It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Food Aggression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

Male Join date : 2012-11-03

Puppy Food Aggression Empty
PostSubject: Puppy Food Aggression   Puppy Food Aggression EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 12:21 pm

I am seeking advice on puppy food aggression. I've searched the forum and read various posts and I'd like to made sure I'm on the right track here. So here's the story. Miska is a 12-14 week old husky female that was a rescue (mother and 5 pups rescued from the pound). We got her when she was about 8 weeks old (too soon in my opinion). I also have a 4 year old blind male husky, 3 yorkies, and one eskie. Before getting Miska we were able to free feed and Smoky (blind husky that we rescued in the summer) has absolutely no food aggression. Then Miska comes along. She wasn't food aggressive at first but has become that way.

My thought after reading what I've read is to quit free feeding and to practice NILIF. I understand the concept but I'm unsure how to apply it. I've taught her a couple of commands using pupperoni. One of them being NO. I put one on the floor and tell her NO and when she relents, I let her have it. So what can I do to make her earn her food...tell her no and make her wait? We plan on letting them eat in separate places when we feed. But, is that really solving the problem? I don't want her to grow up thinking it's ok to fight with the others over resources. We know her mother is a very sweet dog and I'm hoping she turns out the same.

I'd really like to be able to exercise Miska but she's not done with vaccinations and I can't walk her in the neighborhood yet or take her to the dog park. I know I probably should take her to obedience classes and I'll look into that. I watched a ton of Cesar Milan but with her being a puppy I still don't know how to handle her. She's rough with the others (yes, I expected that) and the only thing I know to do is play with her in the back yard. Anyway, I appreciate any feedback.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Food Aggression   Puppy Food Aggression EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Howdy and welcome.

Sounds like you have your hands full with all your pups, but thank you for rescuing and foster. Smile

It may not be aggression at all and instead resource guarding. Not knowing much about her past care or how she was weaned it is very possible she had to assert herself to get food in the first place. It is normal amongst well socialized puppies and with proper training it normally goes away.

I do believe you are on the right track with NILIF training in this case, and for now I would indeed separate her only during feed time until she can be civil around the other dogs. Mine have zero aggression towards each other, but they still get feed a good 5 or 6 feet apart at all times, they can and have eaten out of the same bowl however.

Quote :
My thought after reading what I've read is to quit free feeding and to practice NILIF. I understand the concept but I'm unsure how to apply it.

Basically NILIF enforces that you control all resources to an extent. Food, outside, walks, fun, play are all property of the handler and in order to get any of those rewards the pup must show their willingness to be calm and listen and sometimes do an action in order to earn it. These are a working breed, they do not mind doing menial tasks if the reward is there.

By asking for a small action or even just attentiveness and calmness for an action on your part it starts to instil a sense of respect between you and the pup. You'll probably start to notice a lot more eye contact and manners in no time.

In terms of feeding you can try:

Fill a bowl of her food and hold it slightly above her nose. Let her really sniff it but not see it at all.

Request Miska sit or slowly move the bowl above and over her head so her nose follows it. That movement should help her sit all by herself if not you can apply a bit of a push on her hind to give her a hint.

Place the food down by your feet, not hers, once she is sitting and every time she tries to move forward to it tell her NO and block it... If it becomes too much take the food away for 5 minutes or until she has stopped searching for it and start over.

While blocking allow her to see and smell the food but never get to it.

Rewarding the food is done when she is sitting, giving you distance, and LOOKING AT YOU AND NOT THE FOOD. just because a resource is on the floor doesn't mean it is hers is the idea you are trying to convey here.

I would also think about hand feeding her slowly for the time being. You might get a finger nip here or there, but it will really cement that people can be trusted around her food at all times.

Once she has a firm grasp on that I would probably use the calmest and best behaved pup I had and feed those two alone for some time. Hand feeding Miska while the other one ate beside ME and then after some time beside each other with me stopping any problems... Again for me beside is 5 to 6 feet apart.

Quote :
I'd really like to be able to exercise Miska but she's not done with vaccinations and I can't walk her in the neighborhood yet or take her to the dog park.

A good round of training is more exhausting for her than anything right now. Mental stimulation is HUGE and good enough for the time being.

Teach her tricks or commands in the time being... Alone in a different room if she has trouble focusing, but that alone she help you two form a bond and understanding on how to respect one another.

I'm sure other members will offer some advice as well Smile
Best of luck and come here when you need to vent or any other challenge you have Smile

I hope it helps,
~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Food Aggression   Puppy Food Aggression EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Chris, thanks for the reply and it all sounds like great advice and I'll get started on it right away. It occurred to me that I didn't do a good job of explaining what happens during meal time. When they're all eating peacefully and Miska comes over to get in her bowl and minds her business, everything is fine. When she thinks another one is going to get in her bowl, she starts to growl. Usually what happens is she will go to another's bowl and the others don't like it. I've had to stand there with her leash in hand and be ready to correct....too much stress IMO. I think you're right...I think it's guarding. I've put my hand in her food and have tried hand feeding the last couple of weeks and for the most part, she doesn't give me any trouble...it's just the others. What happened this morning was I let her eat before the others woke up. Then after they woke up, I fed them. I thought they were done and forgot to pick up the bowls and let Miska in from outside. Marshie (my eskie) and Miska nearly got into a fight. I had to separate them and do my best to calm them down. I had to grab Miska's scruff and hold her off and let me tell you, Miska is relentless! I know there's no way to know but it's almost as though she has alpha in her. I don't know...maybe that has nothing to do with it. Anyway, all is well now and I will work on what you stated.

As an aside, Marshie (eskie) is a rescue as well. My wife stays at home and tends to the dogs during the day.

Thanks for the reply!
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Food Aggression   Puppy Food Aggression EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 2:05 pm

I just wanted to report back on Miska's progress. She's much improved over the guarding issue. We make her earn nearly every bit of food and snacks. I've been able to put my hand on and in her bowl and she doesn't show any aggression at all. Teaching "NO" was the best thing so far. I'll keep it up. We also had all of them eat at the same time and this time it was much improved...though I have to keep an eye on her to keep her from stealing. Thanks for the wonderful advice! Now I have to teach her "DOWN" LOL.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Food Aggression   Puppy Food Aggression EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Haha Marshie and Miska sound like my two all the time Razz Yuki has always been very dominant and so every time Cloud wants something she has to try and steal it from him, and of course he won't put up with it. I have to crate Yuki during feeding time so that Cloud can eat all his food before she steals it! Very Happy Sounds like everything is going very well, best of luck for all future training.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Food Aggression   Puppy Food Aggression Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Food Aggression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1