It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hannah wants to go to the dog park!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

Hannah wants to go to the dog park! Empty
PostSubject: Hannah wants to go to the dog park!   Hannah wants to go to the dog park! EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:45 pm

So Hannah was rescued about 4 months ago (end of August). She was a stray that I ended up adopting and long story short we've been together ever since!

Fast forward to today though, I didn't realize all the health stuff that's been skipped throughout her life. The previous owners were negligent and there's no way of knowing what vaccinations she has.

This is keeping me from taking her to dog parks or being around a lot of other dogs.

My question is, what is the best way to approach this situation?

When I first took her in, the first thing she got was a rabies shot which was mandatory, but at the time I didn't want to spend a lot till I was sure that I was going to be able to keep her.

In any case, I've been reading online (http://work4moneyonline.hubpages.com/hub/WhatADogReallyNeeds) about the different things that dogs need over time, but am a little overwhelmed. To my knowledge she's only ever gotten the one rabies that was administered to her this year. Other than that, she has not been tested for any heartworms or anything.

Your suggestions are welcome!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hannah wants to go to the dog park!   Hannah wants to go to the dog park! EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:05 pm

I would call your vet and explain the situation. They'll know how to handle it, and I'd imagine it'd be pretty similar to if you just walked in there with a brand new puppy. Heartworm and fecal parasite testing are a must, heartworm is a lot easier to treat the earlier it's caught.

In general, you want to take your dog in for check ups once a year, and they will give you whatever vaccines are required at that time, since they all have boosters. They'll run the fecal and heartworm testing then as well. Other than the yearly check up, you'll really only have to take her in if she's sick. Also, make sure you pick up a flea/tick/heartworm preventative like Trifexis, so you don't wind up with any new problems.

Besides the vet care, make sure she gets training and socialization. Your vet will indicate when it's safe to go to the park, and once you get the all clear go for it. It'll be good for her to get out and interact with other dogs in a play type situation. Structured training classes are also really good, so check around and see what's offered in your area.

Mostly, relax. We're here to help and let you know what you need to do with Hannah Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hannah wants to go to the dog park! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hannah wants to go to the dog park!   Hannah wants to go to the dog park! EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 am

What a pretty pup! Thank you for rescuing her! I agree - that link is pretty overwhelming and I have two huskies and regularly take them to the vet! Wink

Best bet - find a reputable vet that you can trust not to overcharge you and that takes great care of your dog. Many vets waive the exam fee for a first visit and offer package deals for yearly checkups or will work with you on cost if you're low on funds.

Since you know nothing about her and she was as stray, I would request (and have done myself) a full blood panel as a baseline of her health, to make sure everything is in order. We usually pay around $199 for this type of blood test. They can also test for heartworm. In addition, you can bring in a fecal sample so they can test her poop to ensure she doesn't have any parasites. We got this all done to Chili since he was a stray, in addition to the basic vaccinations he got from the rescue (he was only there 3 1/2 days before we adopted him).

You can get a titer test done to see if she's had any vaccinations and which ones so she doesn't get overvaccinated:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/titer_test.htm

Finally, I highly recommend getting a reputable pet insurance policy to cover any big fees that could occur over the lifetime of your pet and start socking away some money each month to put into a "vet" fund. It makes it much easier to budget for routine and out of the ordinary vet expenses.

Like Meredith said, structured classes are a great way for you to get to know your dog and bond with her. It's also a great way to socialize with other dogs in a safe environment. Have fun! Smile
Back to top Go down
crudick0810
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hannah wants to go to the dog park!   Hannah wants to go to the dog park! EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 am

Depending on how old she is will matter if they do a heartworm test. Heartworm testing at the age of under 1 year is pointless, since it takes at least 6 months for the 'baby' heartworms to grow into adults, which is what the heartworm testing is looking for Smile But other than that, they will do fecals, and some shots are fine to repeat more than once in a year, such as bordatella or kennel cough. More than likely for a dog with no records, my clinic would go ahead and vaccinate, but every vet has different opinions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hannah wants to go to the dog park!   Hannah wants to go to the dog park! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hannah wants to go to the dog park!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1