It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  Empty
PostSubject: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

For those that don't remember, I bring Juneau to work with me.

Today, I caught my boss trying to feed her GUM! What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  85993 GUM!?! What the hell?! It was the Eclipse kind. I rushed over to swipe it out of her mouth. I was pissed. I said, "Do you really think it's okay to feed my dog, who is only 3 months, gum? She's just like a baby! Do you give babies gum?"

He's like, "Where does it say they can't have gum? It looked like she was enjoying it." Well gee, I can feed her chocolate and she can look like she's enjoying herself. It's common sense, doofus! What do I have to do, carry a sign around her neck, labeling food items you can't feed her? Christ. Irritating. /endrant

Do any of you have an experience where you can relate to this? How did you solve it?
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:08 pm

We had a birthday party at my house for my niece. Twenty five people came. Needless to say CJ got some red velvet cake the kids left out. We don't feed her any table food. The next morning was really bad. Steam cleaner is getting a workout lately!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Oh man! Yeah, I don't give table scraps either. Occasionally I'll give her some cooked/unseasoned chicken, but that's about it. Red Velvet cake sounds good, mmm lol.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Kerian ate over half a package of sugar free vitamin C drops before we caught her. Needless to say she had diarrhea. After reading the package I realize that even in human it can cause diarrhea. Her Diarrhea was pure liquid.

No one feed it to her we just left it for her to find.

I would ask your co-workers NOT to feed her anything.. !!!!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:43 pm

I've caught my sister trying to give Lycus a peanut butter cookie! Neutral I don't give him any table scraps at all either so at least I caught her in time.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Wow! Yeah ljelgin, my boss is very friendly with pups but he's 65 yrs old lol. Hasn't had a pet in yrs but I definitely don't care for his carelessness. He should have asked! Grr lol. I firmly told him to not do it again.

Lycus, good thing you caught her! I'd snap lol.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 8:03 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Wow! Yeah ljelgin, my boss is very friendly with pups but he's 65 yrs old lol. Hasn't had a pet in yrs but I definitely don't care for his carelessness. He should have asked! Grr lol. I firmly told him to not do it again.

Be REALLY careful with gum, xylitol is a deadly toxin to dogs. I'd google some articles on it, print it out, and show it to your boss. If you're going to bring her in again, you might want to do a little office education on the things that are toxic to animals, because there are a lot of things (like grapes) that people have no idea about.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 pm

There is a local man that walks his dog by my house everyday and if either of my dogs are outside, he gives them a treat. Normally this would freak me out but he is a reporter for the Bloomington newspaper and well known so I let it pass. You would think he would ask me first. Suspect I always wait for the dogs at the door when they are outside doing their business so people don't realize I'm watching. I started popping my head out and saying hi to anyone even thinking about approaching my dogs so no one thinks they are unsupervised.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm

My UPS driver gives my Lab a treat when she is out in the yard, I am sure he does it to make friends with all the dogs on his route lol.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 pm

My neighbours tried to feed my dogs chicken bones! I just let the dogs out, and they ran around the corner of our yard. I went to follow them, and when I go there, my neighbours, who were outside snacking on chicken wings were throwing bones over the fence at the dogs. Needless to say I flipped out.

I've caught my dad trying to give them chocolate ice cream on multiple occasions. He gives some to his dog and just doesn't get why I don't want him to feed it to my girls. He knows dogs shouldn't have chocolate, but in his mind a little bit won't hurt. It just annoys me that he won't respect my requests!
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 10:44 pm

This thread makes me REALLY grateful that we currently live states away from our families! They ALL give their dogs table scraps. My mother-in-law even feeds her dogs full human meals. The dogs eat what they eat. I can only imagine what kind of havoc they'd wreak on Ezio's stomach with my back turned. If/when we move back they'll all get a firm talking to.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
VintageJeans wrote:

Be REALLY careful with gum, xylitol is a deadly toxin to dogs. I'd google some articles on it, print it out, and show it to your boss. If you're going to bring her in again, you might want to do a little office education on the things that are toxic to animals, because there are a lot of things (like grapes) that people have no idea about.

Thanks for the tip! I had absolutely no idea. I'm sure if my boss heard that, he'd turn around in a heartbeat.

Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 am

Balonsmom wrote:
My UPS driver gives my Lab a treat when she is out in the yard, I am sure he does it to make friends with all the dogs on his route lol.

LOL! I'm sure he attempts to make many dog friends along his route. Man, I'd hate that job if I didn't like dogs. Good thing I do. Smile

26nikita wrote:
There is a local man that walks his dog by my house everyday and if either of my dogs are outside, he gives them a treat. Normally this would freak me out but he is a reporter for the Bloomington newspaper and well known so I let it pass. You would think he would ask me first. Suspect I always wait for the dogs at the door when they are outside doing their business so people don't realize I'm watching. I started popping my head out and saying hi to anyone even thinking about approaching my dogs so no one thinks they are unsupervised.

That's a good idea. I would always ask!

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
My neighbours tried to feed my dogs chicken bones! I just let the dogs out, and they ran around the corner of our yard. I went to follow them, and when I go there, my neighbours, who were outside snacking on chicken wings were throwing bones over the fence at the dogs. Needless to say I flipped out.

I've caught my dad trying to give them chocolate ice cream on multiple occasions. He gives some to his dog and just doesn't get why I don't want him to feed it to my girls. He knows dogs shouldn't have chocolate, but in his mind a little bit won't hurt. It just annoys me that he won't respect my requests!

Chicken bones! Whew! They could choke on those. Sad I can't believe your dad does that. It's still kinda risky to me! He should respect your requests! Shame on him. Sad

itsjosieb wrote:
This thread makes me REALLY grateful that we currently live states away from our families! They ALL give their dogs table scraps. My mother-in-law even feeds her dogs full human meals. The dogs eat what they eat. I can only imagine what kind of havoc they'd wreak on Ezio's stomach with my back turned. If/when we move back they'll all get a firm talking to.

Wow. I can't stand it when Juneau begs while I'm trying to eat. I can only imagine what goes on at their table lol.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 12:15 am

No one feeds my dog anything - I tell them the rules when they meet the dog if there's food around. If anyone feels put out, I tell them the dog has a sensitive tummy and anything new results in explosive diarrhea. That works.
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:33 am

Somebody tried to feed trillion part of their subway sandwhich yesterday alone with a nice side of chips, but really gets me is when people ASK her to "jump up" onto their chests or in their laps, trillion knows better to jump so she just stands there and looks at them like they're stupid. (unless I'm having a panic attack then nuzzles her way in my arms she curls into my lap)
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 4:21 am

Freya has never had any 'human food' I give her Raw, but I dont consider that human food as I dont eat raw food lol.

I just tell people she has a husky tummy and is allergic to everything. Although she does get dhiarrea with alot of human foods it's not technically true, but I wont tell them different.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 4:19 pm

pandactivity wrote:
Somebody tried to feed trillion part of their subway sandwhich yesterday alone with a nice side of chips, but really gets me is when people ASK her to "jump up" onto their chests or in their laps, trillion knows better to jump so she just stands there and looks at them like they're stupid. (unless I'm having a panic attack then nuzzles her way in my arms she curls into my lap)

This is the worst, when they ask your pup to do something you've made an effort for years to make sure they don't do it!! Like jumping up for human food! Not only are they feeding your dog crap thats going to make them ill, they're training bad habits!

Our neighbours kids are out out control, they're twins, i think 7 or 8 years old. I caught them throwing over chocolate for Luka - DARK chocolate!!! The boys alright but when you tell the girl NO she doesn't listen :/

Luka gets no table scraps of any sort. He is simply not allowed. However, my dad insists on doing it behind my back. Now, my dad loves his food, and always used to wipe his plate clean. Now however, I always notice he saves a bit to the side. Says he's too full to eat. Its like, i'm not stupid!! Grrr. They do love him though, and they do help with his care, so I am grateful! (the parents that is, the kids next door, the kids i could do without lol).
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Haha, I must be a horrible mom, then, because my dogs all get table scraps. Especially left over meat. Razz

I found my sister feeding m&ms to Kya. Her justification "They have peanuts in them, so it isn't that much chocolate!"
Back to top Go down
NatalieJ
Newborn
Newborn
NatalieJ

Female Join date : 2012-07-05

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Hmmmm Lol, I live with my fiance and his parents, and it makes food-training impossible, they just don't get that huskys stomach are more sensitive than the staffies and rotties they've owned in the past, it REALLY frustrates me.

My partners sister was feeding Thor 'smackos', when I looked and had a go at her she just said i was being retarded, so Thor was only 9 weeks and just pure liquid poops were to follow.

My partners mum tried feeding him KFC skin when he ran into the main house, which i was like "NO" and I somehow get corrected for it Question She ALWAYS insists on her feeding him rice and boiled chicken in broth "Because that's how she would do it" but keeps reassuring me it's mine and my partners dog we can do what we like =_= I explain I just don't want him too now that his poops are finally solid on Cainade, but it's causing issues!

When I was at work one of my co-workers had some left over chicken and chips and said I can take it home for my dog, and god offended when I said no thanks and explained cooked chicken (it was wings mostly left) and chips is bad for dogs.

Gah I hate people who just mindlessly think, "Well my dog didn't have any negative effects from feeding him half of the kitchen, yours will be fine"

SIIIIGH lol. Cant wait to leave this place! haha poor Thor.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I had my friends fiance, (who was disrespectful and I kicked him out of my apartment in southern california ) try to feed maggie an oreo. Let me tell you I got in his face. He was 6'2 and I am 5'8. No one messes with my dog. Other than that my friends and family are dog people and neyer do anything dumb like that.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 pm

I moved in with my parents during the transition between military to civilian life. Prior to that Luna NEVER had table scraps. I could sit on the couch next to her eating a sandwich and she couldn't care less. So the other day I walked downstairs and my dad is feeding Luna a McDonalds cheeseburger. Needless to say I was not happy!!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 am

Tiff&Kya wrote:
Haha, I must be a horrible mom, then, because my dogs all get table scraps. Especially left over meat. Razz

Me too! My two love cheese. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 12:28 am

I find myself becoming the husky advocate at the park, swooping in to make sure all treats are grain-free. I feel like such a pencil neck, but it must be done! Some lady once tried to feed my dog Dr. Pepper. I almost slapped her.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 am

We don't have any problems with people feeding our current pups anything we don't want them to, but our Samoyed was another story. My dad LOVED to feed her mashed potatoes. He would leave some on his plate any night we had them and let her eat it off of his fingers. Luckily with Demon and DAkota he listens to our wishes...although he does tease me with giving them some. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 am

Tiff&Kya wrote:

I found my sister feeding m&ms to Kya. Her justification "They have peanuts in them, so it isn't that much chocolate!"

Not at all, it just means you have a tolerant Husky!! If we have chicken, fish or meat left over, providing its been cooked plain, I do put some in with his kibble, but even thats risky!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!    What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!  Empty

Back to top Go down

What has your neighbor/family/friend/co-worker tried to feed your Husky?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1