It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Found a stray husky...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dobiegirl
Newborn
Newborn

Found a stray husky... Empty
PostSubject: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi guys,

well I am and have always been an avid dog lover but I did not love all breeds equally... I am definitely a large dog person, and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much better than a Doberman. I currently have a doberman that I am training in Schutzhund with - he has just achieved his BH.

This morning on my way to get milk, I nearly hit a dog (and nearly had a heart attack!) She is white, has one blue eye and one brown eye with a couple of blue specks. I pulled over and when I opened my door, she jumped in and sat on the passenger seat and then just waited expectantly. She has a collar but no tag and the collar was so tight it has made a mark on her neck. Also, she is so skinny that even with the fur I can see her ribs and if you pat her you can feel her bumpy spine. Otherwise though, she seems to be in good health.

I took her to the vet, not knowing what to do, but she's not micro chipped so they said I would have to take her to the pound. The vet spoke to the pound, and they said because she is so skinny, she needs a foster carer before they can desex her and look for a new home. She also shies away if you go to pat her too quickly so they think she may have been hit in the past and so needs a bit of TLC. They asked if I was interested and I said I would keep her overnight and think about it. So I brought her home and well for my dog it was love at first sight. I have to admit, I find her quite endearing too. She is so different from my dobe, they could be different species and yet there is something about her. I have them together in the yard now, she ate some cat food (wouldn't touch the dog food) and lots of water.

I don't know if she is a pure husky because her tail doesn't curl up and over, it's more like a German Shepherd tail.

I have always thought that huskies were the most beautiful breed of dog, but never wanted one because well, the doberman temperament suits me perfectly and they are very different. That said, she seems so intelligent and so, I don't know, it's like I clicked with her the moment I saw her. Is it true that huskies are not loyal and will escape unless you cage them? My house is doberman proof but then my dog doesn't ever try to escape. And what are they like as pets? We think she's about 3 which is the same age as my boy so she could be perfect but I don't know if I'm husky material. Hope I have posted in the right place. I just know I wouldn't recommend a doberman to everyone and I'm sure it's the same for huskies.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for saving her!

Huskies actually shouldn't have a curled over tail, if they do it's a fault..

Huskies are independent and will run away if they're not kept on a leash, which is probably why she's at your house. When they run, they run.

I love my huskies, obviously why I have three lol. I think they're great pets. They aren't super clingy or dependent.

They can be destructive so they should be kept in a crate if you're not home. They have a high prey drive so they shouldn't be in a home with small animals.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for saving that girl..

I agree with everything Jennet said.. If you are going to keep her for a while crate her when you are not home.

My Huskies get along with alot of other breeds. In fact my male doesn't always like someother huskies.

To find out alot of information about huskies checkout alot of topics on this site. There is alot of information believe me I have learn a whole lot.. I got my first husky a year ago JUly and have learn so much I have also now have a second one who was in a shelter.
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 pm

I am so happy you saved her! 1 month ago i almost hit a husky as well! If i would have known the owner id strangle the person! I was on a road where i couldnt stop or i would have done the same because i LOVE huskies! Thank you for rescuing that poor girl!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 am

At age three, you may not need to crate her. There are some huskies that don't destroy things. You still have to always keep her on a leash if your not in a secured area. Their recall is terrible unless you spend months/years on recall training and even then, they aren't truly trustworthy off leash. They thrive on daily exercise but I would think so would your Doberman so that's probably something you are already used to. Huskies a very intelligent! They decide for themselves if they will obey you. They are a "what's in it for me" type of obey. Lol! Are you thinking you may keep her? If both you and your Dobe are clicking with her then I say go for it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dobiegirl
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:19 am

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, she jumped over my fence into the neighbour's yard and they have a staffy they rescued who nearly ate her. Very scary for everyone involved. I have her in the house now but I'm not sure how to handle this. I have definitely noticed the 'what's in it for me' component, she very obviously knows what sit means but only does it when it suits her. Of course Dobies like to be the same, but if you're pack leader with them, they will do it. They might challenge you for the top spot, but if you hold it, they will do what you want. With her, it's like she's completely submissive and doesn't challenge me, she just doesn't do what I say. She seems to be saying, well what are you going to do if I don't sit? Very different for me.

Give me dominance and aggression any day; this is so much harder.

She's just so sweet though. Not at all apologetic for anything she does wrong, but then she will just come over and want a pat.

One thing though, all of her fur seems to be falling out, I can just grab chunks of it and it comes right off. What do I do? Is it normal? I tried brushing her and like, we coated half the back yard in fur and yet still she looks fluffy. Do I keep trying to brush away the loose hair; is this normal shedding or is there something wrong? My dobie loses hair but not like this.

I have tried to include a picture so you guys can have a look and let me know if you think she is a husky. Found a stray husky... Fiona
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 am

She is probably just blowing her coat which is normal. This tends to happen twice a year when seasons change.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:35 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention all the hair! Um, there will be tons of it even when they don't blow their coat. She's beautiful and looks full husky to me. How tall is your fence?
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 am

You have a beautiful husky with you, based on her weight I want to assume her previous owner neglected her, She is too damn skinny(just an assumption though) I really hope you keep her, You seem to know about dogs, plus you own a doberman those dogs are higly energetic so they can tire each other out perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 am

she's definitely pure bred Husky. and that shedding is her blowing her summer coat for her winter coat. perfectly normal and just part of owning a husky.

How tall is your fence? Where did you find her? Have you tried seeing if anyone is missing her aside from her microchip?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 am

Thank you for saving her! Definitely full husky and looks full of trouble like my little one! Smile LOL Those huskies keep you on your toes but you get addicted to their sweet nature! Smile

You may want to post up a found husky ad on craigslist in your area. She looks thin to me,but in good condition - so I wouldn't make assumptions that she was mistreated. She could be a picky eater, just had worms or a medical condition, so please do look for her owner.

If she doesn't have someone come forward, contact the local husky rescue in your area - you may need to offer to foster a little longer for them to take her. Or you can choose to keep her and while it'll be a challenge, huskies love routine and you guys will settle in after a few weeks. She can be trained - it's just time and consistency. Smile Good luck!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 am

Thanks for saving her, where do you live city wise?
Back to top Go down
Dobiegirl
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 am

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone. She was filthy when I got her but I washed her before that photo was taken - she didn't look that white when I found her lol. She howled the house down during her bath but she was so dirty, I couldn't have her in the house without a bath.

I don't know whether it's unfortunately or fortunately, but either way she is gone. I am a bit sad. The pound called back, she was registered with a lost dog home. She had been rescued 4 days earlier from a farm where she was tied up with puppies. They took her back because they have a much more lengthy process involved in handing dogs over to foster carers and unlike the pound, they wouldn't just leave her here. Reportedly she has escaped multiple times from the first foster carer they had so they are now looking for a new one but unfortunately this means that until that happens, she will be living in a cage.

All seems a bit sad, my dog is all sad now and keeps going to the spots where she slept but I guess it's lucky that she wasn't hit by a car and now hopefully she will find a good home.

I am in Australia for everyone who asked, looking at your signatures it seems that many of you are based in the States but I really appreciate all of your help.

Fingers crossed her future is brighter than her past.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

That's a very awesome thing you did and my my was she a beautiful one. Keep your head up, I am sure someone will rescue her, and now that you have had that shot of husky, you may be slightly addicted Wink but thats normal, just ask anyone on here..lol.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Well since she had puppies mayne try to rescue one yourself!!!! Lol, you probably regret posting on a husky forum now.. We are probably giving you husky fever. It is cery contagious!! Lol
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Well that sounds like good news and bad news. I wonder if you can apply to be a foster home - would you be open to that? That would give you time to see if you're up to the husky challenge! Smile
Back to top Go down
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Thank you for taking care of her, although its sad to see them go, at least you helped her find a home! Smile

Are you considering getting a husky of your own? Huskies can be very addicting and challenging, but awesome at the same time! They're not like other breeds, that's for sure!

If you're considering getting a husky, please considering fostering and adopting one. There are lots of huskies in need of good homes...as you've just seen.
Back to top Go down
Dobiegirl
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 pm

It's so sad, my dog keeps checking all of the places where she sat. I'm worried he hates me because he thinks I took her away Sad
I am about to move states to be closer to family but it has made me think there really are some lovely dogs in rescue. They may have been through terrible things but they don't really show any signs of it. I'm not a puppy person, I only bought a puppy with my dobe because of the training I do, and I will always want one sporting dog who also guards the house etc but I'd like my other dog to be an adult. I know now how much my dog would love a friend and his type is the fluffy, feisty, energetic type - so once we are settled, I'll have a look. Will keep you all posted and thanks again for all the help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found a stray husky...   Found a stray husky... Empty

Back to top Go down

Found a stray husky...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1