It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can I Save the Tree?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Can I Save the Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Okay so I just went home for lunch and my daughter had let Saphire outside to go potty UNATTENDED! We usually go out and supervise and play with her every time she goes out.

So out of frustration or bordom or maybe both, Saphire started stripping the bark off of my Maple tree (which I just planted a month ago). My daughter insists she wasn't out for more than about 15 minutes, but hey she is a husky it takes less than that to get into mischief.

This isn't surprising as Saphire LOVES to play with tree branches (like more than new toys and treats) and the first thing she does is strip the bark off. However, its a little upsetting because I just planted the tree.

We are in the process of building a dog run for Saphire (so she has a place to dig) that we can use to ensure that she can't get to the tree again and I will put up a makeshift fence in the meantime.

BUT I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how or if the tree can be saved. I'm doing some internet research but this is my starting place for all things husky! Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 4:50 pm

How much of the bark did she strip off? It also depends on if she stripped around the entire diameter of the trunk. Do you happen to have a pic?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 4:52 pm

can you just build a chicken wire fence around the tree for now? the tree should be fine, did you add any tree food or good dirt when you planted it? if not maybe give it some food to help it to heal faster. do you have pictures?

Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:09 pm

I didn't take pictures but I can if needed. She stripped quite a bit. Like better than half way around the trunk from the lowest branch almost to the ground. But not all the way around.

I will work on a fence to keep her off when I get home and my daughter has strict instructions for watching the dog until then. Just hate to lose the tree.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm

If it is not all the way around, it should heal up and be fine. It will likely be scarred on the trunk.

If she chews 360degrees around the trunk, it will choke off the water/food supply to the tree and it will die.

I think it will be just fine Smile
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm currently trying to find some place locally that I can purchase grafting wax to seal the area she stripped the bark to protect it.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:50 pm

You need to protect the remaining bark mostly. If she chews all the way around, the tree will die.

Can I Save the Tree? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Okay so the internet says that it should be sealed with a wax to protect the tree from water, fungus and insects and that I should wrap the tree with a protective wrap until it heals. So I have to stop at Lowes on my way home. Will keep everyone posted on how it turns out. Hopefully the tree will survive. (I killed the last one without any help from the dog. This one is under warranty but the warranty doesn't cover dog damage!) Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:29 pm

While your at lowes try to find the corrugated tree sleves to put around the trunk then you won't have to build a fence. It protects the bark from deer and dogs. Put some of her dog poop around the base of the tree that will keep her away from it. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm

dbingham12 wrote:
This one is under warranty but the warranty doesn't cover dog damage!)

who said this happened because of the dog Cool
sorry i make returning things in to sport sometimes Razz

good luck on the wax and tree wrap, i would also 2nd getting the harder spiral wrap to keep from farther "dog" damaged.

Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm

I will definitely look into the harder spiral wrap. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I Save the Tree?   Can I Save the Tree? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I Save the Tree?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1