It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Tie out suggestions and help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
customcat2000
Newborn
Newborn

Tie out suggestions and help! Empty
PostSubject: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:17 pm

I have an eight month old male named Yuri.. his energy and strength never fail to amaze me. He is in a kennel (10 x 10 chain link outside) during the day while I am at work and when I get home and open the door , he started bolting out and just keeps running! So every day, I am going down the road to chase him back home. It's scary and frustrating.

I have thought about putting him on a tie out for a few hours to get him more time outside his kennel, hoping that will help a little with his rebellion. I am honestly open to ANY suggestion. He's not able to stay indoors and I dont have a fenced in yard to just let him run free.

Which type collar and tie out should I look for, should I use a harness or regular collar? Help!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I can't say for your dog, but I tried putting Nikko on a tie out at my friends house. they live in the country on 2 acres with no fence, and I can't be attached to him every minute, and his parents don't allow animals inside.

He HATED it! He whines the entire time he is out there and digs huge holes everywhere. I only tied him out a few times, but he is only content if he is on a leash near me. So needless to say I don't visit there very often anymore.

I used a stake that went about 2 feet in the ground and used a cable to attach to his collar. It worked great as far as keeping him secure, if only he did not go nuts when he was left alone.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Do you walk him at all? first you need to do some training with him on exiting his kennel. he should NOT be bolting down the road from you! work with having him sit inside the kennel when you go to enter, don't go in till he is sitting. you may have to work on this with 2 people, one inside showing him to sit and one trying to come in, many treats will be used. second are you leashing him to walk him back in the house or holding his collar?
as for tie outs i don't trust them unless you plan to stay out side with him the whole time, NEVER connect a chain/rope to a tie out and his collar, attache it to a harness so he does not choke himself or try and break his neck.
to me it sounds like you need to walk him more or look into some dog parks to let him run around.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 10:10 pm

At my old house I had a kennel that I kept my first dog in while I worked but I made sure to walk him before AND after putting him in the kennel. I also used a tie out when I did yard work but I never left him unattended on it. Too many things can go wrong. Buy the stakeout that looks like an arrow at the end. Believe it or not, it was much more secure than those screw in the ground stakes. Buy a medium size chain to connect to it. I bought a cheap one the first time and he snapped it without much effort. You have a 98% chance that Yuri will be digging to china while he's on the tieout. I agree with Jen about more training when you open the gate door. I have taught my two a boundary when I open the doors to the house and its a lifesaver.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 10:16 pm

When my dogs are on tie outs for an extended period of time, I keep them in an X-Back Harness. http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17

Also for tie out stakes I have these: http://www.meijer.com/s/hurricane-tie-out-stake/_/R-146846;jsessionid=01D998BB9EC05D8F60A65419667C8B88.instance02?cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google_G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Catchall_All_Products_Catchall&kpid=183889
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 5:52 am

When I use the tie out for my two Adobo gets the 30' red nylon lead but Biko has a 30' plastic coated steel cable rated for a 100lb + dog. the tie outs are just for allowing them to be out doors more when they prefer to be out, it isn't a substitute for taking them for walks.

Plus with Yuri approaching (if not there now) "teen time" he'll be close to impossible to catch became he'll keep going straight away from home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tie out suggestions and help!   Tie out suggestions and help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tie out suggestions and help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1