It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jumping on couch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Hello all!
I was wondering if it's ok to let my husky be on the couch. I thought it might make him think he can do whatever he wants if I allow it lol but most times I think he does it to be with me.
He is going to be 3 months next week also.
Do any of you let your husky on the furniture (couch, bed, chairs etc) and have they been good?
If you don't allow them to, what do you do to prevent that behavior?

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:17 pm

I don't mind mine on furniture at all. Although, when I do let him come up, I usually put a big blanket or a towel to keep off as much fur as I can lol. He's usually pretty good about it too, he'll just lay there.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:20 pm

We are trying to teach him his is allowed up on furniture when he is called or told "OK". Otherwise he's not supposed to be up there. If he starts to try we say "No" and prevent him from jumping up.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 pm

My father designated a sofa for Thunder Its all his.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:22 pm

I let my husky on the couch, although I wish she didn't roughhouse on there. I'll let her lay down, but not run around and scratch it. She likes to dig, and it's a leather sofa lol. I've put a big blanket down to prevent that. It's getting better!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:32 pm

I let maggie on the couch but she isn't allowed on my bed. I just never allowed her up on the bed unless she was sick or injured. Couch I could careless. She doesn't hardly play up there she just lays down and goes to sleep! Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Mine are allowed on the couch cause they like to sleep on me when I'm watching tv but I do have the issue of them running and jumping on the couch when they play and that is tearing up my couch. I don't want to ban them completely but it is hard to correct them when they slam into the couch and jump back off so fast, so just keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I thought he would be ok, and I always see people letting ther huskies sit on the couch or with them and I think the huskies just want to sit with their people lol that's how it seems with Bruce. When I'm on the couch he'll roughhouse and bite at me, but once he's sitting with me on the couch, he'll just lay on my legs or next to me and he's gentle lol. I'll probably have to teach him when it's ok to be on the couch and when it's not.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 3:51 pm

I do allow mine on the couch, but I regret it so much! They bounce around from couch to couch like it's their fun house. When I'm not looking they try to eat it! I'm starting to not allow mine on the furniture anymore, because I want to get new couches and I know for sure I'm not wanting them on it, so we are in the process of teaching them not to get on it.

It's a real pain letting them on the furniture for me, because I have to vacuum them, the fabric smells like dog, and since Nicky is still house training she will have accidents and its just really disgusting to me to have my dog's on there. So, I'm putting a stop to it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm

We don't allow ours on the couch. It would make too much mess and it's hard enough to keep up with all the dog hair as it is! We do put a sheet over the couch at night because occasionally one of them sleeps on there after we've gone to bed. I think it's a personal choice; depends how tidy you like to be, what kind of couch you have, what you like your dogs to do or not do. Because we don't let them on the couch, we have to sit on the floor if we want to snuggle with them. If we let both dogs on the couch there wouldn't be any room left for us!

It's much easier to make a rule and stick to it from when you first get the dog than to try and change it later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Mine get on the sofa it's better than the alternative....

if they think it's theirs they won't eat it.

EDIT: The proof:
Jumping on couch IMG_20120824_083457
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Both my dogs are allowed on the couch. They don't generally rough house on it unless the hubby starts it first. We have the biggest POS couch so I don't really care. Plus, Danzig mostly likes to be on the floor where it's cool.

They are allowed on the bed too but don't sleep with us. We only let them on there when we're watching tv in bed or Danzig comes and lays with me at night while I read until Dustin comes to bed.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Saber has his own chair he likes to sleep in. He hardly ever went on the couch or my bed as he always got too hot. But he can spend hours in "his" chair! Very Happy

Jumping on couch 100b0611
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:25 pm

They are very smart. If you consistently forbid him from getting on a piece of furniture, he will quickly learn that it is off limits. Ours is allowed on the beds but not the couches and chairs.
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:38 pm

It is definitely a personal decision...some people allow it; others do not. If you are going to allow it at 2 - 3 months, be prepared to have your husky want to be on your furniture when he is full grown.

Some people allow it when they are puppies but then don't want them on furniture when they are full grown. Definitely best to decide now and be consistent.

Mack725 wrote:
Hello all!
I was wondering if it's ok to let my husky be on the couch. I thought it might make him think he can do whatever he wants if I allow it lol but most times I think he does it to be with me.
He is going to be 3 months next week also.
Do any of you let your husky on the furniture (couch, bed, chairs etc) and have they been good?
If you don't allow them to, what do you do to prevent that behavior?

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 pm

That is true about starting now. I did let him on the couch to see how he would do and he just layed down and jumped off after a few mins. Now he prefers his blanket on the floor lol
I guess the thrill is gone for sitting on the couch for him now haha
I forge how much he's going to shed since he's still little right now.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I have dog allergies, so no getting up on the couch or bed. We are consistent and put aluminum foil on the sofa their first few nights so 1. we can hear them if they try 2. dogs hate the sound and feel of it and get off fast ( a great deterrent). When I want to snuggle, I get down on the floor with them. We've let them up on the patio furniture outside but they got off quick...it's either too hot or they think we're tricking them and feel uncomfortable going "against the rules". Smile
Back to top Go down
Mack725
Newborn
Newborn
Mack725

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I've never thought of aluminum foil. Might have to try that if he keeps jumping up.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:38 pm

I allow Nikko on the couch, but mine is leather so I don’t have to worry about dog hair, just his nails when he jumps up. Yukon is too little to get on the couch though, but once he’s bigger I might have to adjust that, because I don’t want them both playing/fighting on it.

Nikko does fine on the couch, all he wants to do is get up there to lay down like he’s watching TV.

I know people that let them on their furniture only when invited. Personally, I don’t want to confuse him so I would either have a no pet on furniture policy or just let them. I think it would be confusing for them to know when they can and cannot be on there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jumping on couch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping on couch   Jumping on couch Empty

Back to top Go down

Jumping on couch

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1