It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Infernal Giardia grr

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

Infernal Giardia grr Empty
PostSubject: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Ok so we got Dakota when he was 8 weeks old. He had very loose stools from the start. and we made a vet appt. for him but it was a couple weeks out. When we got him we asked for a bag of the food he had been eating so we could avoid tummy trouble. Well at first we assumed the loose stools were b/c they just sold us the most expensive food and not what they had really been feeding him. after 4 days the loose stools had not gone away so we thought perhaps there is something in the food that doesn't agree with him so we switched him to Blue Buffalo Basics turkey and potato puppy food. It's intended for sensitive tummies. after a week on that he was still having the loose stools. We took him to the vet and they did a stool sample and gave him a deworming liquid.
a week later he still had loose stools so we did another sample and this time they checked for Giardia oh joy that's what he has so we do 7 days of metro and then for 1 day after he finished he had solid poop then he went right back to the liquid poo. no now he's on panacur for 5 days. I hope this works, I am so sick of cleaning up loose stools and it's nearly impossible to pooper scoop. We've bleached the spots he's pooped in and have been diligent in the clean up to prevent reinfection. he's had 2 doses of the new meds and i am seeing solid poop so i have hopes.

My question is have any of you guys dealt with Giardia and how many rounds of dewormer did it take to get rid of it?
sorry for the book lol
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:08 pm

When I got Evie at 8 weeks we went through the same as you. Ended up being that she was loaded with giardia, coccidia, and worms. At 9 weeks she ended up at the emergency vet and we almost lost her because she was so dehydrated. As soon as anything went in, it was coming right back out. We went through 1 round of Albon, 2 rounds of Metro, 3 rounds of Panacur, and finally a round of Drontal. It was awful and felt like she'd never be rid of all these critters. I feel for you! Be persistent tho in getting him rechecked and make sure they test for coccidia too b/c it often goes hand in hand. We had a party when she finally had solid poop. Hang in there, it will get better!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:43 pm

I think it was 2 rounds. It took only like a week or 2 to clear up!
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 am

all day we've had solid poop woot I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it holds. i feel so bad for him I'm sure his tushy must be sore i know mine would be haha
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:13 pm

day 3 on the new meds and we still have mostly solid poop. I never thought i would be excited to see my dog poop lol but solid poop is so easy to pick up lol i want to use some to put in the few holes he keeps digging but i don't want to risk reinfection. How long after he finishes the meds should the poop be safe to use?
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:33 pm

My guy had giardia it took 2-3 weeks to clear up. Although we've been retesting him because he still has infernal loose stools but tested negative for giardia and other parasites! I understand your pain and also your joy at seeing solid poops.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:39 pm

So no poop test for Sierra but we think she just picked up Giardia and we are treating with i think the Metro, 1.5 pills every 12hrs for 10 days, today i saw a mushy form of poo at least it was not liquid, she had me up every hr for 2 nights in a row. she is on heartguard pulse so i don't think she has any worms... i hope we can get up pups cleared up fast!

Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 pm

and we're back to diarrhea Infernal Giardia grr 1625187496 I'm hoping it might just have been the dehydrated chicken patty he got as a snack but i know I'm just kidding myself . One more day of meds and he has a vet appt on Thursday . Infernal Giardia grr 85993
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 am

Sad I hope Sierra and Dakota get straightened out soon!
Back to top Go down
ArkansMom
Newborn
Newborn
ArkansMom

Female Join date : 2011-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Ah, giardia. A constant presence in my life Smile I manage a shelter with 100-115 rescue dogs and at any given time i would say at least 25% of them have it (VERY difficult to control in a situation where theres a constantly fluid population). We treat with both Metro and Panacure, though in my experience the Panacure has been more effective (also safer-Metro is a pretty rough drug). It does sometimes take a round or three of it for things to totally clear up. Arkan will occasionally come down with it (he comes to work with me and is exposed to everything under the sun), so now hes on a consistant panacure schedual, which seems to be doing the trick. Hang in there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Infernal Giardia grr   Infernal Giardia grr Empty

Back to top Go down

Infernal Giardia grr

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1