It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Trimming Nails

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 am

I have looked at a couple other thread about this amnd tried some thing but nothing really seems to work, not even just some tough love.

Kota WILL NOT let me trim her nails. I can sit and play with her feet/paw all day long and she doesn't care but as soon as I try to clip them she goes nuts. My husband and I have tried literally just bear hugging her and she still wiggles around enough that I am afraid I am going to hurt her. We've tried rewarding with treats and letting her play with the clippers even but she wants no part of it. We also take her to a groomer and they are never able to get her nail trimmed because she goes nuts! I have read about some vets mildy sedating a dog to trim its nail but that seems like it would get rather expensive rather quick since she needs them done so often.

Skyler on the other hand will not even let me touch her paws. I figured it would be that way since she is our rescue and probably hasn't had her paws played with since day one like we have with Kota. Its getting better though I can tell, because at first she was very against me getting anywhere near her paw but now she will SOMETIMES let me run them, but her nails are so long and sharp (unlike Kotas) the they need it so bad. They really hurt, and she is the type the likes to slap you with her paws when she plays/needs something.

I guess we havent had much luck at all with nail trimming, which stinks because they are both so good about having their ears and teeth cleaned.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 am

If you have to muzzle her and then clip them. You can try going slow like you were but just giving a treat to distract her and then clip and then another treat after that.

If the groomer isn't capable of cutting her nails, take her to your vet to get her nails clipped. Vet Techs are trained how to restrain a dog properly for a nail trim while another clips the nail. The longer you wait, the farther out the quick grows and the longer her nails will be even after you trim them.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:14 am

I figured that would be the route that we would have to take. I wasn't aware that vets did nail trimming but I will definitly have to check with them.

We have tried muzzling them both but its not that they get mad or aggresive, its that they thrash around and squirm to much so I cannot get a good cut on their nails. I will deinitly try taking them to our vet though and see if they can cut them. I had heard about the quite growing and what not which is the reason we are trying to knip it in the butt now! Thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 am

You're welcome.

Vets definitely do it. I'm in school right now to be a Vet Tech and one of the first things we learn is how to restrain a dog for a nail trim, and how to do it properly. They probably will charge you more then your groomer, but it'll be worth it since they're properly trained to deal with more difficult dogs.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:23 am

Sounds a lot like trying to wrangle Ava for nail trims...She's awful! I take her to the vet that I work at to have it done, but even then its a challenge. I would definitely suggest a vet over a groomer. Like Jennet says, they know how to handle "special cases" more than groomers do, especially from larger dogs. Whenever I apologize for Ava's behavior (all the time), everyone at the vet just shrugs and says that she's a husky, they tend to do that. At groomers that we've tried before, I apologize for her behavior and they look at me like I have a fiery demon on a leash Sad

I've worked with Ava on having her paws touched since she was 9 weeks old and she's the same way, so Kota being finicky isn't your fault at all. Some dogs spazz over certain things no matter what. Ava's the nicest dog in the world and everyone loves her at work, but the moment that mention trimming her nails, everyone is suddenly busy. She does alligator rolls, squirms, jumps, bucks, kicks (she kangaroo kicked my favorite doctor in the chest once), and screams - and then wants to play as soon as its over. It sucks and I hate seeing her freak out like that, but I don't think I'll be able to break her of it and its something that has to be done. We had a breakthrough the other day where she let me trim her nails by myself at home, but it seems like that was more of a fluke and she's back to being twitchy about her feet again. Good luck with yours!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:37 am

I used to have to cut nails at the big board and train kennel. Huskies are renowned squirmy, fighting, crazy, crying, obnoxious dogs for nail trims. I don't shy away from a difficult trim, and I honestly can't tell you how many huskies managed to climb onto my shoulders, and head, and down my back, and made me chase them around the facility once they realized we were going to the groom room. I've tried every trick in the book with no results. You just end up restraining them... Mixie and Soshanna are dolls for it. They roll on their backs and accept it gladly.. Even Panzer isn't bad, but she's not Siberian, which ii think is why.

Generally speaking, Id be more concerned if you had a Husky who didn't freak for nail trims.
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 am

I am so glad to hear this. Char is the same way, I have always handled his paws, and he has no problem with it until the nail trimmers come out. I usually only get his dew claws cut and that is all. They are the ones that seem to need it the most. He seems to wear down the others outside. I was actually planing to take him to a groomer today to get them done. They are doing $10 nail trims every saturday. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 pm

I saw some differing opinions about groomers, compared to vet techs. To be honest, I wouldn't be to keen on seeing a groomer who didn't come to work okay with the idea of being scratched and bit, and peed on, and smelling like anal glands all day. I do my own dog grooming, since the kennels I worked for always had me double as a groomer, but I reccommend people to the same PetCo I refused to train at, because their grooming staff is phenomenal. They all really know about dogs(perhaps more than a PetCo trainer would) and how to handle them. I'm friends with them so I often hang out there while socializing the pups on rainy days, and I've seen them handle impossible dogs with no sweat more times than I can count. Every groomer is different. Feel them out, you don't want to pay someone to stress your dog out, quick its nails, and give it back to you scarred for life. I've seen that happen before, too, and it sucks.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Today I bought my own pair of clippers. Once the dogs settled down after the initial few nails it only took a couple minutes before they were done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:23 am

clip dogs nails at work all the time. Maggie is good with ears cleaning, teeth and nails. Bath she is a nightmare.

When doing it (because we a lot of big dogs that hate it at work) You have to hold them down and one of you have to praise them and say its okay. I have to do that with a lot of dogs at work. Maggie responds to that in the bath.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 am

Lol, we had a 110lb Mal named Yeyo that was such a baby for a bath, and danced and whined so muuch, he scared the kennel techs. They weren't trained very well at that kennel, though. All you had to do was take control of the situation and show him you were in charge and that he was getting his bath, and he would simmer down. He had just spent 4 yrs as 110lb pack leader over the young girl who owned him, so he assumed lead if you didn't take it. Funny guy, I hope hes doing well
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 am

I hold Anna down and she is perfectly fine. After 4 or 5 times she doesn't really care. She still gets a treat after all her nails are cut and I still talk her through it. A trainer told me to hold her like in the picture below and make her settle and after she is settled then cut her nails. She is perfect.

Trimming Nails 93f048a704c70f9b143d07c818ed6f94_zps6cf33e6e
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trimming Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trimming Nails   Trimming Nails Empty

Back to top Go down

Trimming Nails

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1