It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

We were attacked while walking!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

We were attacked while walking! Empty
PostSubject: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm

So i was out walking my pup last night (like i always do) and at teh tail end of our walk we were attacked by two MASSIVE dogs. me and my husband and Kiba were just about home and it was very dark out but i noticed a smaller woman with two HUGE dogs coming the opposte way on the other side of the street. We got closer and the dogs started growling at us and then all the sudden both of them came charging right for me and my puppy. It happend so fast but next thing i know Kibas on the ground squeeling like a dying dog and the two dogs were snarling and growling on either side of my legs. And what was their owner doing? Just standing there watching the whole thing. so i finally got the flashlight out and shined it on my pup who was pinned on her back to the ground and my husband hauled the dogs off and we briskly walked up the street while he held the ladys dogs at bay. What irks me is that she never apologized, never made a move to stop it, never asked if my puppy was okay. I guess this is as much a vent as it is a call for advice.

Please anyone have ideas how i can prevent this in the future? Im nervous we will see these dogs again because they obviously live in our neighborhood somewhere. I have pepper spray usually but im afraid thats too extreme.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I'd use the pepper spray. Then call the police. It's not your fault she can't keep her dogs under control.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:14 pm

We had an incident here recently where something similar happened, although it was a husky that got maced for going up to some toy dogs. A majority of the people at the dog park along with myself feel that if the owner won't stop the dogs and you have a legit reason to fear for you or your dog I don't feel it's extreme at all. Glad she didn't get hurt. That's my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree use the pepper spray in front of the lady and I would give her an ear full if it was me..

Also call the police if she doesn't make an attempt to control her dogs.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm

I agree, use the pepper spray if you have to. I carry it with me now since dogs are always loose in my neighborhood and Saber doesn't take kindly to strange dogs running up to us. I would have been screaming at that lady and called the police/animal control. Glad Kiba was okay.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes thankfully Kibas fine. She squeeled as loud as a husky puppy knows how so initially it sounded like she was being torn to bits. Im kind of glad she was so loud though b/c i hope it scared that lady. Im also very surprised we didnt get bit with the way they were acting towards all of us.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

thank god you and your family are ok. i would have been LIVID. as a matter of fact, i AM a bit livid for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I ALWAYS carry mace, even when I'm not with Kale. I've recently had to warn someone that if they don't leash their dog and they charge me I won't hesitate to use it. They immediately leashed up and went on their way. You can get it at more sporting goods stores. I feel more protected when I carry.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Definitely agree with the mace or pepper spray.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:22 pm

well i have a little pepper spray i got at Dicks that i carry when i go for runs. Me being not the most experienced dog owner i never thought to have it as protection against other peoples dogs until yesterdays scare.

I was very mad in the moment but all i could manage to say was "GET YOUR DOGS" since she just stood there. Although in my head i had a lot of choice words i was thinking lol.
Back to top Go down
Crispin
Newborn
Newborn
Crispin

Male Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:10 pm

We had a similar incident last weekend at the dog park with Crispin being attacked by three dogs. The owners were equally un-remorseful, even making a comment about how this probably will make him stronger for having happened. We ended up seeking out some advice from our vet, puppy class instructor, and the trainers at his daycare to see if anyone had recommendations.

Crispin is in or approaching his 6-8 month fear-period so for the next month or so we're walking him when other people/dogs aren't out and he's going to a puppy playgroup instead of the dog park. This is just a temporary precaution as we were told by the trainers that he's more likely to be attacked like this during adolescence.

We were instructed to get as much information as you can about the owner (name, contact information), and the dogs (municipal license number, age, breed info) in the future. We didn't get this information as we didn't know to initially and were more concerned with getting out of there, so when I filed our report with our local Department of Animal Services all I could do was describe the dogs. Our municipality issues citations for the inability to control animals, will revoke the dog park permit, and may take other actions as necessary so they strongly encourage owners to file a report with any information they have. We were also told that if we encountered them again in the future and got the missing information we could update the report since it had been filed.

I'm not sure how I would feel about pepper spray. It seems like it would work to keep a dog away, but if Kiba gets surprise attacked like Cripsin was (the dogs came over as if to say "Hi" and then jumped him without warning) it wouldn't be great because you'd end up macing Kiba too.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm

KibaHope wrote:
I was very mad in the moment but all i could manage to say was "GET YOUR DOGS" since she just stood there. Although in my head i had a lot of choice words i was thinking lol.

Kudos to you - I would've let my mouth rip her apart... I don't have a filter when it comes to Stark. LOL
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Definitely go with your gut. I'm a chicken when it comes to confrontation, but when it involves Juneau, I'm super-mom!

You should have used the pepper spray. In TX, we have a leash law. They are automatically at fault if their dog is unleashed, no matter the circumstances. Check your area for similar laws.

You won't believe how fast people react when you stand your ground. They turn into a bunch of cowards. Next time they show up (if they do - hoping they don't), threaten to use the pepper spray and I'm sure they'll snatch up their moronic dogs in a heartbeat.

We live in a cynical world. It's sad to see the people that follow the rules are the one to get hurt. Stay safe out there!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Crispin wrote:
I'm not sure how I would feel about pepper spray. It seems like it would work to keep a dog away, but if Kiba gets surprise attacked like Cripsin was (the dogs came over as if to say "Hi" and then jumped him without warning) it wouldn't be great because you'd end up macing Kiba too.

Flush with normal saline for 3-7 minutes, and they should be fine. Just like with people.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Happens to us ALL the time and people don't care.

1. Buy Animal Shield at Petsmart - it's a citronella spray and deters animals - they hate the smell.
2. Buy Mace - I bring out the big guns if there's an aggressive dog but try the animal shield first. So far, knock on wood, I have no had to use it.
3. Have a plan. Hubby and I have a plan - one takes the dogs and backs away while the other one kicks the other dogs away. We each carry spray.
4. Have animal control and the police on speed dial on your phone. Carry your phone in an accessible place and when the situation is safe - take pictures of the perpetrators for proof and identification.

I always try to speak nicely to people and remind them of leash laws. If they are remorseful, they get a nice lecture. If they are asses, they get reported to animal control and get a nice letter from them about leash laws and that the incident is on record.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Careful about the mace because it can blow back at you - which is why I mainly use the Animal Shield.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm

I'll have to get the Animal Shield! Didn't know about that!! I'll have to start carrying both.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:00 pm

That happened to me once when I was out with Bella, two rotwielers one started unleashed and was bothering Bella and then the other slipped it's owners hand and grabbed her by the neck. I pushed my way in between them seperated them after a struggle and picked up Bella and bolted. The guy was terrified and really sorry about the whole thing and Bella was no worse for wear so I didn't report it. I now carry the pet shield with me at all times and if I see an unleashed dog that doesn't make my heart soar with confidence we leave the situation.
Bella doesn't like other dogs too much now and I think that incident has a lot to do with it so make sure to resocialize your dog ASAP so KIba doesn't have that issue too.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 am

Animal shield sounds like a good idea. We def need to keep having positive socializing experiences. She's very friendly towards other dogs and I'd hate for her to become fearful. I like all the ideas and realize I never had a plan but that I should in case it happens again. Crispin, if someone's dogs did that to mine at a dog park and told me it would make her stronger I'd kick him and say "it will make you stronger in the end" ..lol okay I would only do that in my head. Hollywood huskies, I did have that thought about pepper spay hitting me and kiba too if I did have to deploy it. If a dog was truly hurting her I wouldn't even hesitate but animal shield sounds best for a less threatening situation . I hope they have it at petsmart.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 am

Another thing to to think about, because it has happened to me, is to really watch the people around you. A guy was acting really interested in Kale and started following me, I'm assuming to find out where we lived. So i added another 45 minutes to my already hour walk, with this guy behind me. Finally he got tired of walking and decided to head back to the park. I went a different way home. Carry a cell phone! I had forgotten mine at home that day; I learned my lesson. (this was when Kale was under a year)
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 2:49 am

I have been sprayed with peppper spray when I was in the military and it hurts like a sob. I never heard using saline. I used water and baby shampoo multiple times because pepper spray reflashes and it feels like getting sprayed all over again.

The pepper spray I got was 18-22% concentrate while the commercialized stuff is 10%
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 am

Huskies are used as bait dogs...good thing you lost that guy!!

Karli has been attacked a couple times at the dog park. My hubby picks her up and I push the dog away. She screams to high Heaven about it too. The people are pretty good about removing their dogs out here though. But I am going to look into Pet Shield because dogs slip the base housing fences all the time and love to charge us. So glad you guys are OK though!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:32 pm

maybe its a dumb question but what is a "bait" dog?

Also, iv heard of people stealing husky puppies before. a lady down the street from me told me hers got stolen when she was living in another town adn it was when she had it in her backyard for a little bit one morning. She told me it was a very young puppy and theres no way it could have gotten out or jumped so shes pretty sure someone took it. It definitely makes me more aware when im out. I wouldnt say im paranoid but if i feel like someones following me or watching me i try to change up our route. Not to mention a young woman by herself at night with a puppy isnt the safest thing so thats another reason why i try to be aware of my surroundings.

if i knew someone followed me though id probably call someone to pick me up . you did the right thing by throwing that guy off.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

We don't really have a bait dog problem up here in NorCal, that's more a SoCal thing unfortunately. There's a LOT of cock fight here though (farm labors do it in their free time, NOT ALL, but a lot do). I think he was assuming that he wasn't neutered (he was) and that he could take him and make some money studding him out and selling his "pick of the litter". That's more common in this area. Sad Stealing people's dogs, breeding them, and making a profit.

A "bait dog" is usually a defenseless puppy that gets thrown into dog fights with the intention of them losing. It's "training" the aggressor how to kill. Crying or Very sad It's disgusting, cruel, and subhuman. (I had a few other choice words but they are inappropriate for a public setting)
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

So Cal is unfortunately out of hand with dogs : dog fighting, backyard breeders, irresponsible owners, pet stores, people moving and giving up dogs, abandoning dogs in foreclosed houses, etc. It's also a great place to take your dog everywhere, great dog supply stores, doggie day cares, etc - so we put up with the bad to get the good.

The best defense is a prepared, alert owner!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We were attacked while walking!   We were attacked while walking! Empty

Back to top Go down

We were attacked while walking!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next