It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Crate Training Empty
PostSubject: Crate Training   Crate Training EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi everyone!
I keep my little guy in the crate at night and he sleeps thru the night and waits until I let him out to go to the bathroom at around 6 am, but I was wondering about during the day if I am going to be gone for school or work, will it be ok to crate him during the day as well since he is not housebroken yet (he does use potty pads right now), or should I just keep him in the crate at night, and let him roam free in the house during the day. I know since he is still young, he can't be in there for too long so I wanted to get opinions if just at night he should be crated? Or is during the night and day too much? Or should I just have him crated during the day instead?

Thank you =)
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

Crate Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I crate at night AND whenever I am gone. It prevents any mischeif Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Crate Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:52 pm

This is all personal preference and depends on your dog. Personally, if he is not house broken, I would not be leaving him alone outside the crate longer than 1-2 hours if you choose to test that out. You'll just end up with pee everywhere and make house breaking them much more difficult. Having him in the crate for a prolonged period is better than having him outside the crate soiling everywhere.

I am outside the norm as most people don't agree with outside access 24/7 when not home, and have always had a dog door with free access to go in and out as they please since they were puppies, even when I am gone, so I never had to worry about soiling as they just would go in the yard.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Crate Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm

I would keep crating him during the day. At this age, they mostly sleep! Do you work 9-5? That's 8 hrs. Puppies usually eat 3 times a day. Juneau just eats whenever she wants, no set schedule. I have the luxury of taking her to work.

I always keep a 100% eye on Juneau when she is loose. They still sniff around and get curious about everything. You'll come home to a messy house if you leave him outside his crate all day.

At a young age, they were taught to not "mess" in their bed. So he shouldn't be peeing or pooping in his crate (unless you give him a ton of water or food). I would, however, leave a little food (not too much that he'll have to poop, just enough to snack on. You don't want to come home to a poopy kennel and a poopy puppy!) and a few gulps of water. Most advise to not leave any rawhide in the cage, incase they choke. Juneau is fine with a stuffed animal and a bully stick (they're safe, easy to digest). Another thing you may want to look into is a KONG - a rubber cone looking thing with a hole in it so you can stuff treats, plain yogurt, PEANUT BUTTER, applesauce, and many other things into it! It will keep most pups occupied for hrs. Freezing the contents will make it more fun for them.

After you get home, let him out right away. Then I'd leave him out until it's bed time! Play with him in between so he knows that he's loved, and to tire him out. Smile

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Crate Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Oh thank you everyone!
I was worried that I might be keeping in his crate for too long if i was crating him at night and during the day, but he does sleep a ton now lol. I work about 6-7 hours (9am -3pm or 4pm), so he will probably be ok if I leave him in there during the day, and for school I will only be gone about 4 hours (probably 9am-1pm), so that isn't too long. I wish I could take him to work with me but my work doesn't allow it unfortunately =( He's very good in his crate and hasn't made any messes in there. he does hold it all night until I let him out to go potty. And I do leave one or two of his favorite kongs with some treats (still have to get peanut butter for him) and a chewy toy or two to let him teeth something.

When I get him up, he uses the bathroom, then eats, and then will use the bathroom afterward, then I'll play with him about an hour before I leave for work to tire him out a bit. Then I always play with him for a couple of hours before his bedtime so I can tire him out again lol

Thank you all for the helpful answers =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crate Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1