at me I would have no reservations in kicking the dog.

That being said we've warded off plenty off off leash dogs with a big deep HEY!

I would get out ASAP and walk the dog instead of using the yard.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Obviously I would prefer not to kick the dog, but if it were attacking Cato and Delilah I'd do anything I had to.
Back to top Go down
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm going to try my hardest to avoid his dog. I'm just worried because the basement door isn't really in that great of condition. That dog could easily break through the door if he really wanted to. My mom told me to buy some mace or an ax handle.
Back to top Go down
Phoenixsrequiem
Newborn
Newborn

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:21 pm

@ Tiffany

I'm so sorry to hear lost two dogs that way Sad I just lost my cat to nasal cancer so I'm really terrified of losing another animal or them gettin hurt. I don't want to see his dog put to sleep because he didn't properly house the animal either. So I'm at a loss.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Phoenixsrequiem wrote:
@ Tiffany

I'm so sorry to hear lost two dogs that way Sad I just lost my cat to nasal cancer so I'm really terrified of losing another animal or them gettin hurt. I don't want to see his dog put to sleep because he didn't properly house the animal either. So I'm at a loss.

The dog shouldn't be in his care if he can't control it or doesn't know how to train it. You shouldn't be worried about what is gonna happen to his animal. You need to be concerned for you and yours.
Back to top Go down
prtlad999
Newborn
Newborn
prtlad999

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi,
I took Noah to the dog park once and took him in the big doggie side and another huskie went after him.. well i lifted Noah up over my head and i was ready to kick the hell out of that dog.. good thing his owner got him off... but.. i wouldnt kick a pit.. they are mean if not trained right. I had a neighbor with two pits..sweetest dogs.. never hurt anyone.. but one day they got out and another dog went after the male.it was an ugly seen... if u have to crate ur dogs to keep that pit away do it... dont trust him for a minute... good luck findin a new place... if u have to pay...pay for your own!!!!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Phoenixsrequiem wrote:

So how would y'all recommend I deal with the dog if it does try to attack my huskies? .

I'd strongly suggest a bullet to the head but I see your in Maryland which is just as stupid about gun laws as New York is.

Move out ASAP its a lose lose situation for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice    Need advice  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1