It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter Empty
PostSubject: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 am

Ok so just the last 2 days Dakota has decided to start humping my 5 yr old daughter. He is fixed and has been fixed since he was 6 weeks old due to an undesended testicle. I pull him off and tell him no but 2 seconds later he's right back on her. So we started doing time outs and putting him by himself when he does it. the second she comes back in the room he's on her humping away.

we feed her first in front of him so he see's she gets food first and we have her giving him training commands. I've even had her alpha roll him to try to get through to him that she is higher in the pack than he is but he's just not buying it lol.

Any ideas on what to do?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 8:32 am

I believe he's trying to -˚l,,kmjnb cev÷
show dominance over you're daughter.

Perhaps you should get you're daughter involved in correcting him w/you're supervision of course. Maybe give you're daughter Dakota's treat's and let her make him work for them, such as sit, stay, lay down, OFF, etc. Maybe then he will view her as a higher person and will less likely try to hump her.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 am

I agree...it's a dominance issue. Nikko has been neutered since he was 4 months old and he used to hump my leg ALL the time. I mean he would put his front legs around mine and squeeze tight and go to town. Since I have gotten Yukon he has not done it to me, but he always humps Yukon almost every chance he gets.

It sounds like he is trying to establish himself as alpha over your daughter, so I would agree that you can tell him no every time, but that won't necessarily stop it. I would also suggest getting your daughter involved in correcting it.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Danzig has been fixed since he was four months and has tried to hump me twice, while I was playing with him on the floor. Ever since that, I don't get down on his level while playing. He still humps our GSP that's two years older.
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 pm

so he tried it again this morning so i had katie tell him to leave it and then had her alpha roll him and he hasn't tried it again in the past 3 hours. I'm also going to have her do an extra training session with him too.

I know it's hard for him because katie flounces around and flops on the floor and acts like prey. She comes in the room and you just see that alert sit and stare from him. He's only 5 months old so i'm hoping it will get better as he gets older.
But as he is 30lbs now and my daughter only weighs about 38 pounds pretty soon he's going to out weigh her.and i need to nip this in the bud quick fast and in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Another thing that helped (which I am not sure if this will be possible yet), is when Nikko would do that to me, I would hold him down on the floor and lay on top of him. I would not put my weight on him, just constrict him so he could not get up. Other than that, I would just tell him NO and walk away.

Another trick that my trainer suggested is that if he starts humping your leg, put your knee out so he runs into that first. Don't knee him in the chest hard or anything, just prevent him from latching on. Of course that doesn't work if he jumps on your back LOL

Or you can do what I did and get a 2nd dog ;-)
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm

when he jumps on my daughter he's pretty much the same height as her lol so the knee thing won't works but the alpha rolls seem to be helping, she pins him down untill he relaxes.

I've actually been contemplating getting him a playmate... i think part of the problem is b/c she is the same size as him he thinks she is another dog.

when she's sitting on the couch and he jumps up next to her i tell him to get off and he looks at her then looks at me as if to say ... but she's on the couch.... roflmao
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Getting Nikko a playmate really helped with the dominance issues towards me, however it just transferred those instincts to the puppy from me. He also seems less bored. The down sides are that if you give one dog attention, the other seems jealous. Also, it is difficult to train one dog if you have a puppy, that’s why I waited until I was finished with Nikko’s training before I got a new puppy. However I am finding it difficult to be able to devote training to the puppy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter   Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter Empty

Back to top Go down

Fixed dog humping my 5 year old Daughter

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1