It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies & "picky eating"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Huskies & "picky eating" Empty
PostSubject: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am

Does anyone else find there husky to be a picky eater? Cally is 7 and a half months old now and we've had to change her food twice. She stopped eating her puppy food at 6 months and after research I read that usually when they stop showing interest in her puppy food (she had always gobbled it down right away) they're ready to make the switch to adult food. I know this is a debatable topic because many people have different opinions on when to make the switch. Anyways, we switched her to the adult version of Purina One with lamb and she was eating it fine. She was on that for about a month and then last week she stopped eating all together. She would still eat other animals food (my sisters dogs food, my pugs food, just not her own) I figured she was just being picky and read up a little more about it and realized that (once again debatable) many people say it's bad to leave your dogs dish down all day as it allows them to become picky and think that they can have food whenever whereas if you put it down for them and take it away 15 mins later, they realize they have to eat or wait until the next meal time. I tried that for 2 days with her not eating (that sounds bad but she wasn't starving) Finally we switched her onto Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken. We mixed in her Purina food as well and she ate it the first 2 days but last night she ate her breakfast but wouldn't touch her dinner. She still has not eaten it yet, although she had a couple bites of my pugs food this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I just letting her get away with too much? Should I continue my "tough love" approach? Sorry about the long post, any help is appreciated
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Glad to hear u switched from purina, I'm all about tought love, they will not let themselves go hungry, so keep up with the timed feeding. You may also want to try other foods as well, TOTW or even the nature doman from costco is good, you can go raw or freeze dried or there are many other food brands to try that are great. Some people will add stuff to the food like cheese and eggs but to me that's a treat for my 2 and not a tool to get them to eat. Check out our what are you feeding thread for more brand ideas.

Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 pm

I was reading about the Blue Buffalo Wilderness and a lot of people were saying there dogs didn't really eat the chicken but they went nuts for the salmon. So i don't know if I should maybe try that first because I don't want to keep switching foods as Cally has a very sensitive stomach as it is. I also don't like mixing in foods for the exact reason that you just said! Also, do you think it could just be because she smells the purina mixed in with it? Should I try just straight Blue Buffalo... I didn't want to right away because of her sensitive stomach but it's been a few days of mixing now. When she does eat she usually picks out the purina kibbles or tries to and then finally realizes it's too hard and just eats it all lol
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Maggie used to be really picky. She kinda snapped out of it. She mostly will eat TOTW. We tried bb wilderness. She got sick off it. I am going to try THK (the honest kitchen) I think maggie was the same age and just snapped out of it like 2-3 months of it. I tend to keep with TOTW because its the only one she will eat. She would prefer salmon flavored then chicken. lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I cold turkey my dogs... I just use a little sweet.potato if I see an issue. A lot of people do a gradual switch but my female is sensitive and cold turkey was the fastest way to get food that disagreed with her out.

Mine did great on duck and salmon. I recommend it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks you for the suggestions! I think I will try with the "cold turkey" and see how it goes from there. We went to the dog park this morning and when she got back she ate most of her food (dinner from last night) but left some kibbles from the other food on the ground.
Back to top Go down
kell05
Newborn
Newborn
kell05

Female Join date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 am

My dog seems to get sick of of the actual food flavor. We have had her on the "Earth born" brand of food. It is kind of expensive, but I find that switching up between the flavors actually makes her want it more. I buy the biggest bag possible, and when I get down to the last couple weeks. I buy another flavor, mix um together so she gets use to it and it doesn't upset her stomach.

But I find that she is still definitely a slow eater, and doesn't chow down her food all at once like a lot of other dogs such as labs. SO I cannot do the eating once a day thing, because she never eats all of it! SO if anyone has any help with that it would be appreciated:)
Back to top Go down
Skysdad
Newborn
Newborn
Skysdad

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this but looking forward to learning more about my new pal. My dog "Sky" is a 2yr old husky, i rescued him from a pound and loved him every day so far. He is a very picky eater and I am now feeding him Natures Valley for active dogs but, he will only eat it if i add a mixture of peanut butter and water. I only add a little to coat it. but some times he wont even eat that. I know he wont go hungry so I'm not entirely worried but, the 30# bag was $50 and i would love to find something he loves to eat that doesn't break the bank. We live in Mass so, virtually everything is expensive..lol Very Happy
I'm looking forward in hearing from others on this
B
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 am

I wouldn't suggest mixing in anything with it, if he is a healthy pup then he will be eat but as of right now- he is holding out for the good stuff :p
A good place to look into dog foods is: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

I personally feed Cally the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Flavour and she has done well on it. I know a lot of people on here suggest/feed TOTW, Acana, Orijen... Try to stick with the grain free foods with huskies, you will also find by doing this that you are having to feed them less which means less money because there are no fillers in grain free food. I'm sure you will get alot of different answers on foods Smile

Back to top Go down
Skysdad
Newborn
Newborn
Skysdad

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Thx, I cook carrots as well and mix them with some potato starch to thicken them up. I mix that mixture with a little food and put it in some hollowed out bones he has for a special treat. I had used that as well to mix with his food for suppertime but, i will stop that. I have had him for a bout 2 months or so but he's lost 5 pounds just from eating, thats why i added it so he would eat something at least.
thx again for your feedback
B
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies & "picky eating"   Huskies & "picky eating" Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies & "picky eating"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1