It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Growth spurts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. I was curious if anyone could shed some light on growth spurts? In particular, when do husky puppies typically go through them? I'm curious to see how my puppy, Maya, compares in size to a purebred husky, and also curious to guess how large she will get. She's a week shy of 7 months, weighs 35 pounds or so, and is about 16-17 inches tall. I was wondering how this compares to a purebred female of the same age? Now, Maya is a mixed breed (father is a purebred sibe [weighing aprox. 70 lbs, he's a big boy]; mother is a chow chow x aussie shepherd cross [weighing approximately 40 lbs, but very short, maybe 16 inches tall]). I do understand that it will be difficult to estimate Maya's full grown size. Anyway, I'm just wondering if puppies typically hit another growth spurt after 7 months?

EDIT: I feel like a bad mom, but I just went back through pictures and realized Maya's birthdate is April 14th, making her 2 weeks younger than I thought... Eep! She's actually only 6 months and 1 week. (I realize the mistake I made was that I was counting months as every 4 weeks, when they are really generally about 5 weeks long...)

Last edited by GalacticPup on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Good question! I'll be following the answers, too!

Callie's 6 months old and she's got a lot of excess skin right now so I'm assuming she's got another growth spurt in her. Plus, I can't imagine her staying this small forever!

My vet told me 6 months is as big as dogs get and then they just fill out more but since bringing that up here, everyone's refuted that and said they continue growing in all directions through a year. Guess we'll see!
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Yes, I would like an answer for this as well. Anna is almost 8 months and my boyfriend keeps calling her a mini husky because she is still short. Hahah. She weighs 32lbs and I'm not sure how tall but I will be sure to measure her when I get home. Just seems like she is getting the length of a husky but her legs haven't grown. Hope that makes sense. Hahah
Back to top Go down
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Shae- yes, my vet told me Maya would not get much larger either. It's really hard to believe, as she's so petite right now!

Ellen- 32 pounds does sound small for 8 months, but when you think about it, 35 pounds is relatively normal for a female husky, according to the AKC standard at least.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:36 pm

I am not concerned about her weight too much because I know she eats and is healthy just her height. Haha. Plus that was a couple weeks ago when we weighed her at the vet, so she might have gained a few pounds.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Interesting! Juneau was born on April 22nd! She just turned 6 months. She is 37 pounds and ~17 1/2" tall (she kept moving around but I'm pretty sure she isn't taller than 18").

I believe females are supposed to get 50-60 LBs and 20-23" tall. Even at this small size, she's got great strength for pulling! -.- lol

I went to a Pet event last weekend with my fellow Husky Rescue. I asked her if Juneau was a normal size for a 6 month old Husky. The lady told me that if she had to guess her age soley on the weight/height, she would say that Juneau is around 8-9 months. I'm guessing she's a little bigger for her size.

I haven't noticed her getting any bigger in the past few weeks. Or maybe I just can't tell.
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 pm

While I have a male, and probably doesn't really apply to the gals as much. he is about 20 inches tall and 38 pounds as of last week. He is 7 months. I wouldn't worry too much I think for females the breed standard is:
Dogs, 21 to 23½ inches at the withers.
Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers.

Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds.
Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds

according to the AKC Smile
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm

So I think she is about 17" tall. Just seems short. Hahah.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Ares is a couple days shy of 10 months. He weighs 50lbs and is 20" tall

When we got him at 5 months, he was 17" and 38lbs

I think at this point he's full grown, just will be filling out. Embry and Zoey both hit their top height by 12 months, just gained about 5 lbs filling out
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 11:41 pm

The six month thing is not true. Balon is over 8 months old and still growing, he gained 10 pounds in 5 weeks, he weighs 47 pounds right now. And he really shot up in height, I haven't measured that though. My vet feels he will be about 55 pounds like his Dad. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Callicocat wrote:
While I have a male, and probably doesn't really apply to the gals as much. he is about 20 inches tall and 38 pounds as of last week. He is 7 months. I wouldn't worry too much I think for females the breed standard is:
Dogs, 21 to 23½ inches at the withers.
Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers.

Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds.
Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds

according to the AKC Smile

Is 38 pounds around the norm for a 7 month old male? About a week ago Ezio was weighed at 48 pounds and he's 7 months old too. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 pm

I dont think it is uncommon. He eats about 1.5 pounds of meat a day and looks good i can only feel his last few ribs. He might just hit a growth spurt soon and jump up. I weighed him today and he's about 40 pounds.

I think as long as each dog is healthy it really is hard to judge them as there is a lot of variety in the breed.
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Callicocat wrote:
I dont think it is uncommon. He eats about 1.5 pounds of meat a day and looks good i can only feel his last few ribs. He might just hit a growth spurt soon and jump up. I weighed him today and he's about 40 pounds.

We've been trying to figure out if Ezio will be a big husky or not (sort of hoping he will be), so I got excited when I saw the 38 pound comment! But I guess there's not any real way to tell when they're still growing. We'll just have to wait and see. The Shocked was at the difference, not trying to say yours is too small or anything! Razz
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Ya man I get pretty paranoid thinking my guy is too small in weight but compared to other huskies Ive seen he looks pretty good. I took him to the dog park the other day only to realize he's not a small puppy anymore considering he was bigger than some of the other dogs hehehe
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Callicocat wrote:
Ya man I get pretty paranoid thinking my guy is too small in weight but compared to other huskies Ive seen he looks pretty good. I took him to the dog park the other day only to realize he's not a small puppy anymore considering he was bigger than some of the other dogs hehehe

They grow SO fast! I can't believe only a few months ago I could pick him up no problem. Now I struggle and only my husband can hold him. And he chases all the smaller dogs at the park even though we try to make him stop. Ugh. Growth spurts? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Growth spurts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growth spurts?   Growth spurts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Growth spurts?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1