It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is this a Husky or Malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Is this a Husky or Malamute? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:57 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.207642699363347.44089.100003528555798&type=1

I am looking into adopting this guy. No guarantees yet. I can't tell if it's a Siberian Husky or Malamute. I'm leaning more towards a Mal. I know Huskies come in all different fur types and lengths. Any input? I've always grown up with two dogs. They wear each other out! I also wanted to go bikejoring with my other half (we both love biking and there are tons of trails around here). Obviously I would wait 8 more months until Juneau can pull, but this guy is 2 years old. Neutered. Socialized. Heart-worm negative. House trained and crate trained (although I may have to "retrain" him since he'll be in a new area). What are your thoughts? Is it too early to give 4 month old Juneau a brother? Too big of an age gap? We are financially stable for him. Juneau just goes crazy at the dog park to play with the other dogs.

Also, do Malamutes enjoy pulling activities like Huskies do?

I've heard it on here and I'm going to repeat it - Huskies are like potato chips, you can't have just one! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 am

He look like a husky to me, maybe even Mix with something else, Not a Malamute for sure. From my research and Dog 101 malamute only comes in brown eyes. They can be mix some people say.

Yes malamute move pulling that's why they were breed for just like the husky. Malamute pull heavier and less distance compared to Husky. ( my personal view)

Back to the question, Juneau is a husky/ mix Very Happy

I love the middle picture "What you looking at?" LOL

Welcome by the way Smile
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:17 am

Looks like a wooly husky to me. He's beautiful! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:19 am

Thanks! Lol. Juneau is the husky in my sig. You think she's a mix? ;o Well, I did get her on craigslist. What makes you say that she's a mix? Just curious lol.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:23 am

Wooly husky! That's probably it. Poor guy had matted fur on his tail and back legs. Looks like it's growing back. Yes, I just love the little stripe he has going down his face. Pretty guy. Juneau may get jealous lol.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 am

Now I'm lost, you talking about the facebook link or the ava pic? Suspect

The face book link is a husky. Your ava pic is a husky too Laughing , I thought you was asking if the AVA is husky or mala.
Back to top Go down
chreiber
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:50 am

The dog you are considering getting is a wooly husky. They look a little different just because they aren't the standard. I would see how your current dog gets along with the one you are looking at before you commit to it. But if you are wanting to be active and do some Joring with your dog, then I would say getting another would be benficial. The age difference could be hard but then again the older dog might help your pup to work in the harness. I would say your puppy is a purebred husky as well as the wooly husky.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 am

+1 for woollies!!! He is a cutie. Purebred, just not part of standard.

While its unlikely he is mixed with mal it's possible. I doubt it. His eyes are the tell tale sign. He could still have mal in him. A purebred mal would not have blue eyes, a mix is capable.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Kizmat wrote:
Now I'm lost, you talking about the facebook link or the ava pic? Suspect

The face book link is a husky. Your ava pic is a husky too Laughing , I thought you was asking if the AVA is husky or mala.

I'm asking if the link was a husky, lol, his name is Sterling. I've just never seen a wooly in person, so I didn't know if he was a Husky or Mal!

My apologizes! I didn't mean to be confusing. Smile

chreiber wrote:
The dog you are considering getting is a wooly husky. They look a little different just because they aren't the standard. I would see how your current dog gets along with the one you are looking at before you commit to it. But if you are wanting to be active and do some Joring with your dog, then I would say getting another would be benficial. The age difference could be hard but then again the older dog might help your pup to work in the harness. I would say your puppy is a purebred husky as well as the wooly husky.

Thanks! From the album, it says Sterling (the wooly) has been at the dog park and gets along with others. I'm hoping he likes Juneau. I've been to the dog park too many times to count with Juneau. She loves everybody. I still keep her on the small dog side. After she recovers from her little cold, I'll take her to the big side. There are a few huskies over there. Unfortunately, one husky likes to hump the other dogs. She's not spayed yet (waiting til 6 months), so I just worry about that. lol.

mheath0429 wrote:
+1 for woollies!!! He is a cutie. Purebred, just not part of standard.

While its unlikely he is mixed with mal it's possible. I doubt it. His eyes are the tell tale sign. He could still have mal in him. A purebred mal would not have blue eyes, a mix is capable.

Yes he is! Ohh okay. Thank you!

I'll keep y'all updated. Haven't heard back from my e-mail yet.

Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 4:40 pm

He is gorgeous! You should go for it!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Juneau's mask is amazing! Good luck with adopting Sterling!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Wooly Husky! A well behaved older husky will train the puppy and make your life easier, so I vote for adoption! He's GORGEOUS! Just keep him brushed, I had to cut mats out of woolies when I volunteered for a husky rescue! I also brushed out a 5 gallon tub of hair from that husky! Smile
Back to top Go down
ZeldaRules
Newborn
Newborn
ZeldaRules

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 pm

I knew I recognized this guy...my good friend is fostering him. I have photographed a couple dogs for her rescue Smile good luck, he is so handsome!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 pm

I am going to say husky. To the eye color thing: Actually we were talking about the blue eye thing on malamutes in a mal group on fb. It can happen it is very very rare. Also malamutes can have golden eyes as well as brown.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 am

MGoBlue wrote:
He is gorgeous! You should go for it!

I'm trying! He is currently in review for another potential adopter. They're on their second meet and greet. Their housedog has to approve of Sterling. They will e-mail me on the results. I don't have high hopes, this is a very gorgeous Husky.

26nikita wrote:
Juneau's mask is amazing! Good luck with adopting Sterling!

Thanks! She does have a different mask, eh? Wink Thank you, I'll need it! lol

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Wooly Husky! A well behaved older husky will train the puppy and make your life easier, so I vote for adoption! He's GORGEOUS! Just keep him brushed, I had to cut mats out of woolies when I volunteered for a husky rescue! I also brushed out a 5 gallon tub of hair from that husky! Smile

Wow! lol. Yes, I figured the wooly coat was more high maintenance. It's definitely worth it though. Looks very soft! I want! Razz

ZeldaRules wrote:
I knew I recognized this guy...my good friend is fostering him. I have photographed a couple dogs for her rescue Smile good luck, he is so handsome!

What!!! Sooo weird! I seriously JUST got done looking at Texas Sled Dog Rescue's photos!! You're Jamie from the Paw Prints! I looked through Ranger's photos. It says he's available too. And so is Jagger, and Bonnie/Clyde. I can't decide. I seriously love Sterling though. I wish I could have them all. I'd be a nutcase though lol. I have e-mailed Kim about Sterling, she will keep me updated. That's so cool how we are all connected!

norbreedslove wrote:
I am going to say husky. To the eye color thing: Actually we were talking about the blue eye thing on malamutes in a mal group on fb. It can happen it is very very rare. Also malamutes can have golden eyes as well as brown.

I have seen the golden eyes, they're very pretty! Almost like an Amber color. Gorgeous. Smile

Received an e-mail saying that Sterling is having his second meet and greet with his potential adopters this weekend. If they don't approve, I'm next in line for his adoption! I'm very excited/nervous. I'll keep y'all updated when I hear back from the rescue.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a Husky or Malamute?   Is this a Husky or Malamute? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this a Husky or Malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1