It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am

amymeme wrote:
Congratulations - that's a happy husky beside you!  And so beautiful I love you So it looks like he already had his Champion - where do you go from here?

Well, good question! Denali is essentially done in the conformation ring, he is not a dog I am going to special (which is show beyond the CH to get to GCH and higher). He'll continue working toward his Sled Dog and Working Dog titles and perhaps dive into some obedience/rally in the future. Who knows!

MiyasMomma wrote:
You have such beautiful huskies, Congrats with all of them. On a side note I want to personally thank you for taking the time on the forum to educate us on conformation, and to fully explain terms, illustrate what is correct conformation and more importantly explaining the breed standard. Not only are you bettering the breed, but you educate the rest of us in "layman" terms, on how important it is for all of us to better the breed.

Thank you Smile and it's my pleasure to share my love of the breed and desire to keep the breed structurally and genetically healthy for future generations to enjoy as much as we get to!
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 12:26 pm

I've seen your pictures of Denali elsewhere and still have to admit I love that dog!! You have some beautiful friends there!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Lani - since you have lots of experience with huskies and it looks like, outdoor kenneling, I have some questions re: winter and indoor/outdoor dog acclimation.

Ami's original purpose was to be totally outdoors, to deter the deer, bunnies, woodchucks, raccoons, chipmunks etc that eat the landscaping and vegetable garden. (I was not planning on a rabid raccoon, however Mad ). Now, though, we've found Ami really likes house time - he comes inside in the morning for breakfast- that's usually brief as he's rarin' to go for his morning walk. But now, he likes to come in for dinner time (Wayne likes to "treat" him at the dinner table - I now have to put an extra spoon and a cocktail fork at Wayne's place with a custard cup of bits of human food Rolling Eyes ). After dinner and his evening walk, he sacks out under the kitchen table while we watch a movie until I put him out overnight - sometimes that can be as late as 2 AM.

I don't want him to become de-conditioned to cold - he does have a dog house that will be filled with straw for winter (actually, 2 dog houses - don't ask CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 1625187496)  The basic question is, how much house time do I allow and still keep him in full winter coat and acclimated to cold (we can get as low as -20° though that is rare - usually overnight is in teens to single digits with rare occasions down to -10. Winds at times can be an issue though I have sited his dog house facing away from prevailing winds.)

If you want to answer - either here or PM is fine. I thank you for any insight you may have.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Generally our routine is someone is in the house daily at least once a week. Multi day stays after the 'traumatizing' events such as BATH DAY or vetting. Extended stays for the ladies when they are in season. At most the girls will be in the house for a month with observed yard time a couple hours a day. They do well retaining their coat and keeping their cold weather conditioning. For the most part they spend a lot of time in the yard and nights in the kennel runs. We build all of our own dog houses and use straw or cedar chips for nesting in the winter months. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions Smile
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 pm

They look great! can't wait to see them this year in harness.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Me too- I'm done with the heat! I am longing for cooler temps and the serenity of the the trails with my dogs
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 am

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Generally our routine is someone is in the house daily at least once a week.  Multi day stays after the 'traumatizing' events such as BATH DAY or vetting.  Extended stays for the ladies when they are in season.  At most the girls will be in the house for a month with observed yard time a couple hours a day.  They do well retaining their coat and keeping their cold weather conditioning.  For the most part they spend a lot of time in the yard and nights in the kennel runs.  We build all of our own dog houses and use straw or cedar chips for nesting in the winter months.  Feel free to PM if you have any other questions Smile

Thanks for the reply, Lani - you really relieved my mind. Why I am so worried about a husky in cold, I have no idea, especially with Ami's thick, thick coat Rolling Eyes 

I am also glad to see that bath day is traumatizing for others, too (though for me or dog, I don't know which is worse)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali   CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

CH Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot Denali

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3