It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

Male Join date : 2012-05-29

Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! Empty
PostSubject: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello All, I am house/dog sitting for some family friends who have a sibe/lab mix with severe separation anxiety. They used to have the dog on medication, not sure what. But have tapered him off of it because it was getting too expensive for their son. (his dog, watching it at his parents house along with their dog.)

I have him gated in the kitchen/TV room area, but he'll jump the gates into the front room where he's (so far) destroyed custom wooden blinds, and the custom front door, which I am sure is worth thousands alone not to mention the rugs, the mats under the rugs, as well as the door into the garage. I have blocked off every door way, door and access point that I possibly can, but today I came back from running errands, and he'd started clawing at a different door that leads out to the patio. I bought him a thunder shirt, and I am walking him as much as my schedule allows. I can't do dog parks or off leash areas, he's a well behaved dog, but I don't know how he'd do listening to me off leash, or around other dogs. (he's older too, so a bit grumpy)

What can I do? It's getting to the point where I cannot leave their house to get groceries because I know I'll come back to something else destroyed. It's too hot to take him on errands with me or I would do that. I am stressed because he's is literally trying to break down the door while I am gone, and I have until Wednesday until they come home. I know that they will not charge me, or blame me necessarily for the damage, but I hate that it's happening on my watch. I am so sick of him, that I am starting to not give him the attention I know he needs because he's made such a mess of their house, and stressed me out.

I would bring up our kennel and put him in that, but I worry that he'd try to get out and injure himself, I also leave him with bones etc to occupy some of his anxious energy, those don't occupy him for long.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Should I give him benedryl to relax him? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nash on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.toocutetokill.blogspot.com
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Dalton- Siberians need a lot of exercise, especially when they are anxious. This dog is anxious because his humans are gone, and he doesn't know you yet. Can you run or bike with him? In the early morning or after the sun goes down are best. Lots of miles...

Also what about the garage as a place to keep him when you aren't home?
Can you take stuff that the dog might injure himself with out?

I've been there, and know how frustrating this can be. When I locked him in the garage, my second husky ran around inside with pieces of firewood, knocking holes in the wall!
Back to top Go down
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 6:44 pm

I've known the dog for 12 years, so that isn't the issue. As for exercise, no matter the amount, it hasn't helped him, and believe me, I know how much huskies need! Smile The garage, unfortunately isn't safe, lots of chemicals, cars, and who knows what else. Plus, I would rather him continue to ruin the same door, than have 3 half ruined doors...
Back to the drawing board!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:00 pm

It sounds like he's a bad case of separation anxiety and so it would take a long time for sensitization and counter-conditioning to work (not feasible by Wednesday!). It's possible a dog appeasing pheromone collar might help, but it would be better paired with counter-conditioning - probably not worth it since the problem (for you) is temporary. Maybe you can get a friend or relative to sit with him while you go out to the store? It sounds like you are under house arrest just to keep him happy! He is probably worse because his usual people aren't there. It's lovely of you to look after him because it sounds like they couldn't have gone away otherwise. Good luck with the last few days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:21 pm

OMG! The destructo dog is 12!
Wow.
Most dogs are long past house destroying at that age.
You have your hands full.
Good-luck.
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 pm

The calming collars do help a lot they are at petsmart for eleven dollars. My dog is like what you described every day. We have to kennel her in order to leave. Benedryl does help it will not make the dog sleep. It will just take the edge off for when you leave. It works pretty fast in about ten minutes, and wears off in about two hours. Their metabolism is much faster than ours. It needs to be original benedryl. Only one pill at a time. A combo works best for us. Kong with cheese, benedryl, raw hide or marrow bone in order to leave. The trick is a distraction for first five minutes so they don't hear you leave. Our girl will be relaxed when we get home. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:52 am

Thundershirt along with a filled kong to distract my dog, plus the TV on. However, we had to increase the times we left her in a very small increments and you don't really have that time. Order groceries online until Wednesday?Wink What do they owners do when they leav the house? Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:52 am

Oh - and some recommend Rescue Remedy or Valerian Root to calm the dog. Check with the pet store for the recommended amount.
Back to top Go down
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice!
Can't wait till Wednesday!
Back to top Go down
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Well, one more day until the family gets back, here are some photos of the destruction:

Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! DSC00156
The rug

Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! DSC00155
Door 1

Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! DSC00158
Door 2

Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! DSC00159
baby gate

and the piece de resistance:
Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! DSC00160

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Whoa! How's it going now?
Back to top Go down
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Some of that was from yesterday, so not so good.. ha ha. I ended up getting him an herbal relaxing supplement, a pheromone collar, he's wearing the thunder-shirt constantly, and if I have to leave, I'll give him a benedryl. Wish me luck in the last 16 hours, I swear I'm not counting down......
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 pm

So is the family out of the country? can you not call them? is this the first time you have sat for them? im sorry but if i knew my dog was that crazy when left alone i would have a book for anyone watching him with info on how to handle it. or i would just plan all my trips with the dog. i can't get over all that damage!!!!! from a 12 yr old, unbelievable. im really sorry you have to deal with this and good luck on counting down the hrs and i hope the owners do not blame you for this!

Puppy
Puppy
nash

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:56 pm

They're sweet people, and they do know the dog is a little nuts when they're gone. I've known them for a long time, and knew what I was getting into, but it's never been this bad! Thanks for the well wishes, I know they'll be mad, but it won't be directed at me, more at their son (the owner of the crazy dog.)
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Oh man that's terrible! I know how you feel I tried leaving Cj home alone once when we first got her. She ate my couch and literally tore all the blinds off the wall and ate them too! It was so bad! That was after she escaped the kennel and set the alarm off. She was so freaked out. The owners of the dog your watching may need to hire a pet sitter next time that can stay home the whole time!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Is the dog not crate trained?? I don't think i would be mad so much as devastated by that damage. Oh My I feel for you!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Ask when they will be reimbursing you for damages. (they'll never ask you to watch the dog again. Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm

I was going to bring up our crate and put him in that, but I knew he would go nuts and hurt himself trying to get out.
Since it's their home, they will be paying the damages. I really don't mind watching him, but I won't do it again unless he's on some sort of medication/therapy.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Wow, that's a lot of damage! It sounds like they shouldn't really go away and leave him, until they've sorted it out. Good luck for the last day!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!   Photos and Update  ****  Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Photos and Update **** Dog sitting- SEVERE Anxiety Need help!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1