It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Serious walking issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

Serious walking issue Empty
PostSubject: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm

I've been taking Ezio on regular walks since we adopted him and I felt like we made a lot of progress over the last few months. Even after the roadtrip from IL to our new home in CA he was walking loose leash a lot of the time and when he pulled I corrected him by getting him to sit next to me (using the commands "relax" and "sit") until he calmed down. That was all it took. The last 3 walks have been totally different, though, and I just don't understand it. Crying or Very sad All of a sudden he's pulling constantly. HARD. He's 7 months old now, about 50 pounds, and it literally hurts when he attempts to drag me. My husband was holding the leash today on our walk and the entire time Ezio tried to drag him (my husband is 6'2'' and over 200 pounds). I mean, what happened? He was doing so well and I was so proud. If this behavior continues I won't be able to walk him at all.

When he was little we tried a harness, but that seemed to make him want to pull even more. Since then we've used a collar (made of some kind of fabric) and up until now he was great. He also rarely chewed up anything that wasn't his and we were able to let him run free from his kennel while we went to the store, but yesterday he completely destroyed my husband's sandals and kept trying to chew on his running shoes even after we corrected him several times. Is this the "terrible twos" of husky puppies or something? We've been consistent in all the training we've been doing. It's like he's almost a different dog. He's not neutered yet, but I'm going to be making that appointment this week. Does that have anything to do with this? I'm at a loss and really discouraged. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 7:36 pm

You have entered the rebellious puppy stages! Lol, I think they all go through this. Lycus is now 10 months and he's still going through it a bit although not as much as when he first started. He also started at 7 months with the pulling and tearing everything apart and not wanting to listen. I say keep staying consistent with the training and maybe find some kind of method to help make walking easier. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 pm

He's growing up. He's a teenager and he wants to do things his way. He's testing boundaries big time.

We havnt hit it yet, but I know it's just around the corner for us... I'm not looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm

They are right on this sadly, just takes time. I have never had a dog younger than 14 months, mika was pretty easy going husky, she is a rarity of the huskies. She minded very well when I got her and she walks on a leash great. Best of luck to ya and I hope it passes quickly for you
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 am

Freya walked really great for a few months, now she pulls quite a bit, to the point that my shoulder really aches for a couple days.
I just got a new no-pull harness for her and I'm going to see if that makes a difference. THere are things out there that can make your life easier, it's just a matter of finding the right one for you and your dog.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 3:42 pm

They can sort of lure you into a false sense of security that way can't they? Razz

My guess is that because he was walking so well on a leash for a time, that the structuring of the walk started to break down a little bit. This is completely normal. As you start to trust your pup's actions more and more, things that you normally would have firmly corrected sort of start to fade, and he is allowed more and more freedom on the walks, until one day, he thinks he is walking you guys. Remember that Huskies were bred for pulling, and the latent instinct will always be there. It takes a certain firmness and consistency to curb that desire to run and pull.

The simplest answer is to re-insert that structure, and be more firm and consistent than ever before. Everyone above is right. As he enters his adolescence, just like a child he will test you, find your limits, and capitalize on them. This is actually one of the most important times for you as the owners to assert your SENIORITY (all caps, because the other word i could use here is "dominance", but some people kind of get irked at that word's usage sometimes). It might be less pleasant at first, because it takes more time to go a shorter distance, and don't we all want to just wander aimlessly around town with our canine companions at our side? Wink

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/nopulling.html

^^ That is the only training guide for walking I have ever used, and Keeonah and I (in the video below) have found great success. I will continue to advocate it until she turns into a monster herself:P (here's to hoping I missed it though! we broke the one year barrier)

i HIGHLY advocate finding a way to tether the leash to your waist. Having both hands free is very convenient. Also, the force of your pup's pulling is more easily centered, and contained, because you can use your legs and waist for leverage, versus having him pull your arm out it's socket. All i did was securely tie the leash to a really thick belt. I just clasp the belt around my waist and we are good to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1A0gl6waew

Consistency and proper communication is always the key with this breed. I'm sure you guys will figure it out in no time Smile
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for all the info! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serious walking issue   Serious walking issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Serious walking issue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1