It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sick of cleaning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Leaddog
Newborn
Newborn
Leaddog

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm

So I just spent 5 hours cleaning and it doesn't look like i did anything lol I still have the couch to dehair and it made me think to ask some of you what type of couch you have? Ours is a microfiber sectional and it seems like I would need to vacuum it twice a day to not have it covered in dog hair!! I have noticed there is alot of static with the fabric so im sure that makes things even worse. We have thought about getting a leather couch but im afraid with one of Malikye's super zoomies it would be ruined.

Also what kind of throw blankets do you have? I love to snuggle on the couch with a blanket to watch tv and they are all covered in hair too lol They are all fleece or yarn but I was wondering if there is a better fabric that wouldn't get so bad...

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 pm

All I can say is: welcome to owning a husky... some members may be coming along with material suggestions soon, but mine just aren't allowed on the bed or in the bedroom so thats the one safe zone.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm

My guy doesn't get on the couch or bed. Between daily brushing and my Dyson vacuum, it isn't too bad (though he's not blowing coat at the moment). oh - and I try to wear clothes that match his hair so it isn't as noticeable.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 9:23 pm

We have a microfiber couch and it's just fine, but Bode still has his puppy coat and hasn't started really shedding yet. Our cat actually sheds more than Bode, and I've never noticed his hair sticking to the couch.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 9:56 pm

^ oh you soon will! lol. We're thinking of getting leather furniture in the future for that very reason. As for blankets, I have the same kind that gets fur stuck to it. I put blankets on the couch and my girls are only allowed on the blankets. They caught on to that idea pretty quickly. It's funny when they longingly stare at the couch when there's no blanket on it. lol.

Sick of cleaning Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

We have a leather couch. However be careful what you choose if you get one. Their nails scratch it and leave marks. Go for a light color.

Or.... just don't allow them on the couch Smile
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Lucian isn't allowed on the furniture, even though he doesn't believe that yet, lol. But I have 2 cats, so I have to vacuum off the couches once a week. My bed is getting covered in their hair though. I moved their liter box and stuff upstairs when we got Lucian. My poor fat cat would not come down stairs at all when we brought Lucian home. I'm sure once Lucian actually starts shedding I'll have to invest in a new vacuum. No leather couches for me......ever. Two cats, neither one de-clawed!
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 12:10 am

Ezio won't jump on the furniture. He slept in hotel beds with us, but now that we're settled in we've tried goading him up onto our bed and he won't. The couch is off limits, but he hasn't tried anyway. Our red couch is from Ikea and it's awesome. Unfortunately red isn't the greatest color to hide white hairs, so I vacuum the couch 3 times a week... He's a short-haired husky, but he sheds LIKE CRAZY.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 12:39 am

mine are on the furniture all the time. I didn't go with microfiber for that reason. But, I do have slip covers for all of my couches, so that when company is over, I can make them presentable.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 am

We have a leather type futon and no complaints about the hair. The only problem is when she runs and jumps onto it her nails scratch the futon and leaves marks. Sad
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 3:53 am

I only let my girl on my couch with a cover. I've just learned to laugh at the hair now though.

As for cleaning/dusting furniture where hair is, Pledge works wonders for me. Little bit on the cloth and it picks everything up.

Traveling with a lint roller would be a necessity if I cared more.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 am

I have a plain fabric sofa. Lola sits on it sometimes but she prefers the leather chaise by the picture window. I haven't had any problems with nails on the chaise. As far as the fabric goes, I spray it with Static Guard to help release the hair and then I use this little hand held fur remover made by Scotch Brite that I got at Target. During muddy seasons, I have a washable cover to put over the sofa.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a leather sofa. I clean it once a week with a wet rag and light soap. I use a throw blanket to cover the entire cushions lol. I do get claw marks, but if I quickly get the rag and wipe it away, it doesn't show much at all. It's a dark brown color. It doesn't collect very much hair. The blanket has a faux fur bottom and a soft fabric top, almost like velvet but not quite. Fur doesn't collect there either. I guess I got lucky! I still do weekly vacuuming and stuff though.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:15 pm

I have a leather sofa. I clean it once a week with a wet rag and light soap. I use a throw blanket to cover the bottom cushions lol (so if she jumps on it, she doesn't get claw marks). If I do get claw marks, but I quickly get the rag and wipe it away. It doesn't show much at all. It's a dark brown color. It doesn't collect very much hair either. The blanket has a faux fur bottom and a soft fabric top, almost like velvet but not quite. Fur doesn't collect there either. I guess I got lucky! I still do weekly vacuuming and stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:03 am

We have a red leather couch, no problems so far, even with the pups struggling to get onto the couch by themselves. We had a microfibre couch for the first two weeks we had them and that showed all the claw marks on it - so the leather is a huge improvement for us.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 am

We have leather couches, they are pretty easy to keep clean! The fur doesn't really stick to it so you can brush it off... They do hard wearing leather couches with a tougher leather used, more expensive but worth the money.

OR

You could just embrace the fur Wink
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm all for embracing the fur!!

That said, my couches are microfiber and I don't have any problems getting the fur from any of the pets off. They clean easily with a damp cloth. I have found however, that using the damp cloth in short strokes is more effective at removing unwanted hair (a chore we complete about once a month, unless its coat blowing time) than using a vacuum. Just make sure your cloth is damp and not wet. The first time you try it you will be able to tell the difference.

Also when it is wet or muddy, I cover the couches in old blankets that can be thrown in the wash. Its easier than cleaning the mud off the couch.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

I gave up on making there be no dog hair. I have a sign that says its not homemade without dog hair. I just embrace the hair! lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm sick of cleaning too and my vacuum is about to die. Not good!!!

You should have seen the floors yesterday because of the dirt in the yard. I don't know what happens with our grass in the fall/winter. The entire yard becomes all dirt. Then in the summer we have grass scratch Anyways, the dirt is such a pain in the a$$!!! I don't mind the fur, I've learned to embrace it too, but the dirt. UGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

MelissaI wrote:
but the dirt. UGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally understand this. We live in a new subdivision and even though my landscaping is done the dirt that blows is out of this world.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm

No joke - I brushed out Cato last night...I'm not sure where he picks up all the dirt. had to use a whitener on him because he was that dirty...I swear I have to give this dog baths every 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:37 pm

I have a black leather couch, and it is pretty easy to keep clean, but I have to dust it pretty often.

I have probably the worst set up for furniture though. Before I even thought about getting a dog I got all black furniture, so not ideal with having 2 huskies. If I ever get new stuff I am going to go with a light wood.

I also bought the dyson animal vacuum, and it is the best purchase I made!! It works awesome.

I have learned just to live with the fur…mine haven’t really blown their coats yet and I dust about 3-4 times a week, and vacuum 2-3 times a week.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
No joke - I brushed out Cato last night...I'm not sure where he picks up all the dirt. had to use a whitener on him because he was that dirty...I swear I have to give this dog baths every 2 weeks.

Kale's a pigpen too Sick of cleaning 1625187496 He always has a dirty face lol!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

Sick of cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of cleaning   Sick of cleaning Empty

Back to top Go down

Sick of cleaning

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1