It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 Empty
PostSubject: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Kerian has been waking up from a sound sleep in the middle of the night coughing. I did some research on different reasons for coughing Kennel cough came up as well as heart problems. Kerian has been treated for Kennel cough twice since we got her over 2 months ago.

I took her to the vet today and he thinks it is allergies possibly. But he also scheduled an chest X-ray for Friday morning to check out her heart and lungs. .

Have any of you had anything like this with your dogs??

Last edited by ljelgin on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Happened with Rogue for about 2 weeks a few days after we got her. Nothing was wrong according to the vet and she just stopped doing it one day.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Is it coughing or reverse sneezing? Sometimes our dog wakes up in the middle of he night with reverse sneezing fits. FREAKS ME OUT. But seems to be random/mild allergies caused so nothing to really worry about.

If it's allergies you can give them a benadryl to help.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:04 pm

NadirCs wrote:
Is it coughing or reverse sneezing? Sometimes our dog wakes up in the middle of he night with reverse sneezing fits. FREAKS ME OUT. But seems to be random/mild allergies caused so nothing to really worry about.

If it's allergies you can give them a benadryl to help.

I don't think it is reverse sneezing..

The vet suggest benadry before bed we are going to give her some tonight..

Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Update on Kerian's coughing in the middle of the night.

They did a chest X-ray this morning..

The Vet just called her heart is healthy. She does have a mild case of Asthma and he is putting her on some meds I am to keep a journal of the amount of the meds and her coughing during the night..
Back to top Go down
Calgary leah
Newborn
Newborn
Calgary leah

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 pm

hi we had a 4 year old Siberian Mix. He was also diagnosed with asthma.
He would could so hard that we would vomit.

our vet had him on prednisone (a steroid) we didn’t want to keep him on this, we thought it made him a little more aggressive and the drug prednisone makes them urinate a lot more often, we found out later he was peeing in the house.
Our vet eventually concocted a dog surgery mask and a child’s asthma tube with and inhaler on the other end. A ridiculous sight for people. We also did acupuncture, things I never thought I would do for a dog but they are much more than that, aren’t they! Accupuncute helped a bit as well

Unfortunately our pup developed pneumonia and would couldn’t save him. Doctors and vet techs were even doing chest compressions on him in the final attempts to save him. Extra efforts were made because he was so young.
So my recommendation to you is if you find a drug that works for your beautiful boy then stay on it. Even a mild case has potential to worsen. So I wish you luck and I hope Kerian is doing well!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Calgary leah
Thanks for the information the vet was going to put her on Prednisone but after giving her them for two dogs she started having diarrhea I took her off of it and call the vet. We have since determined the diarrhea was not due to the Prednisone she had eaten something that caused it in fact both of my dogs must have eaten the same thing.

So right now I will be keeping a journal of how often she wakes up coughing and other issues she may have. I want to look into some more natural herbs and the such to treat her. I will need to contact another vet in this area for information.

I really thank you again for you informtion and your experince on asthma in dogs. Which to my understanding doesn't happen very often.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Be careful with prednisone long term. I know.I sound loony, but look into a holistic vet. I k ow that http://www.heelusa.com/ has amazing homeopathic remedies. I used bleeding for catos neuter and allergy for Delilahs anaphylaxis after she was treated instead benadryl. It worked amazingly. Maybe try bronchitis for this issue as it deals with similar issues.

Its just an idea, as I wouldn't want your pup to keep suffering.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Megan,
I have not plans of putting Kerian on prednisone at this time she is not waking up coughing this week like she was last week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12   Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing??   Updated 8/17/12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kerian is waking up in the middle of the night coughing?? Updated 8/17/12

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-