It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy with the runs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewHuskyMan132
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

Puppy with the runs Empty
PostSubject: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 pm

First off, I want to apologize, because I might have to go into a little bit of detail about my dogs bathroom problems.
This morning, Royce had a normal poop. He seemed happy and energetic, like he always is. I fell asleep around 7:30 am and left him out, which is a habit we're trying to put him in and I woke up around 11:30ish. There were no accidents or anything, which I'm thrilled about, because he had gone 3 days without an accident in the house.
When I took him out around 3:00 pm today, he peed, then a few seconds later, had very explosive, liquidy diarrhea. He was still his normal self, so he didn't seem sick, then he stood by the door, wanting to go outside, about an hour after he went. I ignored him, since we were told by our vet, that the only way his bladder will grow, is if we don't let him out every hour. After 5 minutes of waiting by the door, he went in the house, and it was still explosive and liquidy. After his second go-around, we would immediately take him out when he walked to the door. He has gone about 6 times today and I'm concerned, because since we are putting him in his kennel soon for his (and our) bed time, he will wake up and immediately go in his kennel, which he has never done before. He is 4 months old, so he is still in his training phase, and I am worried that his kennel will be a complete mess, when he wakes up around 3 am, like he normally does. He always goes back to sleep when I put him back in his kennel, but not to sound selfish, but my wife and I like our sleep as well!
If he continues to have diarrhea tomorrow, we are thinking about calling our vet. Is that a good idea? We haven't changed his diet or haven't done anything differently, so it's just a concern we have, since this is his first diarrhea illness he's gone through.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 am

Your vet told you to not let him out over hour so his bladder could grow? I have never heard of this. When either of my dogs waits by the door I let them out. Yes, sometimes they just want outside to play, but I will still let them out.

Did he have any different treats or anything? Maybe he got a hold of something he shouldn’t have? What you could do is take him off his food for a bit (12 hours or so), and give him a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken. Canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) works wonders as well. So does cottage cheese or plain low-fat yogurt. Make sure he has plenty of water since it will dehydrate him. If he is acting normal, and it gets better within a few days then you should be fine. If he begins to be lethargic or if it lasts more than a few days then you should go to the vet.

I remember one time I gave Nikko one of those frosty paws frozen ice cream for dogs, and about 2 hours later it was explosive and was all over the place.

Also, he is going to have to go potty much more often until is gets better, and if you feed him rice he will pee more often too, since it has a high water content.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Not let him out when he has to go, so his bladder will grow? What a load of crock lol at least he sat by the door to let you know he had to go poo. Fast him for 24 hours to make sure everything has gone through his system Bland diet and plenty of fluids for a few days. If he still has the runs after that then I'd take him in.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SuzieV
Newborn
Newborn
SuzieV

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 5:38 pm

I feel your pain. Our puppy had this for about three weeks. Sometimes it was like pure liquid! We had our vet test about three different samples of his poo and every time they told us that there was nothing wrong. We changed everything to natural because we thought he may have a sensitive tummy, food treats, everything! He would have to go so often we felt bad for the little guy. Whatever it was it worked itself out and now we don't understand how he can poop so BIG for such a little guy!!

I'd have your vet test it to make sure there is nothing wrong. If they say not then maybe wait it out a little.

And by the way, I have NEVER heard of the whole making him wait to go potty thing. It's a good thing he went to the backdoor when he had to go out!! I wish my older dogs would do that, they just start barking at me! At least the puppy is getting the idea to go to the back door now if he wants to go out!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Female Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 5:54 am

Id agree with everything on here as I have struggled with the same thing in the past but it seems to have settled now. I would recommend a 24 hour fast and then a week of boiled rice and chicken. A lot of people on here recommend canned pumpkin (not pie filling) but I cant get hold of in the UK! Then ween slowly back onto the food that has previously agreed with the pup. I also found that swapping treats with carrots and boiling carrots in her food helped for fiber purposes!

make sure the puppy has plenty of water as the runs can cause dehydration.

If it persists and u are worried have your vet look at a stool sample. My vet was not concerned at all as my puppy was healthy, up to weight, not hydrated and not lethargic in any way.

I now have mine on sensitive puppy food and avoid any rich meats, she can only handle dry salmon or chicken food and not duck or lamb. It can be a bit of a trial and error finding suitable food.

I would also disagree to an extent about the bladder thing. A puppy waiting by the door sounds like a good puppy to me. Your lucky really with the runs that royce knows hes needs a poop!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 pm

never in my 40 plus years of dog ownership have I ever heard a vet tell you to make the dog wait so the bladder will grow???? This would make me seek out a new vet for sure.

If mine go to the door, out they go! Period. I hope he gets better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with the runs   Puppy with the runs Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy with the runs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1