It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need Some Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

Need Some Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Need Some Advice    Need Some Advice  EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in awhile but I need some advice on Durbin. Let me start with a little bit about what has happened with him. About a month ago he went missing we believe my ex roommate stolen him when she moved out he was gone for a whole month before we scared her into dropping him off at a shelter I cant prove it was her who took him but its pretty obvious she did. He was gone for a month and a day. Since getting him back he has lost 11 pounds.He is really skinny his hip bones poke out and you can feel his spine you cant really see his ribs tho. I have been trying to get him to eat but he's not really having it. What is some good food that will put weight on him? Or other things I can buy that will fatten him up? He has been to the vet and he has a clean bill of health he's just skinny. My next issue is he's now showing some dog aggression towards dogs that are either really hyper/crying when they meet or if the dogs are barking he gets mad at them and tries to bite them. If they are calm he's calm. What are some things I can do so he's not aggressive at all. My next problem is the car he use to be fine riding in cars now he whines every time I try to get him in the car I have to pick him up and physically put him in. When i pick him up to put him in the car he sometimes growls at me. Once he's in the car he goes both and forth crying and drooling and shaking the whole time! How can i get him to like the car again? Any help is appreciated! I think im going to take him back to group training as well. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Need Some Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice    Need Some Advice  EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Satin Balls http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html are a good way to put some weight on.

dunno the aggression but treats in the glovebox that he can smell and treats to get him in. Hang out in the car but don't go anywhere. You need to make it positive experience again.

Good luck and sorry to hear about his story
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

Need Some Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice    Need Some Advice  EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi,

So sorry to hear about his story, but glad that you got him back, there are some strange people in the world.

When Halli had her first litter of pups about 2 years ago she lost quite a bit of weight, she wasn't wanting to eat the kibble for first few weeks and was refusing each time we tried to give it to her, so we started making her food and put her on a raw/natural diet, from what i can remember, it was a combination of beef mince, turkey mince, kangaroo mince, vegetables finely chopped (not a large amount), chicken carcass chopped up and also chicken wings chopped up into chunks, we also used pearl barley and lentils that had been soaked till they were almost in a mushy state, eggs, a very small amount of garlic(helps with keeping fleas away), liquid fish oil (three omegas), you can also use organs and muscle meats such as liver, heart, kidney, etc.
We used to make it in big batches on the weekend and then put the rest in zip lock bags or containers and freeze it and then defrost it the day before to feed it to her. She put all her weight back on in a very reasonable amount of time and helped with her coat and all round look as well. We have put all our dogs back on a similar model now (for a few months now), and they love it, there is never anything left in their bowls, and we can control exactly what they are eating and make sure they are meeting all their nutritional requirements as well.
We have revised the recipe quite a bit since we first started because our 3's needs change and variety makes sure they don't get bored with it, as well doing extensive amounts of research. But if you decide to do a raw/natural kind of diet and need a hand with anything let me know, my partner and i have done a fair bit of research on it and have quite a few recipes that we are more than happy to share, i am glad to help where/if i can.

P.s sorry this is a bit long and all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need Some Advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice    Need Some Advice  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Some Advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1