It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Puppies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BryanKoh
Newborn
Newborn

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:22 am

Im receiving a 13 weeks old puppy. I was wondering if somebody could tell me some important things about them, what to do or what not to do. I've done lots of researching about them so i have a rough idea. Some things on my mind are, what do i feed them, how much should i feed them, do i get a water bowl and fill it 24/7. I've researched mainly on how to train them. One other thing, is it safe to train your dog from young to walk leash free? Also i wish to train my dog to be crate free because i want to sleep together with him. Is that advisable because im afraid that he might pee during the middle of the night hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
BryanKoh
Newborn
Newborn

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 am

oh nevermind about the crate and leash. i just read the post a bout them haha
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 am

Yeah, I was going to say that huskies cannot be trusted off leash, ever! I know some people may disagree but I would never let my dogs off their leashes unless they are in a dog park with at least a 6 foot fence.

I would also suggest crate training at least until they are several months old. Nikko is 10 months and is in the crate when I am not home, but at night he is in bed with me or he will sleep on the floor. I trust him enough to let him out of his crate at night, but not when I am gone. I have also recently allowed the 3 month old puppy to sleep in my bed as well and he has been doing good with that.

For food, I would suggest looking at dogfoodadvisor.com to check out ratings. Ask 100 people and you will get 100 different answers. You have to figure out what works for you, your dog and your budget. I feed my 3 month old Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula, and I give him ½ cup 3 times a day. Nikko is still on Wellness puppy food and I give him 1 cup twice a day. They both do well on those, but every dog is different.

As far as water, they get full access to water when I am home. They do NOT have any water in their crates though. I would rather not clean up pee every day. I do take the water away about 2 hours before bedtime, except I let my older one have some water if we go on a late walk because he can hold his bladder better.

Consistency is key, they are creatures of habit, so you have to have them on a regular schedule, especially during potty and obedience training.

Welcome to the forum! Don’t forget the pics when you get him!
Back to top Go down
BryanKoh
Newborn
Newborn

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 am

ive read that website already. which do i feed raw, dried or wet food to a puppy. which is more preferable?
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 pm

I agree with everything Jason's said.

Once you know your pup can hold it through the night, you shouldn't have any problem with letting him sleep in bed with you. Callie has had that privilege for a month now with no issues. I would still advise a crate for when you're not around. Bored dogs can get into a lot and that's dangerous to his health. So for his safety, put him in the crate. If you're feeling bad, try stuffing a Kong with goodies and giving it to him in the crate. Avoid the salty treats since you're not going to want water in the crate. Stuffing it with plain yogurt or applesauce and freezing it should work nicely.

Quote :
ive read that website already. which do i feed raw, dried or wet food to a puppy. which is more preferable?
This is something you have to decide for yourself. If you're going to feed raw, there's a lot of research you have to commit to so you can make sure you're giving your dog what he needs. Personally, I've never fed a dog a full diet of wet food. I've done kibble my whole life and name brand is your choice. If you're considering raw, there's a lot of info on this site to help you learn about it.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm

I don’t think any of those options are any more or less preferred. There are pros and cons with each of them, but they all will provide your puppy with the nutrients they need. It’s whatever works for your schedule, and as long as it agrees with your puppy’s stomach then it doesn’t matter which route you go.

I feed dry food because it’s convenient, cheaper and does not stink. I have heard wet dog food can give dogs soft stools, but I don’t know from experience. I also do not have the time to be able to go with the raw diet.
Back to top Go down
BryanKoh
Newborn
Newborn

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:32 pm

oh okay. ill start with dry food products first. Thanks for the advice !
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Crate training is extremely important at a young age; they need to learn the appropriate place to go potty. Sleeping together in bed at night will come later. I didn't let Kale sleep in my room till he was 5 months and I trusted him not to go potty or destroy something while I slept.

Huskies are NOT off leash dogs. They are far too independent to be trusted off leash.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Another to think about if canned food is a way you want to go, its mainly water. A dog food rep said over 70% but i think thats a little high. I like dry kibble. I am considering raw at dinner time when I can watch them enjoy it, but in the mornings i will still do kibble for the time issue and simplicty of it.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 am

I cannot say much about letting your puppy sleep with you since Kota has been sleeping with me since the first day I brought her home, at 8 weeks. Our breeder had not really pushed the potty training or crate training when I got her, so I started with a fresh slate.

Though I had ever intention of her sleeping in her crate at night, her crying and screaming broke my heart so bad that I just couldn't so I broke down and let her in my bed. She was to small and scared to jump off and it was like she knew not to potty in the bed so she woke me up every couple of hours to go outside. I think I was extremely lucky though, since I don't know many that have had that same luck. She, of course, is crate when we are gone even now that she is about 9 months old because she gets into everything. You've probably read/hears "A bored Husky is a destructive Husky" and for me that is the absolute truth.

As for feeding, I have been feeding Kota Nature Valleys Instinct, which is considered a "5 start" dog food on dogfoodadvisor.com but it is a bit pricey. I actually just this past week started trying to feed her raw but it just hasn't worked out well even though I haven't given it much time, I think her grain-free kibble is just as good for her. Do A LOT of research about raw feedings if your going to go that route because it is hard at first, or at least was for me.

CONGRATS on getting your new baby though, and welcome to life of a Husky owner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Puppies   New Puppies Empty

Back to top Go down

New Puppies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1