It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Coat color changing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

Coat color changing? Empty
PostSubject: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:32 pm

My male puppy looked solid black (where his coat was black) when we first got him, then he turned completely silver at like 10 weeks. Then around 16 weeks he was black again, but the only really solid black area is his head and his topline, the rest is black but it is like a smoky black, not quite silver... I was also wondering about the reds. My red was adopted as an adult and I had no baby pictures to look at:( So when they are younger do their coats tend to look darker? I want another red but I want a really light one, I've heard it referred to as 'siren' red, and my female is really dark. So if I was to get a red puppy what would be my best chances of getting a lighter one? Would I have to check her pedigrees maybe?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 pm

check out my scrapbook of Sierra and Jack! we have only had them all most a year and Jack is well we are calling him 2 in March and his coat has stayed the same dark brown since we have had him. Sierra on the other had has turned darker since we got her and she will be 7 in march so I'm not sure if it is really an age thing and maybe a season thing? her tail is still really light like when we got here so I'm hoping she will lighten back up in the summer? I'm not sure if color is such a safe bet, I think they will always change in some and not the others. I know allot with the B&W talk about them going from black to silver and back again.
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I just checked your scrapbooks out:) I LOVE Sierra's color! My husband and I didn't agree at first what color we wanted. He always wanted a silver, and I always wanted a black. Ecko was just a pretty dog that I wanted everything to work out with...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Husky coat colors change depending on the season. Koda gets darker in the summer and lighter in the winter. No coat is ever 100% (except maybe whites).

I'm not great on this subject, but what I do know is that the only way to tell color for sure is when they're newborns. They will come out the color that they will eventually be, I think. I wish I had more breeder/experienced people around here to back me up on that, but I think the color they are as newborns will be the closest to what they will look like as adults.

Coat color changing? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 2:57 pm

I have been trying to recruit some breeders to join the site... it would be nice...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm

My husky's coat has changed color with age and seasonally as well. He was a dark black and white when we adopted him and is now much much lighter with the only solid black remaining as a line down his back starting from his head down through his tail. Not only has his overall color changed but he changes seasonally as well, he gets darker during the summer and lighter during the winter just like Tori's Koda. This year, at 4 yrs old, he actually gained a lot of tan points in his coat that he's never had before so I am impressed to see how much is coat continues to change even at this age!

At 2 yrs old, 2007 summer coat:
Coat color changing? 4

2007 winter coat:
Coat color changing? 21

At 3 yrs old, 2008 summer coat:
Coat color changing? 45

2008 winter coat:
Coat color changing? 55

At 4 yrs old, 2009 summer coat:
Coat color changing? _DSC5041_filtered

Current winter coat:
Coat color changing? _DSC7577_filtered

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Now compare his coat when we first got him versus now and you might wonder if it's the same dog! Here's the first and last pic side by side for comparison...

Coat color changing? 4

Coat color changing? _DSC7577_filtered

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 pm

So crazy!

Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

Female Join date : 2010-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Huskyluv those are great photos! Love the beach shot
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Oh you ain't seen nothing yet! Val's husband is an AMAZING amateur photographer. I LOVE her photos Smile

Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

Female Join date : 2010-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 pm

is there more photos on here from her that I can look at? I love looking at everybodys dogs!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 pm

wow, that's just how Icon's coat is! He is only a year and a half though, but he did start developing the tan points a little while ago. It looks like yours has developed a snow nose too... the pink line of pigmentation on his nose? I guess that is called a snow nose...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks Tori! *blushes* lol

Ours had a solid black nose when we adopted him in 2007, a month later he had a snow nose and it hasn't changed back since! Currently it is in between a snow nose and solid black, like it wants to change but is stuck in between. lol

Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

Female Join date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 am

My puppy's coat is darkening as he gets older. I hope he stays a nice dark rich red. I looove that color!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

YUp Mira Changes Like The Weather She was Born a Light Sandy colored pup w a Reddish Head And Now SHe is More WOlf Gray ... And Blackish On Sides n top In Summer .Its Crazy I Swear Someone Switched My Pup Over Night Cuz She was Whitish !!~ LOL Coat color changing? Picnikcollage-1
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

If he is darkining then there is a good chance he will stay that way with a red and white, just from being on here the B&W's are the ones that change the most. My boy is a dark red and has stayed. That way the last 2yrs, my girl a med red gets lighter or darker based on the season.

Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

Female Join date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 12:22 pm

jb, yours are beautiful!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

jbealer wrote:
...my girl a med red gets lighter or darker based on the season.

My girl is just like Sierra. In fact, when I first met Sierra at our husky meet-up, I was so confused as to who was who just by looking at their body.

You can check out Ginger's scrapbook too. When we first got her in August 2010, she was very light. and now she's dark. I was told she'll get light again in the Summer.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 2:25 pm

I changed my avatar to a picture when we got Ginger in August 2010. Compare her coat color to the pictures in my signature which was taken in November 2010 for the picture on the left and January 2011 for the picture on the right.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:39 pm

embrys coat has changed quite a bit

at 8 weeks
Coat color changing? 61661_1420240238101_1595520224_31116837_3852340_n

at 4 months
Coat color changing? 29c1cvp

at 15 months
Coat color changing? 180369_1569304404612_1595520224_31386859_292357_n
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I LOve Him he is one of my favs <3 ~
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Drogo's metamorphosis so far!

9 weeks:
Coat color changing? Photo13

3.5 months:
Coat color changing? Test13
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Drogo is the freaking cutest thing EVER!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Wow, he really did darken up nicely! I agree with Heather, he is the cutest!

PostSubject: Re: Coat color changing?   Coat color changing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Coat color changing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next