It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Leaving Dogs in Cars?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

Leaving Dogs in Cars? Empty
PostSubject: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:04 pm

I was wondering what your guys opinions are on leaving dogs in cars? I'm not talking about when it's hot (or even too warm/sunny) and the heat is dangerous. But when it's cool and cloudy and there is no temperature danger. Phantom has separation anxiety when left at home, and while we get it under control it resets when we move. So it'll be a couple months before she can be left home alone again and not go crazy. She just sleeps when left in the car but I always worry she will get stolen. Or some crazy person will think she needs to be "freed." I like to take her and leave her in the car when I run errands (generally a max of 30 minutes in a store), but is it too risky? Granted we've done this off and on for 3 years with no incident but I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it safe to leave a dog in the car in store parking lots (when the temperature is cool)?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm

I will take Bode with me occasionally if it's going to be a quick trip (under 20 min). I'm more worried about him destroying my car because of his puppy tendencies.

My parents leave their 8 year old Brittany Spaniel in the car for long periods of time if necessary when it's cooler and it's never been a problem.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 2:02 pm

here in CO i see dogs in cars at the ski resorts in the parking lot, i have thought of doing that with S&J as we could get stuck in traffic and be gone longer then i think but i do worry about then eating the E. as far as running around town with them in the fall/winter when its cold i do it but its never more then 30min and the E is big with tinted windows and they chill on the floor so they are not so visible to people unless they end up in the front seat. i think its up to the area you are in and how your dog reacts in the car if you feel safe leaving them in there.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 2:21 pm

I do it all the time with Blaze and Kerian I leave them in the car at stores for no more than 30 minutes. John is always worried about someone stealing the car or breaking into the car to take the dogs.

Oh I left Blaze in the car the first week I got him for like 10-15 minutes and he chewed the safety belt on the passager side in the front. He has never did anything like that since.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm

We leave ours in the car on occasion. Only when it's cold out though and we always make sure the car is in the shade with all the windows cracked enough that they get fresh air but not enough for people to stick their arms in and open the door. Even then, we keep the time they are left to a minimum. If we have to leave them in the car to run into the store real quick we keep it as short as possible, usually they are never left in the car more than 10 minutes. In colder temps like below 45 I am more comfortable leaving them for longer periods like 20 minutes, 30 minutes tops.

There was one time we had Dakota only in the car while we went to the Biltmore in NC. Temps were in the 30's that day and it was overcast all day so we left him in the car for an hour that time.

Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 3:00 pm

I did a couple of times when Saber was young and that was only for 5 or 10 minutes. I don't do it anymore because I don't live in the best of neighborhoods and I don't trust anyone. I feel bad for Saber because he absolutely LOVES going on car rides. The only times he gets to go in the car is every two weeks for his standing vet appointment and whenever I go to the drive thru at the bank.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 pm

I wish I could; Kale flips his lid when left alone in the car. I've left him while going to the ATM machine at the bank (1 min tops), and he panics. If I left him form 5-10 mins, my car would be demolished LOL Leaving Dogs in Cars? 1625187496 Kale is such a turd sometimes. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 pm

We do this occasionally. A couple of weeks ago, while on the way to a dog park we had lunch and parked them next to the patio while we ate for about 30 minutes. Wyatt just stared at us the whole time and it was pretty funny.

Generally though, I don't take them anywhere unless they are going to get out of the car and do something with us.
Back to top Go down
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 6:20 pm

NadirCs wrote:
I was wondering what your guys opinions are on leaving dogs in cars? I'm not talking about when it's hot (or even too warm/sunny) and the heat is dangerous. But when it's cool and cloudy and there is no temperature danger. Phantom has separation anxiety when left at home, and while we get it under control it resets when we move. So it'll be a couple months before she can be left home alone again and not go crazy. She just sleeps when left in the car but I always worry she will get stolen. Or some crazy person will think she needs to be "freed." I like to take her and leave her in the car when I run errands (generally a max of 30 minutes in a store), but is it too risky? Granted we've done this off and on for 3 years with no incident but I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it safe to leave a dog in the car in store parking lots (when the temperature is cool)?

My boy has separation anxiety as well. I tried crate training, and he ended up damaging the crate and hurting himself.

So, I have no choice but to leave him in my car. (It's an SUV, so he has plenty of space in the back.). Obviously, when its hot outside and there's a danger...or I'm at work..., I either leave him with a dogsitter or take him to doggie daycare.

And he sleeps while he's in the SUV - no problems with it at all. I think he prefers it this way because he KNOWS we're coming back to the car soon.

I worry that my boy will be stolen too. Thankfully the back windows in my SUV are tinted, however I still park as close as possible so I can see him or get to the car quickly.

He's only in the car for a max of 2 hours on cool days (windows open a bit) and on hot days its no longer than 15-20 minutes (with car running with remote start, windows closed, and air conditioning on full blast.)

I find it works for me.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 6:37 pm

I don't really have that luxury in Texas, lol. It's usually 95-100+ most of summer. One week it will be 60, next week it will be 80. I've only left her in the car a few times for 5 mins in the morning while I went into the store to buy a kolache. It was about 75 each time I did it. I'd never do it for more than 5 minutes though. Too paranoid!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:25 pm

I have done it travelling when we go in somewhere to eat, about 45mins to an hour. My E is like alcatraz though and stealing wolves takes guts. lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 pm

I do it all the time. Adobo & Biko get PO'ed at me if I leave them home.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:21 pm

I do it all the time, but that is because I'm on the road back and forth between home and GF's town. But Mia has never been in the car alone for more than 20 mins. I either always park in the shade with all 5 windows in my truck cracked about 2-3 inches or where I can visibly see her if I am somewhere with windows for a short period. This usually is when I am leaving my town or the GF's town. Needless to say, my truck has sooooo much Mia pillow stuffing in it. haha!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I do it maybe once a week. If I need groceries on the way home from work or if I need to pop in to get something before the dog park or lake. With Ewe now I'm not so nervous, he's so barky, people are easily turned away.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 pm

I used to do it with Embry all the time as long as I knew I'd be under 15-20 minutes, or if Keaton and I would both go, and one would stay in the car with him.

Now, not so much. With three I know I'd come out to the car eaten. We're already missing a backseat seatbelt in the E thanks to Zoey...
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 1:33 am

I do it all the time with Bodhi.
But
1) Not on hot days
2) Not in sketchy neighborhoods
3) Not for long

The rear windows in my truck are tinted. Somebody would have to get close to see him, harnessed to a seat belt in the back seat. Still I worry when I leave him...

Bodhi loves the car. He's a great traveller, unlike the two huskies I had before him who would whine constantly. He watches out the window or lies down when we drive..
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 am

I do it all the time with Titus and Lycan when I have to get some groceries. They won't do anything naughty.
I always leave all the windows slightly open, keep the car in shade and will never leave them in the car if the day is too hot.
I don't really worry about them being stolen as not much people will want to go near big dogs (70lbs for Titus and 77lbs for Lycan) here and Titus always growls when strangers put their hands on the car. I've seen it a few times when people lean on my car. I'm always more concern about the heat.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 pm

I don't risk it,(I mean them eating my car lol) f I think I have to make a stop, and I want them to come, I take someone with me, that way they can stay in the car with whomever I can wrangle into going lol
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 12:36 am

i have a pt cruiser there is no way i could drive home with dakota and groceries in the car and still have food to bring in once i got home lol but i would have one stuffed dog. the longest he gets left in the car by himself is mabey 5 to 10 min, otherwise i'd come out to a frame of a pt cruiser and shredded everything else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Dogs in Cars?   Leaving Dogs in Cars? Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaving Dogs in Cars?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1