It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky puppy help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puplove
Newborn
Newborn
puplove

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Everyone has been telling me my husky puppy is too small for her age. She is healthy in weight, she is just small and her paws are smaller than most huskies her age. She just turned four months old and she is 20 pounds. She is perfect to me, but is she normal size? Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

It's a common misconception that huskies should be bigger. They are only a medium sized breed. At four months and 20 lbs, if anything I'd say that's big for a husky girl! Females only get to about 45-55 lbs and she will be continuing to grow until she is 2+ years old. Without seeing pictures, I'd say she's just fine Smile

I need to sticky a thread that talks about this, lol.

ETA: Just saw your welcome thread. She looks totally fine to me.

Husky puppy help? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:19 pm

At 4 months old, I wouldn't worry at all. Puppies grow at different rates, and as long as she's healthy and eating, she's probably fine. I'm also going to toss this out, a lot of people who don't actually own Huskies (and aren't vets/techs) think Huskies should be HUGE. I want to say Ghost was in the 20-25lb range at 4 months old, and now she's out of breed standard for height and probably will be for weight once she fills out. She had tiny little dainty paws too Razz

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure she's fine Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky puppy help? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
puplove
Newborn
Newborn
puplove

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone! That makes me feel alot better. Some people were making me feel like there was something wrong with her and scaring me. Well I am glad some people know what they are talking about! lol I really appreciate it! And you guys have some beautiful pups. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 pm

My female husky is 15 months old and 27lbs and people try to tell me that she is only 6 months and I'm insane even though I've had her over a year. I think 20lbs is very normal for 4 months, though- I'm pretty sure my male was around 25 or so at 4 months.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:42 pm

I think she's normal, my girl Zoey was 30-35lbs at 4 months, but she grew really fast, and stopped growing around 6 months.
Back to top Go down
puplove
Newborn
Newborn
puplove

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. And yeah maybe she will have a little growth spurt lol I like her small though!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 2:14 pm

I had and still have this problem with my 4 yr. old Danzig. People never believe he is pure bred because of his small size. But, within the last six months he's really filled out. I would say not to worry about it! I think a lot of people get hukys confused with malamutes.
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm

I get this all the time as well, my guy is 28 pounds and almost 6 months and people give me all kinds of weird advice, he's either too small or he's gonna be huge when he grows up! lol He looks healthy, he's playful, eats and drinks like normal so I'm not too worried.

Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 pm

I don't worry much about wieght as long ad the dog is healthy. When I got mika she was lil over a year and only weight around 30 lbs, now that she is 45 lbs and at 1.5 years.

Always enjoy the dog, never worry about the little things like size/color
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 am

Someone told me Koda was tiny for a sine yesterday. Uh, he's 23.5 inches tall and 53lbs. He's pretty much at max standard...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 am

Heather! wrote:
Someone told me Koda was tiny for a sine yesterday. Uh, he's 23.5 inches tall and 53lbs. He's pretty much at max standard...

I get that all the time with Ghost. Who is now 23" and 45 lbs, and has yet to fill out... Husky puppy help? 1625187496

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky puppy help? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:34 am

It's so annoying. Also been told Koda is huge for a husky. You've seen Koda, he is pretty normal size. Just shuddap if you don't know what you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:39 am

Agreed Heather- my favorite is when people try to tell me facts about huskies.

1. I can't believe you have cats. You need to be so careful, they are going to get killed.
2. Those dogs are destructive and chew everything.

Both of which are not true in my case - mine love the cats, but they always have an escape. No matter what and are not left unsupervised. My dogs don't chew anything - the worst they do is shred paper. Otherwise, total couch potatoes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 am

Koda hates cats and his recall is only good after a few mile chase, but aside from that, he really has nothing people talk about with husky terrors. Ro has pretty much zero bad qualities.

I get tired of people saying huskies do x, x, and x and act like it's impossible for them not to do those things. Wrooooong.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 am

mheath0429 wrote:

1. I can't believe you have cats. You need to be so careful, they are going to get killed.

This is my life. It aggravates me, my dogs are very well behaved. I wouldn't have three of them if they weren't.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 am

Koda wrote:
Females only get to about 45-55 lbs

I'm assuming Tori was posting general max weight, however just to avoid any confusion, breed standard for adult females is 35-50 lbs. Wink

Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:35 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Agreed Heather- my favorite is when people try to tell me facts about huskies.

Both of which are not true in my case - mine love the cats, but they always have an escape. No matter what and are not left unsupervised. My dogs don't chew anything - the worst they do is shred paper. Otherwise, total couch potatoes.

This is pretty annoying. Everyone freaked out when I got my rabbit becasue they Danzig would kill it. First off, I'm smart enough to not have them both loose together and Danizg wouldn't hurt something that he knows belongs in our household.

I do have to say he has a problem with chewing things up, but that's why he is crate trained.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Yup sounds normal to me as well....

I've had people come up and tell me how little Tika is and ask what she is mixed with.

I've also had people tell me she is too skinny and Malnourished

Tika is 42 pounds of muscle. She can and does Pin Ripley (55lbs BTW).

I mean the day we picked up Ripley from Tori, I think we had at least 2 questions that day about how little Tika was, and that was in the span of maybe an hour.

In terms of listening to randoms... I've stopped arguing... Kelly and I were informed one day that we've taken on quite a risk considering how:

Aggressive Huskies are
They dislike Children and other dogs
They can't be trained
Have no Recall at all
And are unpredictable

I had to walk away from her and drag Kelly because I think she was going to kill the women.... Oh and while walking away I recalled Tika with one shout made her sit by me and then heel as we walked off unleashed into our hiking trails.

I then turned and waved a goodbye.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky puppy help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy help?   Husky puppy help? Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky puppy help?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1