It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Average price for spaying

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Average price for spaying - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:17 am

$346 with extra monitoring (because of her heart) and pain pills - included an overnight stay.

Other vets wanted 330-400+ and that was without all of the extra stuff.
Low cost spay/neuter would have been $185 but..yeah. It's great if you have extraordinarily healthy dog.

Average price for spaying - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 am

I didn't do any blood work on any of my dogs when they were fixed.

I got Zoey done for $250, that was one night at the vets and meds afterwards.

My friend got her husky fixed at a low cost clinic last week, it was $80 and she's fine. No complications and her opening was way smaller then Zoey's was scratch
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 7:53 am

It usually cost more to Spay then neuter, In Nyc to spay can run you 650 if you go to a vet(Cheaper if you do it at the SPCA then its about 150). I know it goes by weight and size because they have to use more anesthetic. If money is a issue I would try to find out if your local SPCA will doe the low cost one.
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 am

They charged me 15 dollars for spaying Saya since I have medicaid. Without it is 100 dollars at the local humane society.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

I have never had a blood panel done for any of my dogs or guinea pigs prior to a spay or neuter. For each of my chi girls at a vet in FL, it was $500 (per dog) for the spay, anesthesia, and pain meds (no extras).

For my sibe's neuter in WA, it was $95 for his neuter, anesthesia, and pain meds (no extras).

For my male guinea pigs neuter in FL, it was $170 for his neuter, anesthesia, and pain meds (no extras). Go figure, it cost $75 dollars more to neuter a 2 lb guinea pig than a 45 lb husky.

Edited to add: None of my pets has ever stayed overnight after any procedure, they all came home the same day.

Last edited by Huskyluv on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 am

In NY at a smaller clinic, my girl's spay was $390 with the chip ($54) and an overnights stay ($24). She weighed in at 26 lbs so I know the anesthesia was like $130 for her weight and because shes under 10 months the surgery itself was like $120. I was sent home with a pain killer and antibiotic too so that's all included in there. Then there's the price of fluids and such. I know she was hooked up to an EKG but my office doesn't charge for that.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 am

When I was getting Nikko neutered I called around to many different vets and found a wide range in prices, so it depends on a lot of different things, such as the vet, location and weight. My vet charges $169 for neuter and $229 for spay. That included the anesthesia, overnight stay if needed. Some area vets were charging over $300 for a neuter and would not do it until the dog was 10-12 months old. My vet would do it at 4 months.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Saphire's spay with everything but the microchip (she was microchiped by her breader) and overnight stay was $250.00. I honestly didn't call around to ask. I love and trust my vet and they treat all my animals wonderfully so I just knew that is where we were having the spay done.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:10 pm

I didn't shop around because I really never had the chance! Callie went in for Bordetella and the next thing I knew, they were scheduling her bloodwork for spay!
I just went with it because of not knowing where she came from. The bloodwork was good to get a base line and she was going to have to be spayed either way. My main concern was the mange. I didn't want to take any chances of her being able to pass that on with an unplanned pregnancy. Not that I'd leave her unattended in heat but there's always the scenario that is very possible but everyone says "that won't happen to me!"
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 am

OK just got Neeka back from Spay

Spay was $125
Laser #3 $26
Anesthes $46.72
Pain management pills $8.20
Roughly $206

I also had the following done
DAPPLCI Vax: $19.60
Home again Chip $64.88
Rabies 1 year $22
2 doses of Trifexis $40.28

Total bill after tax was $352.68
She did have an overnight stay
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:02 am

Wow, I am getting Thunder neutered and that coast 325 just for that..I am looking at about $500 because he is missing some shots(The lady lied a bit when I got him) and I will be getting him micro chipped.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Just dropped Juneau off for her spay.
$65 for spay (41-60 pounds) She's 41 pounds. Go figure lol.
$30 for microchip.
$50 for bloodwork (I wanted to make sure everything is healthy).
I'll be picking her up in about 6 hours. I think that's an alright price. I accidentally left her collar on. -.- I hope they don't cut it off or something lol I just bought it. Sad
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm

that sounds about right and very reasonable. I'm assuming the $65 includes the antisthesia (sp?) and good on you for microchipping her. They shouldn't cut off the collar unless it's super complicated to get off, and then really i think they'd call you to ask how, they normally want you to remove the collar so they don't have to look after "personal belongings" at least that's how they come across to me.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 6:46 pm

I plan on getting Karli spayed, and I've talked to my vet, but since she's not old enough yet I haven't asked about price yet. They also suggested getting her microchipped at that time because the needle is so big. I would prefer that she come home with me that night though because I know when I'm sick and don't feel good I want my hubby to take care of me, not someone I don't know and I'd just feel better being able to be with her all night (if I can't take her home I may end up sleeping at the vet with her, I do clinicals with them for school so I don't see why they would object to that.)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 7:09 pm

i wish mine cost 65 - Cato's neuter cost over a hundred. But, I get the works with Delilah on everything - she is just plagued with issues, I don't take chances with her.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Niraya wrote:

Low cost spay/neuter would have been $185 but..yeah. It's great if you have extraordinarily healthy dog.

I don't understand this.

None of my dogs have been altered at traditional veterinary practice. Either animal control prior to adoption, or a low cost clinic. These aren't just people playing with scalpels and following a picture chart... These are practiced veterinarians who are doing these procedures. They have thousands and thousands of these procedures under their belts. I find it kind of silly to wave it away and say only dogs with out of the ordinary health could handle a procedure done by a "low cost" clinic.

With anesthesia sensitive dogs or those with breathing/heart complications or toy breeds I can see the concern and the want to use a vet in his or her own practice with the works... But for everyone else it's a perfectly acceptable option which I would choose time and time again.

Sorry, that just bugged me.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:05 am

We took Anna to Banfield and that is our vet. We pay 33.95 for the first year for her to be spayed, get all her puppy shots and dewormers, every vet visit, and a discount on everything we need vet wise like her trifexis, shampoo for her mites, and testing for her bladder crystals. I think we did good but that's just me.

Kristina if I knew more about it I would have gotten Anna altered at a low cost clinic. I also don't think there is anything wrong with them...
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 am

I'm not a fan of low cost clinics due to the fact that I've been in many and don't like their recovery practices. The surgeries are fine and the Vets are great, but with recovery?... NEVER leave a patient alone during recovery, anything can happen. And with low cost ones, the techs don't normally stay with the patient, they do "walk-bys" to take out endotracheal tubes. There were a few that had patients on the cold floor to recover. Not something I would want for my dogs or cats. Not all of them are like that, but a lot are. Just something to look into if anyone is interested in doing the clinic spays/neuters.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:18 am

Also forgot to add Anna was already microchipped so I didn't need it done.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 am

I'm not agains't low cost neuters, but I am worrisome when it comes to spay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 10:51 pm

I paid $500 for my female Lab to be spayed (she is 55 lbs, a petite one lol) that included blood panel, iv hydration, pain meds, and at home pain meds, plus overnight stay and microchipping.

For Balons neuter it was close to 400 which included all of the above except microchipping and he was not kept overnight, he came already microchipped by his breeder.

I was very satisfied with everything but I did think the price was high, until I decided to call around and found that it only varied by about $50 and that wasn't worth me trying a new vet for surgery!

Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 2:25 am

I took Lycus to a low cost neuter as well. Although, I did ask to check out everything to make sure it seemed fine, and it really was! At least at my place anyways. They had very clean kennels for all the dogs, and separate ones for the cats as well. I met with the vet that would do the surgery and he seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. I actually did all this way before getting Lycus. I have 3 female cats that I got spayed there and it went fantastic! They were all beautifully healed in less than 3 days!! So I didn't hesitate taking Lycus as well. I only payed $60 for his whole surgery which included: The actual surgery, microchipping, the cone, pain meds while there, pain meds at home, and an overnight stay. I was really happy how everything turned out, and Lycus turned out great himself. It really depends on the places you go.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am

Rocio_Caballero wrote:
I took Lycus to a low cost neuter as well. Although, I did ask to check out everything to make sure it seemed fine, and it really was! At least at my place anyways. They had very clean kennels for all the dogs, and separate ones for the cats as well. I met with the vet that would do the surgery and he seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. I actually did all this way before getting Lycus. I have 3 female cats that I got spayed there and it went fantastic! They were all beautifully healed in less than 3 days!! So I didn't hesitate taking Lycus as well. I only payed $60 for his whole surgery which included: The actual surgery, microchipping, the cone, pain meds while there, pain meds at home, and an overnight stay. I was really happy how everything turned out, and Lycus turned out great himself. It really depends on the places you go.

Wow, you got a steal. Mine was $155 for spay, chip, cone, pain meds and blood panel. I had a friend who had her pup spayed at the place I went. She healed great so I knew I was in good hands too.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 2:32 am

Rocio_Caballero wrote:

I agree. I am sure there are some private vets that are not the best places to take your dog or cat for spays and neuters. When it comes to surgeries in general I think it just requires ALOT of research. Hopefully no one just jumps right in.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 pm

So I just got Selena's estimate for her spay and it was $450! I was kind of shocked but at the same time that includes everythinggggg, pre-screening blood work, medication, overnight stay...Her vet is a 24 hour vet which makes me comfortable with her staying over night but I was thinking, ok maybe the price is high because of that? I would really hate to go somewhere else, I have been going here for the past 7 years even with my chihuahuas heart problems (its not only 24 hours but specialists are there too) so I very much love the place! So my question is...would you guys just pay the $450 for everything and have it done where you are comfortable or is that price really crazy and should I look somewhere else?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Average price for spaying   Average price for spaying - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Average price for spaying

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next