It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Doggie Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 pm

So the last 2-3 days Dragon has had horrible diarrhea, like the squirts for real. Poor baby I didn't know if maybe he could have worms or something so I called the vet and they said bring him in. He ended up having a slight fever at 102 degrees and she checked him for worms and some other things. Everything came out negative but she gave me an antibiotic for his fever and also to Kill anything she might have missed. I'm wondering if it could be his food but I don't know. He's been sleeping for 2 hours now since we got home.

Side note: I got my teaching license in the mail (yippee!) which is what I've been working towards since last August. Still have night class this semester and I have to finish my masters but I can now teach in the meantime! I'm so excited! I can't really say anything about it at work so I just wanted to tell someone Smile
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Congratulations! I did the same thing: teaching & masters classes at night. It's a great feeling!

Best of luck to you and your pup!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:48 pm

102 degrees in dogs is not a fever at all. Normal ranges for dogs temperatures are 100.5-102.5. anything over 102.5 is considered a low grade fever, or severe anxiety. I don't know why they said that he was running a "fever" lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:16 am

Find some canned plain pumpkin puree and feed him some of that, should help with the diarrhea. I always have a can in case of problems and it clears up that symptom quickly plus bella absolutely LOVES it.
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 1:25 am

We actually got him some live culture Greek yogurt which is what the vet suggested and he loves it! But if he is still having a problem in a few days I will try the pumpkin. Brooke she did say it was low grade but to me if someone says fever I'm like what?!?! Lol. He has been super chill and been sleeping all day since we brought him back and I wonder if that's from the medicine or if he's feeling bad or if he's just pouting from having his private areas violated for fecal tests and temp readings at the vet haha. Who knows I just want him to feel better and whatever that takes.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 1:41 am

102 isn't low grade, it's in the normal range lol idk maybe some vets are different, but temps in dogs are standard. I'm just letting you know that it's not a fever and the antibiotics for the fever are unnecessary. What did they prescribe?

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/high-fever-in-dogs
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 am

Over feeding and changes in diet can cause diarrhea. Over feeding is one of the most common causes as many people feed off of the food amount chart printed on commercial dog food bags which is always too high for the breed. On the note of the fever, Brooke is spot on, 102F is not a fever that's a normal temp for a dog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
coltincl
Newborn
Newborn
coltincl

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am

I second the over feeding for a major cause of diarrhea in puppies.
There are not many books that I recommend for Husky owners, as many of them are generic with just breed specific photos, however the one book I recommend every dog owner to have is the Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook. It does not make you a vet, but it helps when you have those questions and problems that you may not have encountered before.
This looks like a much newer edition than mine, but the authors are still the same.
http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Owners-Home-Veterinary-Handbook/dp/0470067853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359194370&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+owners+home+veterinary+handbook

Think of it as a first aid guide for pet owners, it does not replace the vet, but it can answer some questions.
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 pm

The fever was actually 102.7 so I don't know If that makes a difference. I'm not an expert on dog fevers so when the vet tells me something I usually go with it. Plus she acted like it was a precautionary measure more than anything. He's taking something that starts with an M. Ill have to go look in a minute. It's just for a week then he's done.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Metronitozole? It's an intestinal antibiotic. That one should help get rid of all the bacteria, I mean all! Lol I'd use a probiotic with it to replenish what the metro is killing; intestines need good bacteria to operate normally and be healthy. I use live culture Greek yogurt with Kale. Smile
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah that's it. Yeah we are using the yogurt too he loves the stuff. We gave it on top of his food last night and this morning we put kibble in his dish and he looks at me like "ok now where's the cream?!" Haha
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Haha how cute!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Arya had a bad time of diarrhea about 6 weeks back, she picked up a bug from dirty water while out on a trail. We tried number of things including fasting for 12 hours, we didn't want to fast her too long cause she was only 6 months old.

we took her to the vets as it didn't seem to clear up and we were told to fast her for 24 hours and gave her some antibiotics, but after the fast all was good again but we started back with a bland diet of chicken and rice.

hope he gets well soon

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Giardia (typical bug from dirty/stagnant water) can be confirmed in a stool sample and cleared out with a 3 day treatment of fenbendazole.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doggie Diarrhea   diarrhea - Doggie Diarrhea Empty

Back to top Go down

Doggie Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1