It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Are martingale collars safe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Are martingale collars safe? Empty
PostSubject: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Today I received my martingale collar. I put it on saya and she has been doing wonderful on it no more pullig(at least not a much). My concern is that I notice that when shetries to pull the collar tightens and she comes back to me. I wonder does it choke her when she pull forward? Will it damage her trachea?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Martingale collars are designed so that they only cinch up to that point where you set it. Of course, if she pulls forward really hard, any collar, no matter how loose will put pressure on the neck in front.

I use martingale collars on my two...

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I have one for maggie, however she will pull even with that one! I feel like my arm is going to yank off. My parents use them on their 2 dogs! My mom got me mine because it stopped the pulling her dogs! I tend to stick with gentle leaders. My husband however is able to walk he without a gentle leader and just a regular collar and no pulling happens. I have never had an issue with them hurting any the dogs I have owned or been around!
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm

She walks fine with mine but I get worried when I see that she pull and I see it tightening. I have read about them they seem to be much much better than a prong or choke collar.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 pm

drzcoyotex3 wrote:
She walks fine with mine but I get worried when I see that she pull and I see it tightening. I have read about them they seem to be much much better than a prong or choke collar.
It won't cinch any tighter than you make it.

Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Is there any good instructional video that explains to me how to put on a husky? tutorial? I saw a few videos but most were on different breeds and were not too clear I did not know you can adjust how much it chokes
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Claudia if you ever have a chance would you mind making an instructional video on how to do it properly
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 pm

I have a prong and choking too! Haha she will pull through those too! I understand what your saying! I just never had anything go wrong. Though maybe Claudia would make a video? lol
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 pm

I don't really get what you mean either Claudia. You adjust where it goes around the neck to fit like a normal collar but I don't see how you can adjust how tightly it goes when it's pulled. A martingale is suppose to tighten up though, I use to always use one strictly because it prevented Koda from backing out. As Claudia also mentioned, any collar is going to apply pressure to their trachea if they pull and will cause gagging.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 pm

That's what I meant, Heather. The collar is adjusted to where it fits the neck snug but not tight - as any collar would be adjusted to fit. The part that cinches the collar cannot be adjusted. When they pull, it'll only cinch the collar as tight as you had adjusted the collar to fit the neck.

I'll see if I can do a video to show what I mean.

Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks so much everybody. I just got back from giving her her last walk of the night. She is not pulling what so ever She is actually heeling, and if she is not heeling she is a few steps ahead of me but NO PULLING!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am

This is just one of a few videos out there that shows how to fit a martingale collar. I adjust the collar on my 2 so that when they want to go after something (like a bunny, squirrel or cricket), the collar will never cinch up any tighter than you would fit a regular collar. (Unlike the video where the collar would be tight if the dog pulled.)

Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am

I see that video actually shows us how to put it on properly. Mine is also a little loose, even when she pulls she does not really choke herself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are martingale collars safe?   Are martingale collars safe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are martingale collars safe?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1